How to NOT Suck At Digital Performer

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to NOT Suck At Digital Performer

Post by toodamnhip »

Michael Canavan wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Funny. Chunks was essentially the heart of Edit/SMPTE Track (Atari) as well a Vision, Studio Vision, and SV Pro. I can't imagine a DAW that lacked multiple sequences in each project. It's just plain stupid to NOT have that most basic feature.
Sure, but as soon as I started using MAS and wrapped VSTs in DP 2.7 I tried to run multiple Chunks with VSTs loaded into them in a Song Window on a 400ghz G4. :lol: There was a period where Chunks were sort of hanging in hardware MIDI device land and plug ins were mucking it up. V-Racks solves this but for the electronic musician there are a few caveats, track automation being a big one. you learn to save your knob tweaking until the end.

Mostly I use Chunks now for the basic parts of a song, then consolidate them into a single Sequence Chunk. Mostly for those of us not doing film work, Chunks are great, but you end up in a single Sequence. To a noob this is a classic case of too much information and power right away, people are intimidated.

The way Logic treats 'chunks' of sequence data (bridge, chorus etc etc.) is with Folders, in Logic a folder is timeline based not track based, so you have your folder that contains MIDI and audio, and you move it around the timeline. It's not a bad method. Live does much the same thing with Clips in Session View, each Session clip can be imported into the Arrangement the way Chunks are imported into each other.

Of the three approaches Logic's is the most basic, building block style, Live's version offers some nice tricks, input quantization on Clip firing is way smoother than changing Chunks, even with only MIDI and V-Racks for all soft synths etc., but DP's is by far the best for things like scoring film, remixes, shorter or longer versions of the same song etc.

Anyway, not trying to take this off topic, but I get why some people gravitate towards less initially complex seeming DAWs, and why someone would write "How to NOT Suck At Digital Performer"! :lol:

Seriously I started using Logic 4 in about 2002, in about 2006 I upgraded to DP5 and it was crazy how out of sync I was with DP even in just 4 years time. I really didn't start writing in it until DP7, what were probably minor improvements to some of you were huge to me, contextual menus, AIFF/WAV support, Pre Rendering etc. These all made it on par and in most ways better than Logic to me. <-- Plus I do like using Ableton Live, and for whatever reason there were some oddball importing things happening from Logic, whereas DP and Live have always played nice together.
We are such a serious bunch,,lol...
This started out as a "cute" little post about a teenager starting in DP, and here we are debating.....
No more laughs?..lol..
It's ok..debate, debate....
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc