Haken Continuum updated,

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Haken Continuum updated,

Post by BKK-OZ »

From an article on Create Digital Music:

The Continuum Fingerboard consists of a large, soft playing surface. Press in with your fingers, and three-dimensional sensing responds in pitch and timbre. The range is even greater than an 88-key keyboard in the full-sized model; an optional stand holds it steady (and would look at home on the deck of a Klingon warbird).

Link

The video is worth watching, pretty cool.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Shooshie

Re: Haken Continuum updated,

Post by Shooshie »

Geez, I really like that. I'd LOVE to have one of those, but at this point in my life I have to ask "what's the point?" If I were 21 years old, that's what I'd start out with. I'd learn to program it with hundreds of sounds and samples, utilizing crossfades and parallel mixing, with expression pedals and foot switches to get the most out of it.

I wish I'd had it in about 1985. I just don't see myself playing live anymore on that kind of thing. If I do any more live performance, it will be acoustic.

The things I do with MIDI don't really require such an instrument, as I can make them happen in DP. But if I had one, I'd sure use it. It's just the cost factor. At $5000, I think I can get a lot more out of what I have and save my money for other little things I might need, like new string libraries.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I reckon it would take awhile to master that instrument. They don't identify the player in the video, but methinks he has spent a great deal of time getting his chops together on that thing.

While it is definitely a very cool thing and he makes it sound pretty good, I must admit to thinking that I wasn't 100% convinced with those string sounds. (Very good, but not the real thing.) Why strive so hard to replicate the sound of a different class of instrument?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
kurtl

Post by kurtl »

Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater has been using one for quite a while now. Check out some DT Vids on youtube. Octavarium is one song in which he uses the Haken.
DP 10.11, OSX 10.11.6, MacPro 2.8/8 10gigs RAM, 2408Mk3, 2408Mk2, 2 Fastlanes, 2-UAD2 solos, Machfive 2/3.2.1, MSI, BFD3
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Thanx for that reference, DT not really my thing I am afraid, still not sure of the continuum beyond being a novelty item.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku