Fix My 828, or Get a New Interface?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Fix My 828, or Get a New Interface?

Post by bayswater »

My 828 Mk 3 is starting to die. The screen flashes on startup, and sometimes it just won’t start up. MOTU says I should send it in for replacement for a modest fee. That’s fine, but I’ve been looking around at other options. The 828 sound is OK but not the greatest. Maybe newer equipment has better sound at a lower cost? Converters at least must cost less than when my 828 was built.

My requirements are now less complicated: a couple of good Mic preamps, 2-4 other analog ins, main and 1-2 headphone outs, and ADAT in and out. Preferably USB, with XLR connectors, and a basic on board software controlled mixer. No live performance, onboard effects or 192K required.

The closest fits I can find: RME Babyface, (about $750) MOTU 16 track (about $550), and Focusrite Scarlett (about $350).

Does anyone have an opinion on the relative sound quality of these three products? I might go for the RME if the sound is significantly better than the others. Does the 16 track sound much better than a 828? If not, I might as well get the 828 replaced. And the Focusrite: long ago, their sound was great. Is it now? Could it be the real bargain?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rickorick

Re: Fix My 828, or Get a New Interface?

Post by rickorick »

Send it back to MOTU and they will fix it for $99. Or I'll give you a couple bucks and I'll send it
back I'm looking for a 3rd unit.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:My 828 Mk 3 is starting to die. The screen flashes on startup, and sometimes it just won’t start up. MOTU says I should send it in for replacement for a modest fee.
No matter what you do, I'd take them up on that right away. A functioning interface is going to be worth quite a bit more when you go to sell it than a boat anchor. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Good point James. I usually just put old stuff in a crawl space. Selling it the obvious thing to do.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:Good point James. I usually just put old stuff in a crawl space. Selling it the obvious thing to do.
Well, better to have a working one. Even if you decide to give it away someday to someone just starting out. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!