Apple announces Mavericks successor - Yosemite

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Apple announces Mavericks successor - Yosemite

Post by Dan Worley »

I dislike Maverick's look and design. To me, Yosemite looks like a huge improvement -- from what I could tell from the keynote.

I very much dislike (with a passion) the look and design of iOS7. Only time will tell, but right now I'm not seeing the same amount of visual improvements in iOS8, but I hope hope hope it will be better.

iOS7 broke a lot of things for visually impaired users (it made it extremely difficult to impossible for them to read the screen), hopefully iOS8 can fix many of those problems.
DP10.13
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:Right. Hence I mentioned earlier, has ANY machine that currently is approved for Mavericks been announced as not compatible with Yosemite (at this point)? (
Ars Technica says that any machine that runs Mavericks can run Yosemite, and the iPhone 4 is the only device that runs iOS7 and not iOS8.

(Running iOS7 on the iPhone 4 was pretty dodgy anyway. I had one, but it was stolen at a church in Rome. I replaced it with a 4S. Big difference.)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep. I have an iPhone 4 and I've purposely stayed behind on iOS 6.1.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I still haven't forgiven iOS7 for gimping the Music app. It's much more dangerous to use in the car now, which is where I use it most. We'll see if Apple sneaks in some fixes in iOS8, but since they didn't say anything, I'm not holding my breath. Too bad, otherwise I like iOS7... maybe a little too spartan for my taste, but still nice, but the horrible dumbing down and disaster that is the music app keeps me pining for iOS6.

One possibility is that in iOS8 you're able to choose a default app for every file type. There are some 3rd party Music apps that are identical to iOS6, but they weren't able to work seamlessly with the OS. With a little luck, maybe they will now with iOS8.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy