Muscle Shoals, Alabama, David Geffen, Harry Nilsson...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, David Geffen, Harry Nilsson...

Post by Shooshie »

Muscle Shoals, Alabama is a place on the Tennessee River where the water goes shallow and spreads out wide, like a lake, creating a natural habitat for mussels, which grew there in abundance, giving it its name. The name "Muscle Shoals" appears on a map I have from 1806, when it was still inhabited by the Cherokee Indians, and their more militant anti-American faction, the Chickamaugas. It was this sub-tribe which kept American settlement at bay in the area until Andrew Jackson came through during the War of 1812, kicking their asses and eventually rounding them up and sending them to Indian Territory (now Oklahoma). The area was known early to whites because of its ideal farm land, thus its presence on maps before Memphis even existed, and its influence on the political movements of Manifest Destiny that sought to eliminate Indian presence in desirable parts of the New World.

If you draw a line between present day Nashville and Memphis, Tennessee, then bisect it with a tangent heading south-southeast, Muscle Shoals is at a point equidistant from those two cities, but across the state line of Alabama. It's a small town of about 13,000 people, most of whom are descendants of farmers, and the land around there ranges from rolling hills to swamps. In short, it's the kind of place you can live and forget about the hustle and bustle of city life while bonding with the land, hunting, fishing, farming, and living in idyllic solitude. If that kind of life sounds good to you, Muscle Shoals is paradise.

But there's one very, very odd thing about Muscle Shoals, Alabama. It produced more rock & roll hit records than any American city outside of New York, Nashville, and Los Angeles, and I'm not sure about Nashville. By some freak occurrence, described by some as "a perfect storm of rock & roll," a tiny studio in Muscle Shoals began producing hits early on in the rock & roll era. The producer and engineer in MS was Rick Hall of Fame Recording Studios. His musicians on call acquired a nickname "The Swampers," easily the equivalent to L.A.'s "The Wrecking Crew" in their omnipresence and influence on the Billboard Charts of American and British pop music of the 1960s, 70s, and even continuing to the present day. In 1969 the Swampers split from Rick Hall's Fame Studios and formed "The Muscle Shoals Sound" studio across town, also starting in a tiny, nondescript building, but with a client list that defied reason.

FAME Studios:

The clients and hit lists of these studios are a veritable Who's Who of pop music, ranging from Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, and Otis Redding, to Simon & Garfunkle, The Rolling Stones, Leonard Skynyrd, Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, The Allman Brothers, George Michael, Carrie Underwood, Cher, Cat Stevens, Julian Lennon, and more. On the surface it just doesn't make sense. A kid grown up in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, would think it normal to have to choose between being a farmer, a truck driver, or a studio musician. Such a kid would be surprised to visit other towns 10 times the size of his or her hometown and find no recording studio anywhere, or perhaps a studio or two, but catering to locals and never producing a song heard by anyone but their friends and families.

So how did it happen in Muscle Shoals? That was the topic of a recent, decent documentary by that name, which has been mentioned in these pages before. I watched it on NetFlix. It's fascinating, even if it's not the best bit of filmmaking in the world. It's not a bad film, either; it's just that the topic was mainly appealing to me because I had to know the answer to "how'd that happen?" In the end, one has to conclude that it was a combination of timing and tenacity. Rick Hall was determined to be a recording engineer. It's all he wanted from the time he first witnessed someone doing that. And when he started, one needed little more than a tape machine, some microphones, and a room. I think he attributed his success to a single, significant connection who gave him the break he needed. Somewhere in the movie he said that if it hadn't happened, there would be no studio.

That kind of thing fascinates me. Anyone who looks back on their lives will see a string of events that were driven by such connections, tenacity, or even dumb luck. Most of the pivotal events in my career happened because of a chance phone call, a connection made at a party I almost didn't go to, even a weird connection in which my ex-wife began dating a prominent sax player who heard my tapes and flew out to meet me. We jammed for days, and he invited me to play at some important events.

As musicians, we practice for years and years with no clear idea of where it's leading us. I like to say that you practice 10,000 hours for a ticket to the lottery. Then, if your ticket is drawn, you get a chance to show what you learned. From that point, it's a mixture of talent and tenacity, but there are a lot of fine artists whose tickets just never got drawn. Some people have amazing talent, and they love to practice and play, but when it comes to putting that talent in front of people who can help them become successful musicians, they don't even know the first step to take. Some don't know that Nashville and Los Angeles are where people go to make record deals. And that gets back to what is so amazing about Muscle Shoals. Because of the determination of one person, Rick Hall, a lot of local people got a chance to witness the very core of the music industry convening in their little burg, and it was a one-in-a-million chance. I spent the first ten years of my musical life trying to figure out where these things happened.

If you are just starting out in this business, I recommend watching some documentaries to learn about the way things used to happen. Then if you have determination, you will adapt the patterns you see forming around those people lives to your own circumstances and to the present day, and solve the problems of "what steps do I take?" one by one, rejecting rejection and constantly moving yourself toward what you love to do.

Another documentary I saw recently was called "Inventing David Geffen," which I rented at iTunes. I think it's also worth watching for the same reason. You can picture yourself in his shoes, just not accepting defeat, managing a stable of the greatest racehorses of the pop music industry, and later actors, film productions, even becoming influential to politicians. Joni Mitchell wrote "Free Man in Paris" about Geffen, which I suppose is common knowledge, but the documentary humanized him a bit more. I didn't like Geffen for a personal reason: my manager in the 1990s and early 2000s had once asked him about my using Digital Performer, to which he replied "if your guy is using anything but Pro Tools, he's an idiot and you need to fire him." Thankfully, she had a head of her own and was able to comprehend what I demonstrated for her, so I was able to continue using Digital Performer, but I never forgave Geffen for being such a {censored} about something of which he had only 2nd hand or 3rd hand knowledge. After watching the documentary, my opinions of Geffen were more or less confirmed, but the contexts of his circumstances were illuminated, and I found myself understanding him much better. (Still doesn't make him right about DP vs. Pro Tools)

And yet another documentary: "Who is Harry Nilsson?" He was a pop singer in the 1970s. Chances are you've heard at least one of his three #1 hits. I even know a relative of his who is a successful songwriter. But what I learned about Harry astounded me. He was The Beatles' "favorite group." They all hung out with him and seemed to consider him a best friend, as did many other famous pop stars of the age. There seemed to be a consensus, at least back then, that Harry Nilsson was the greatest singer on the planet.

It doesn't really matter whether you agree, or whether you respect these people or not. They were determined to be successful, and they did it. I always learn something from people like that. I also always wonder if I'd have heard of them if one or two of those early connections didn't work out just-so.

Well, now you know what I did while I recently was sick and didn't feel like doing much more than sitting up. I just thought I'd take what I learned and pass it on.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Re: Muscle Shoals, Alabama, David Geffen, Harry Nilsson...

Post by mikehalloran »

"Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers..."

Now you did it. I had to go and put "Son of Schmilsson" on my turntable. Underrated album with a great studio band including George, Ringo and Peter Frampton. When the radio station wouldn't let me play it on the air, I took it home.

Thanks for that.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

All I can say is thanks for taking the time to write this.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

buzzsmith wrote:Excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Buzzy, did you get out to Muscle Shoals a few years back when you took that road trip? Any comments about the place?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Makes me wonder where the Muscle Shoals of this century is going to be - or who is out there right now, becoming another Rick Hall.

You say:
...when he started, one needed little more than a tape machine, some microphones, and a room...
Well, kind of seems like things have come full circle, eh?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

I just recently watched the Muscle Shoals and Harry Nilsson documentaries. I haven't seen the Geffen one but a past GF's sister worked in contracts at Geffen and kept me in a steady supply of crazy insider stories along with pre-release tracks, concert passes, and employee priced box sets (I have all the Chess stuff for instance).

Sound City was a good one to watch too if you like this kind of stuff. It was a bit long, but interesting. I love that insider stuff.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The strange thing is that I grew up so close, and yet didn't know about them until "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" (though by then my family was in Massachusetts).

We went to Decatur a lot, as Huntsville wasn't that big yet, and it allowed us to shop for essentials without having to go to Nashville or Birmingham more than once or twice a year.

