15 million floppies

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 15 million floppies

Post by Shooshie »

BKK-OZ wrote:These kinds of reminiscences always end up reminding me of this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo&feature=kp

:rofl: :rofl:

Yeahboy, back when I was using 15,000,000 floppies, I'd have to get up 6 hours before I went to bed, just to get the boxes open!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

15 million floppies

Post by frankf »

I've got a beige G3 I keep for firing up Studio Vision once a year and for accessing 3.5” "floppies", and a couple of SCSI HDs, SCSI Syquest and a SCSI Zip drive. I also have a G4 I've kept for some reason I can't remember. Not remembering why I kept it keeps me from getting rid of it! Anyone else have this affliction?

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

frankf wrote:Anyone else have this affliction?
Frank Ferrucci
Affliction indeed. Under the stairs, I have a G4, PM 8600, Atari Falcon, original Mac, iBook, old Minis, Syquest and Zip drives, boxes of exotic cables, CD writers, external drives, monitors, mixers, tape machines, various synths, keyboard stands, about 200 wall warts, and some amps. Even an old IBM PC. You never know ...
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I have pretty much every computer, monitor, cable and disk I've ever owned. It's getting to be quite a collection. My daughter did persuade me to get rid of a few printers about 6 or 8 years ago. I also fire up the old computers now and then for the purpose of converting files, etc.

I've kept a G4 Titanium Powerbook and a Pismo G3 Powerbook operational since they were new, mainly to have a platform to run SimCity 4/Rush Hour. Recently that became available on my Mac Pro, so I guess I can break the tether now. But the Pismo is special. That's my favorite laptop of all time. Doesn't hold a candle to today's Mac Pros, but design-wise it's just beautiful.

Plus, on January 1, 2001, I was in the air, flying to work in Las Vegas, watching a movie on that machine (Pismo G3 Powerbook). The movie was 2001, A Space Odyssey. During the scene in which Dave and Frank were watching TV and being interviewed on what amounted to an iPad, I realized that what I was using wasn't that far removed, and that Arthur Clarke had not been off by much. The iPad would be another decade, however, and on that 2001 occasion I remember thinking "this Pismo Powerbook is probably about as close to Clarke's TV/communicator tablets as we'll ever get. After all, miniaturization can only go so far..." When the iPad came out, I remembered that moment. Now I place no limits on the realization of the imagination.

I heard Neil DeGrasse Tyson, the other day, saying that we should be watching out for someone who figures out how to warp space in order to bypass millions of light years of space travel via wormholes, by way of a warp drive, just like on Star Trek. At first I thought "no, there have to be limits to what we can..." and then I stopped. If Tyson is thinking it, I'd better be, too.

15,000,000 floppies in the space of a 1960s transistor radio; the future is unlimited.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

bayswater wrote: You never know ...
One of my Dad's 8 brothers passed, this was a long time ago, and after cleaning out his small house, the surviving siblings loaded their cars with boxfulls of interesting stuff, unloaded them in my Dad's driveway, pulled up folding chairs and a couple of 50 gallon trash cans and starting going through everything. Packages of screws, cans of straightened nails, rusty tools, lamp wire, books, watches, you name it, all came out. As each one came out one of these depression era brothers would say "that's a nice thing to have" and the item
would end up in their personal pile to take home. In the end, there was only 1 shopping bag worth of stuff in the garbage cans. And yes, i walked away with a bag of treasure, too. I still have an unopened package of machine screws with hand written date of purchase of April 1959! Bless them all.

Nice thing to have, my G4 :)
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:And yes, i walked away with a bag of treasure, too. I still have an unopened package of machine screws with hand written date of purchase of April 1959!

Frank, you hoarder, you!

I'd literally trade you my whole warehouse of crap, for which I pay $308/month to rent a roof and walls around it, for that little bag of screws. And I'd come out with the better end of the deal if we did that.

Shoosh
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Beige G3, Mac+, SE, Performa 6100, 6200, 8100, Motorola Clone with G3 card and a few others... all gone.

G4 with ATTO SCSI card, OS 9.2 / 10.4.11, 250mB Zip drive, still here.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Shooshie wrote: I heard Neil DeGrasse Tyson, the other day, saying that we should be watching out for someone who figures out how to warp space in order to bypass millions of light years of space travel via wormholes, by way of a warp drive, just like on Star Trek. At first I thought "no, there have to be limits to what we can..." and then I stopped. If Tyson is thinking it, I'd better be, too.
You mean like this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_Alcubierre

And this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

I love Tyson and the way he speaks and educates. I think he must definitely know Dr. Alcubierre.
Even though the technology for it is too far out of our reach at the moment, the hypotheses are there already... Just like we knew of atoms before we could see them and manipulate them, this "warp" business will be no different in that respect. The seeds are there.

Too bad we won't be here to witness it... :(
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote:
Shooshie wrote: I heard Neil DeGrasse Tyson, the other day, saying that we should be watching out for someone who figures out how to warp space in order to bypass millions of light years of space travel via wormholes, by way of a warp drive, just like on Star Trek. At first I thought "no, there have to be limits to what we can..." and then I stopped. If Tyson is thinking it, I'd better be, too.
You mean like this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_Alcubierre

And this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
Yep... There ya go! Warp drive on the way! Pretty amazing stuff.

FMiguelez wrote:I love Tyson and the way he speaks and educates. I think he must definitely know Dr. Alcubierre.
Even though the technology for it is too far out of our reach at the moment, the hypotheses are there already... Just like we knew of atoms before we could see them and manipulate them, this "warp" business will be no different in that respect. The seeds are there.

Too bad we won't be here to witness it... :(
It WOULD be nice to be immortal, wouldn't it? Nice as long as you didn't run up any gambling debts. I'm sure 500 years of some vice like a weakness for Las Vegas would have you inventing a warp drive yourself, just to get away!

But watching physics unfold would be one of the main benefits of living forever. It's always exciting to learn the latest.

Shoosh
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

We got our selfs some hoarders here.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Two words: Moore's law.

Things are getting exponentially smaller, and will soon reach the point where they will be the size of an atom. (Current Pentium processors are about 20 atoms thick.) The silicon era is quickly reaching its limits as we head towards something like quantum computing.

http://bigthink.com/videos/tweaking-moo ... on-era-2-2

Babz
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

frankf wrote:
bayswater wrote: You never know ...
One of my Dad's 8 brothers passed, this was a long time ago, and after cleaning out his small house, the surviving siblings loaded their cars with boxfulls of interesting stuff, unloaded them in my Dad's driveway, pulled up folding chairs and a couple of 50 gallon trash cans and starting going through everything. Packages of screws, cans of straightened nails, rusty tools, lamp wire, books, watches, you name it, all came out. As each one came out one of these depression era brothers would say "that's a nice thing to have" and the item
would end up in their personal pile to take home. In the end, there was only 1 shopping bag worth of stuff in the garbage cans. And yes, i walked away with a bag of treasure, too. I still have an unopened package of machine screws with hand written date of purchase of April 1959! Bless them all.

Nice thing to have, my G4 :)
Two words, Frank: Collyer Brothers. :mrgreen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers

Babz