Aerodrums

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bkshepard
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Aerodrums

Post by bkshepard »

I just got an announcement about this: http://aerodrums.com/aerodrums-product-page/. Do any of you have experience with this? Check out the videos on both the home page and the news page. It's pretty amazing! :shock:
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
Dan Worley

Re: Aerodrums

Post by Dan Worley »

I'm no drummer, but I'll probably buy it at some point just because it's so cool and looks like fun. I have a real kit at the studio, but it intimidates me.
DP10.13
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

I am a drummer, and this still looks incredibly fun! For $170 it's pretty hard to beat (pun intended!) :D
-Brian

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'd want to see how much latency before a MIDI signal is generated, is introduced by this. (And I hope there's a left handed setup.)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That snare drum demo on the lower part of the page is incredible!! The demo vid doesn't convey what an expressive and precise technology this is. Could this save a maple tree or two?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Don't know about the MIDI latency, but the audio seems to be in sync with the gestures. Unless they've edited the audio track to make it align, I'd say it's pretty darn good. In my experience, it's really difficult to play so expressively if you are dealing with a lot of latency, so I'd guess that it's pretty low.

I emailed them about the left-handed setup and was pleased to get a quick reply from Richard Lee (the drummer in the videos) that there is a left-handed setup. It seems that it's actually quite configurable.

stubbsonic: check out the double-pedal video on the "News" page. :shock:
-Brian

Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Does anybody know the name of the tune used in the main video? It's some gypsy jazz/Django Reinhardt thing. Probably pretty famous ... I heard it once years ago in a commercial and have been trying to find out ever since.

Babz
rentadrummer

Post by rentadrummer »

Babz wrote:Does anybody know the name of the tune used in the main video? It's some gypsy jazz/Django Reinhardt thing. Probably pretty famous ... I heard it once years ago in a commercial and have been trying to find out ever since.

Babz
If you have SoundHound or Shazam on your phone, see if either app recognizes the song. I've done that when watching a TV program and the apps almost always find whatever song is being used for the soundtrack.
Ron
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Wow! I do not have an electronic kit, and if this works anywhere near advertised for the price, it's amazing. I'd be worried a little about expressiveness, etc. but you can always edit velocity after the fact if need be.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rentadrummer

Post by rentadrummer »

The guy demoing the snare drum has some serious technique to be able to get that much rebound from the sticks, without actually playing on a responsive surface.

You could bring your drums to the gig in a Smart car, and still have room left over. :D
Ron
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bkshepard wrote: stubbsonic: check out the double-pedal video on the "News" page. :shock:
:shock: indeed!!!

I had assumed the hat would just be as sucky as it is on ALL electronic drum kits. But the aerodrums hat is IMPRESSIVE!! And even though you can't do foot "splashes" yet, the fact that it gives you all those variations of open and close (seemingly continuous) is amazing.

Yea, this almost seems too good to be true.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

stubbsonic wrote:Yea, this almost seems too good to be true.
My thoughts exactly, but for $170 it's worth the risk. I think I'm gonna have to do it!
-Brian

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I clicked on the link to Aered, which is this developer's drum notation software. There's a video that shows how it works and it is QUITE impressive and well-thought-out. DEFINITELY helps to inspire confidence in this guy's work. :D

Hmmm. And a money-back satisfaction guarantee....

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:Wow! I do not have an electronic kit, and if this works anywhere near advertised for the price, it's amazing.
Amazing is right. I have an electronic kit I use more or less as a quick way to get a basic drum track into DP. It takes up a lot of room that could be better used for guitars. If this works, the electronic kit is history -- it goes under the stairs with the Atari stuff.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Somehow I imagine that the gotcha will be that it takes substantial practice to master playing this thing as you see in the videos. Maybe not quite as bad as Theremin, but... I haven't actually tried it, so I probably shouldn't be saying this, but my gut tells me that if playing an electronic kit is about 75% as satisfying as playing a real kit, then this is probably about 20%. Just strikes me as some sort of gimmick designed to turn heads at NAMM -- which it certainly did. That's been my reaction ever since I first saw the videos back at NAMM time. But I admit my skepticism is unfounded, and I hope to be proved wrong.

Babz