My family was strictly into classical and "polite jazz", so it's no surprise I didn't know about them. Even so, everyone in my family is proud of anyone from the area who "makes it" and is musical, and they're fond of "The Blind Boys of Alabama" so there are exceptions to the general exclusivity.

We had a close family friend who had a major hit country record back in the day, but he recorded it in Nashville. I think the Muscle Shoals scene may have kicked in a bit later though.

I skipped the documentary because I heard they focused on the white artists. I've boycotted several recent documentaries for that reason. The one that really impressed me though was "Cadillac Records" a couple of years ago.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Shooshie, yes.

We were in Memphis at Sun Studios on a Sunday and told a guy working the gift shop that we were thinking about driving down to visit the Muscle Shoals studio. He said to be sure and tell Noel "Hi."

I called the studio and they said, "Sure. Come on down."

So Noel gave us a "private" tour which lasted about 45 minutes or so. Vintage UAD console feeding a 24 track, but they could also record to a DAW. I believe they were mid-session with someone, just not recording on this particular Sunday.

Even though this was our "Music Cities/Studios" trip, I completely forgot about FAME! I'm not sure if they were open that Sunday, but I certainly would have tried!

It was only recently that I learned that Noel was apparently not too well liked and eventually left the studio. I believe that the new owners (or maybe the city) are trying to raise money to keep it open and preserve the history of MSSS. I'll find a link later.

In lieu of not visiting FAME, we did get to see the only Frank Lloyd Wright house in Alabama in neighboring Florence which is basically just a continuation of Muscle Shoals (or vice versa).

It was closed on that Sunday but the design was undeniably Wright-ish, and we could peer through the windows and walk around the property.

I do have photos on Facebook which I think are set to public. I'll check later and post that link, too.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

It appears that Dr. Dre's "Beats" is the new owner which was just recently purchased by Apple.

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/20 ... y_mus.html

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Great wrote up Shooshie! Thank you.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mhschmieder wrote:I skipped the documentary because I heard they focused on the white artists. I've boycotted several recent documentaries for that reason. The one that really impressed me though was "Cadillac Records" a couple of years ago.
Well, they focused a lot on FAME owner, Rick Hall, and on The Swampers, who are white, because they are central to the creation and operation of the two studios, but they spent probably the first half of the documentary on the many black artists who actually gave Muscle Shoals its reputation in the early 1960s. I'd say it was pretty balanced, and one of the primary themes was that it was where black & white artists recorded together with equality. I don't think you could possibly say that black musicians were slighted in any way. It's worth a watch!

Shoosh
Last edited by Shooshie on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

buzzsmith wrote:We were in Memphis at Sun Studios on a Sunday and told a guy working the gift shop that we were thinking about driving down to visit the Muscle Shoals studio. He said to be sure and tell Noel "Hi."
In October 1991 I spent a couple evenings hanging out with Phoebe Lewis (Jerry Lee's daughter) in New Orleans. She was a great singer, and certainly impressed me a lot as a person as well as a singer. She took me to meet the people who had acquired Sun Studios and who were reconditioning it as a historical site. I always meant to drop by there and see what they had done. The studio wasn't much to speak of when it was new, so if they made it accurate, they didn't have to do much! What did you think of it?

Shooshie
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I believe they tried (and I believe succeeded) in keeping the actual Sun studio as it was when Elvis recorded his "demo" there back in the '50s. It looks like they did minimal work, at best. We were not allowed in the control room as there was a session ongoing and it probably would have been way too crowded for our tour group.

The only modernization that I saw did not involve the studio, but just the gift shop and the upstairs museum. Pretty sure the studio and the front office look today just like they did back then including the hot spot marked on the floor for the lead vocal mic.

I recommend a visit.

(I put demo in quotes because I've heard that Elvis really wanted Sam Phillips to hear him as a potential recording artist.)

On a parallel historical note, it's a shame that American Sound did not receive the same treatment. It, too, produced hundreds of hits using the "Memphis Boys" with Chips Moman at the helm. During one Billboard reporting period 25% of the Top 100 were recorded at American!

That building is now long gone. I think the land now is home to a Dollar store. :(

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)