Question: iZotope RX3 Advanced vs. RX3

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Question: iZotope RX3 Advanced vs. RX3

Post by Shooshie »

I recently upgraded to iZotope RX3, but I've wondered whether the Advanced version is worth the considerable extra price. Frankly, I use Waves noise removers more than anything else, but it looked like RX3 might offer more. Waves' Z-Noise is pretty darned amazing, following noise that changes and dynamically adjusting its effects on the targeted audio. I haven't even used RX3 yet, so I don't know how limited it is. But the question is whether anyone thinks I'm going to be disappointed without the Advanced features.

Anyone here used both?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Re: Question: iZotope RX3 Advanced vs. RX3

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes.

The automated settings are fine in RX 3 but, if you are going to clean up old audio, you might like the manual override of many of the settings. I do. Whether the extra tools (azimuth, Insight, de-reverb etc.) are of any use, I can't say.

I expect that the bread and butter settings of de-noise, de-hum and de-click plus Spectral Repair are what most users use.

I thought the upgrade to Advanced was worthwhile. I also found a project to charge it to - really noisy, crappy audio with hum, click, pop...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That's a $499 upgrade according to my email. No? That's a bit steep for something that can pretty much be handled by Waves and even the lower level RX3. Of course if you have more demanding projects that can justify it, it's probably worth it, but as I don't do much restoration I passed on the upgrade - especially at $4-effing-99!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:That's a $499 upgrade according to my email. No? That's a bit steep for something that can pretty much be handled by Waves and even the lower level RX3. Of course if you have more demanding projects that can justify it, it's probably worth it, but as I don't do much restoration I passed on the upgrade - especially at $4-effing-99!
$499 is the same upgrade price from Sweetwater.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RX3AdvUpRX12/

If you are not cleaning up old tape, vinyl or cassettes, I can't see spending the extra $$$ for Advanced. The stock functionality of RX 3 is quite good.

In my case, turning a garbage cassette into a CD master has brought me a fair amount of work via word of mouth so the money was well spent. RX 3-A was the miracle worker but RX 3 would have gotten me to 90% or more.

Insight is an interesting metering tool but there are a few really nice ones out there. It also comes with Ozone 5 Advanced. I suggested that an RX 3 Advanced add-on at a special price for those who owned Ozone 5 Advanced (or vise-versa) would be a nice idea. I have yet to hear back from Izotope. Anyway, it's no longer my issue, ya know?
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

On Mavericks, some have had an issue with the Izotope demo screen appearing after authorizing. I noticed this in DP 7.24 only while it was fine in DP 8.

The issue is with the Izotope installer not removing or overwriting properly. Here's the workaround:

Go to Library/Application Support/Izotope/RX 3 (or whichever Izotope program is giving you this grief)

Run the Uninstaller. It will tell you that not everything was removed - actually, you may find that little or nothing was removed.

Click Yes when it asks if you want to see the Log.

When you open the Log, you will see many files that were not deleted. Look for the folders (four if I recall - you will know which ones) and delete those. You will now have removed everything that needed deleting.

Reinstall and Authorize if it asks.

Izotope knows about this but I don't believe it is fixed yet.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Mon May 05, 2014 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:On Mavericks, some have had an issue with the Izotope demo screen appearing after authorizing. I noticed this in DP 7.24 only while it was fine in DP 8.

The issue is with the Izotope installer not removing or overwriting properly. Here's the workaround:

Go to Library/Application Support/RX 3 (or whichever Izotope program that's giving you grief)

Run the Uninstaller. It will tell you that not everything was removed - actually, nothing was removed.

Click Yes when it asks if you want to see the Log.

In the log, you will see many files that were not deleted. Look for the folders (four if I recall - you will know which ones) and delete those. You will now have removed everything that needed deleting.

Reinstall and Authorize if it asks.

Izotope knows about this but I don't believe it is fixed yet.
Thanks, Mike. That's good to know. I haven't even run it yet, other than to see if it boots up, but if I see that happening, I'll know what to do. Much appreciated.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|