Cymatics - Wow!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Cymatics - Wow!

Post by Babz »

Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Cymatics - Wow!

Post by Babz »

Next time you need to EQ something, don't forget the salt shaker

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1yaqUI4b97 ... vJAgrUBF4w
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Dan Worley »

Love it! I had no idea sound could create these patterns.
DP10.13
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Don't forget non-newtonian fluids!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU7iuJ98fRQ
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I have long been fascinated by cymatics.
Here is some work interesting cymatic work: http://roberthodgin.com/cymatic-ferrofluid/
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Not cymatic, but similar: https://vimeo.com/88076963
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Again, not cymatics, but a very interesting visualization of sound created by linking the growth of crystals to audio data: https://vimeo.com/63232385
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I remember a Scientific American article from the early 1980s showing the vibrating nodes of Strad fiddles. I don't remember the word, Cymatics, being used but that is what they were doing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

mikehalloran wrote:I remember a Scientific American article from the early 1980s showing the vibrating nodes of Strad fiddles. I don't remember the word, Cymatics, being used but that is what they were doing.
Something like this, maybe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13573631
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Tritonemusic wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:I remember a Scientific American article from the early 1980s showing the vibrating nodes of Strad fiddles. I don't remember the word, Cymatics, being used but that is what they were doing.
Something like this, maybe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13573631
Now that's interesting. One would expect to see something like that, but what's fascinating is to see the nodes breaking up and bifurcating when moving to higher pitches. Between bifurcations, as the pitch goes up, are periods of pure chaos (not shown in the pictures, btw). It would be interesting to find which notes lie closest to those pitches where the chaos occurs and see if those notes have less power, more "wolf" in the sound.

This reminds me of something I've always wondered about. Guitars and violins are sturdy wooden boxes, due to the internal bracing. But if you eliminated the bracing on the soundboard itself, what kinds of sound would open up to such an instrument? This would be easy to construct. The grand piano would be the model for such a thing. On a grand piano, a cast-iron frame supports the strings and carries their enormous tension. The bridge is all that touches the soundboard (other than the soundboard supports, of course), so it vibrates freely as the bridge transmits the sound. A guitar could be made with the actual bracing a quarter inch or so beneath the soundboard, with the bridge only attached to the soundboard, and with strings attached to a tailpiece, as on a violin. The tailpiece would connect to the frame, and the bridge would carry minimal pressure, the strings providing the sound pressure itself.

Without the bracing, just how much sound would you get from that soundboard? (much, much more, I'm guessing) And what would it sound like? I'd expect it to sound very rich. Who knows? Maybe it would sound like a piano! :lol:

Alternatively, you could mount the soundboard INSIDE the guitar, with the bridge floating through a hole in the top piece of the box, but that would create whole new set of problems with interference and internal reflections. Still, it would be interesting, and who's to say it wouldn't be the better way?

Just sharing some musings I've been toying with for decades.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

In theory that sounds great, but in practice it has me wondering about how the mass of the resonator (soundboard) contributes to the depth if the tone, as well as the amount of stress contributes. In Mason Hamlin pianos a tension resonator which increases tension and holds the crown. This contributes to the tone greatly and keeps the crown on the board. I think you could add to Shooshie's idea by including a sort of tension resonator. I think dobros have a construction along those lines but not exactly what Shoosh is proposing. Interest topic guys.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

This whole discussion is what I was always hoping a physical modeling synth would always achieve. This discussion is also what physical modeling fails to do.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

There are far worse ways to lose 5 mins: https://vimeo.com/43698974
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This seems related... it's posted to Facebook but don't think you need to be logged in to watch:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=805329629490060
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Wow, that is too cool, James! I want one of those. I don't know why, but I want one. :)
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4