Masterpieces of Songwriting & Arrangement

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Masterpieces of Songwriting & Arrangement

Post by Dan Worley »

Harry Chapin's "Taxi"

Something made me think of this song the other day and I loaded it up and listened to it over and over again -- like I used to in the old days. Gives me chills, the good kind. It's just brilliant in every way. What a talent, and a class act who cared for his fellow human beings.

Please share a masterpiece.
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Masterpieces of Songwriting & Arrangement

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I worked in Harry's theater and even got to run sound for one of his concerts. Very sweet and generous man. Gone way too soon.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I had the good fortune to be the agent for his musical, Cotton Patch Gospel. I'm not what you'd call a religious person, and our agency certainly wasn't of that bent, but the show was meant to be a musical, first, with a religious message that would work its way with you later. I mean, Chapin was a devout Christian, we know, but his contributions to the show were musical, and I couldn't help at the time but to admire the great skill that went into his craft.

The show ran for years, and was a runaway success everywhere we booked it. The first time it went out, I was informed three days beforehand that there was no band. Being a musician, I had to quickly run through all my contacts to find a set of players who could and would learn it and be great in it, then commit to six months on the road. The only problem was... the only capable and available bass player I could find was a girl. The band was intended to be all-male. But we hired her anyway, and it worked out beautifully.

Funny thing; I didn't actually know any of the musicians. I hired them, because I used to hear them talking at a local greasy spoon where I ate breakfast daily, back when I was at North Texas State University, with its legendary music department. They weren't with the school at all! They simply were musicians who happened to eat where we musicians ate. But I knew by their talk that they were good, and probably hungry (it was the cheapest diner in town, on Fry Street), so I had no qualms about convincing them to go out for six months in three days. And about a month later I flew in to hear them on the road. They were great! I saw the show about 5 times over the years, and every time I thought Chapin outdid himself there. He himself used to tell Tom Key, the author of the play and star of the show, that this was the singular work he was born to do. I couldn't agree more.

Yeah, Harry Chapin was one of those people for whom great things seem to come easily. Of course, we all know how much work goes into it. But some people just manage it better than others. We call those people "geniuses."

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:I had the good fortune to be the agent for his musical, Cotton Patch Gospel. I'm not what you'd call a religious person, and our agency certainly wasn't of that bent, but the show was meant to be a musical, first, with a religious message that would work its way with you later. I mean, Chapin was a devout Christian, we know, but his contributions to the show were musical, and I couldn't help at the time but to admire the great skill that went into his craft.

The show ran for years, and was a runaway success everywhere we booked it. The first time it went out, I was informed three days beforehand that there was no band. Being a musician, I had to quickly run through all my contacts to find a set of players who could and would learn it and be great in it, then commit to six months on the road. The only problem was... the only capable and available bass player I could find was a girl. The band was intended to be all-male. But we hired her anyway, and it worked out beautifully.

Funny thing; I didn't actually know any of the musicians. I hired them, because I used to hear them talking at a local greasy spoon where I ate breakfast daily, back when I was at North Texas State University, with its legendary music department. They weren't with the school at all! They simply were musicians who happened to eat where we musicians ate. But I knew by their talk that they were good, and probably hungry (it was the cheapest diner in town, on Fry Street), so I had no qualms about convincing them to go out for six months in three days. And about a month later I flew in to hear them on the road. They were great! I saw the show about 5 times over the years, and every time I thought Chapin outdid himself there. He himself used to tell Tom Key, the author of the play and star of the show, that this was the singular work he was born to do. I couldn't agree more.

Yeah, Harry Chapin was one of those people for whom great things seem to come easily. Of course, we all know how much work goes into it. But some people just manage it better than others. We call those people "geniuses."

Shooshie
That's amazing! I love Cotton Patch Gospel. I have it on video and watch it two or three times a year, or just put it on to listen. Harry knew what he was writing about, which helped him say things in a most unique, powerful, beautiful, sometimes amusing, and entertaining way.

The entire play is a masterpiece, especially when Tom Key was the lead.
That's so cool you had part in it.
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I worked in Harry's theater and even got to run sound for one of his concerts. Very sweet and generous man. Gone way too soon.
That's so great you got to work with him, Michael. You know, I've never heard or read a bad word about Harry Chapin. I've only heard of him helping people. I think he had a big hand in starting all the Aid concerts, too.

Yes, gone too soon and too young, for sure. Imagine how much greater his body of work and influence would have been if he would have lived longer. Still, I'm glad we got what we did. He left the world a better place.
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Harry Chapin: Behind the Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0HvLxW_oHw
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dan Worley wrote:That's amazing! I love Cotton Patch Gospel. I have it on video and watch it two or three times a year, or just put it on to listen.
Ha! I had a feeling you might be familiar with it. Of course, in the 1980s that musical ran for months at a time almost everywhere we booked it for a long term sit-down. Sometimes years. It was fabulously successful in Atlanta, with many repeat bookings. Of course... anyone familiar with the play will know why Atlantans particularly like it. But the point is that a lot of people ARE familiar with the work, which means that Chapin was once again right about the value of what he was doing.
Dan Worley wrote:Harry knew what he was writing about, which helped him say things in a most unique, powerful, beautiful, sometimes amusing, and entertaining way.

The entire play is a masterpiece, especially when Tom Key was the lead.
That's so cool you had part in it.
I felt honored to be involved. Tom Key was a gentleman and a great actor. When we had to book it with another actor, I didn't think it could possibly work, but it was every bit as good. It was just well written. But in my opinion, it's the band and the songs that make it such a great show. Chapin knew how to pull the heartstrings, then make you laugh. Goodness, it's been 30 years, and I still get emotional when I think about it.

Most of my experiences with the show were good, but I did have some surprises. Since the show is essentially about a religious story, I thought it would be welcomed with open arms in some of the remote areas such as Abilene, Texas, or rural Tennessee. Believe it or not, those were the audiences that walked out, demanded their money back, and thought we'd done a terrible, terrible thing. It stung, but I learned some great lessons about our country from that.

I can't go into it here. This is not the place, but I'll leave you to ponder why Abilene, Texas wanted to have me roasted for booking CPG at the university there. I assure you, it wasn't because of the quality of the production, which was first-rate all the way. Let's just say there are some extremely intolerant people out there in the boonies who are easily riled, of like mind, and very poorly informed. When they show up at your door with lanterns, ropes and pitchforks, you probably ought not to open it. :shake:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:I felt honored to be involved. Tom Key was a gentleman and a great actor. When we had to book it with another actor, I didn't think it could possibly work, but it was every bit as good. It was just well written. But in my opinion, it's the band and the songs that make it such a great show. Chapin knew how to pull the heartstrings, then make you laugh. Goodness, it's been 30 years, and I still get emotional when I think about it.

Most of my experiences with the show were good, but I did have some surprises. Since the show is essentially about a religious story, I thought it would be welcomed with open arms in some of the remote areas such as Abilene, Texas, or rural Tennessee. Believe it or not, those were the audiences that walked out, demanded their money back, and thought we'd done a terrible, terrible thing. It stung, but I learned some great lessons about our country from that.

I can't go into it here. This is not the place, but I'll leave you to ponder why Abilene, Texas wanted to have me roasted for booking CPG at the university there. I assure you, it wasn't because of the quality of the production, which was first-rate all the way. Let's just say there are some extremely intolerant people out there in the boonies who are easily riled, of like mind, and very poorly informed. When they show up at your door with lanterns, ropes and pitchforks, you probably ought not to open it. :shake:

Shooshie
Oh, that's too bad. Their loss.

I find Cotton Patch Gospel to be beautiful, touching, clever, and downright inspirational. And as you pointed out, the music is exceptional. I wouldn't hesitate to show it or recommend it to anyone.

Harry writing all those songs while he was doing all his other stuff is just amazing to me. And they're so specifically fitting.

Act I

Somethin's Brewin' in Gainesville
Baby Born to God
I Did It
Mama Is Here/I Did It (Reprise)
It Isn't Easy
Sho 'Nuff
From That Day On
Turn it Around
When I Look Up
Ain't No Busy Signals
Spitball
Miracle on Stone Mountain
Love the Lord Your God
Blind Date
Goin' to Atlanta

Act II

Are We Ready?
You Are Still My Boy
We Gotta Get Organized
We're Gonna Love It While It Lasts
Jubilation
Dangerous Man
Jud
Hey, What's Goin On?
Jud (Reprise)
Thank God for Governor Pilate
One More Tomorrow
I Wonder (with Jubilation reprise)
Somethin's Brewin in Gainesville (Reprise)

If I were to put this on today, I'd love to have the Punch Brothers as the band, but I can't think of anyone for the lead.
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Speaking of the Punch Brothers, I'd have to say that the four movements of "The Blind Leaving the Blind" is a masterpiece.
DP10.13