We should make a DP Tips wiki

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Prime Mover »

I just had an awesome thought, though I'll admit, I'm currently too busy to take anything like this on at the moment:

We've got such a huge wealth of info here: tips, findings, the occasional bug workaround. Unfortunately, let's be honest, a web forum isn't exactly the greatest way of actively seeking out useful information. Even if you search, you're usually wading through dozens of "I can't make this work" posts before you can find something that actually gives useful advice. It's a web forum, it's not meant to be a repository. What if we started an easy-to-edit wiki (I think they're called wikias) and if we came to some wonderful problem solving conclusion, or have a tip for everyone, users could just jot it down as a wiki page, nothing fancy, just a quick write up.

I came on this idea after reading a wonderful solution to my edrum mapping problem. I did a search, and on the 4th page was a perfect solution written back in 2009 by someone called "Noah" describing the process of creating a Custom MIDI Map and using the transpose MIDI insert plugin to remap incoming MIDI. The fact I stumbled on this was palmost dumb luck... I often don't find what I'm looking for and even when I do it usually takes lots of wading to find it. If we had some sort of searchable repository of tips, DP users could be flying high with all sorts of workflow ideas, old and new!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: We should make a DP Tips wiki

Post by James Steele »

Prime Mover wrote:I just had an awesome thought, though I'll admit, I'm currently too busy to take anything like this on at the moment:
Actually tried this once and it was sort of cumbersome and didn't work too well, and I didn't really have time either to take that on.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Who hosts a WIKI? Once made, are they semi-permanent?

I'd be much more interested in making a Wiki than packing more tips into the current three tips sheet sections, plus all the other tips, lists, and tutorials in the thread, but I wouldn't do it if there weren't some pretty strong chance of permanence, and easy access from the forum.

I've got a few dozen more tips waiting to go in the tips sheet, but I just haven't gotten the motivation and time to put them all in. They include tips from many of you. But a Wiki with easy access, easy browsing capabilities, and a chance of permanence not connected to my Dropbox account would dramatically increase my motivation.

Likewise, having YouTube has made me more interested in making videos. It's just finding the time to do them that's the problem. But knowing that I don't have to host them, pay for their data fees, and keep restoring them to new hosts as existing ones get canceled, has made it a whole lot more fun to do videos.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:Who hosts a WIKI? Once made, are they semi-permanent
I think you can host it on the same server as the board. I tried once, and it didn't work out too well. Plus, I'm not really some genius IT guy, nor am I bucking to be one. This isn't my job. Plus, I don't mean to pick on Prime Mover, but I see a lot of posts that in essence are saying "somebody should do xyz... but not me, I'm too busy." Well, most of us are. Me included. So it's a non-starter for me, too, at the moment.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It does remind me of the punchline of the famous Lone Ranger joke: "What do you mean WE, pale face?"

Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Actually, jumping on this is exactly the kind of thing I would usually do... At the expense of everything else. However, I'm currently getting ready for a tour, trying to finish up two whirlwind projects, and eventually move to Hawaii at the end if the summer (sell car, buy car, apartment, find new job). I'm actually completely willing to do this as soon as my schedule clears up a bit, if no one gets to it first.

I guess I should have said, "I'm gonna make a wiki, but I can't do it now, so if anyone has any interest in getting a head start..."
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I hear ya. It's not anything I can take on either.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't see how a wiki page is going to improve the search ability. You can search any site with a decent search engine if you know how. I don't believe that the forum itself is the problem or that searches are failing. Knowing what to look for is. Besides, you can't post a question at Wiki and the people overseeing the site often edit out correct info simply because it doesn't appear elsewhere on the www.

IMO the Wiki thing is a disaster. MOTUNation is very useful and the go to site for all things MOTU. And frankly, if a user can't find this forum by asking a general question about a MOTI product in a search engine, they've got some basic computing skills that need work.

But if you think "we" should do it I say go for it kemosabe. I'll be with the posse.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

There is an audio wiki with a DP section. It has been there for a long time but has only 50 entries. Maybe that can solve the hosting problem.

http://en.wikiaudio.org/Category:Digital_Performer
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Hosting problem? I say the owner of this site should make a paypal donation link permanently visible for all visitors. Then contributing is something WE can all do. I'm thinking a $5 suggested for casual users. Heavy users such as myself should probably thing $20/year.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Hosting problem? I say the owner of this site should make a paypal donation link permanently visible for all visitors. Then contributing is something WE can all do. I'm thinking a $5 suggested for casual users. Heavy users such as myself should probably thing $20/year.
He did that before and very few of us gave.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

We can still do it. With this many members and all the help they get it should be a no brainer. The ultimate plugin in for DP: answers to your toughest questions on demand 24/7 365. Let the board go down for 10 minutes and people panic and post how they couldn't get in. Imagine it gone for good! I'm ready for Mr Lincoln's close up Mr. DeSteele.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

By the way, folks, the current DP Tips Sheet is pretty easily searched. I did my best to use keywords and titles that make for easy searching with the COMMAND-F in Safari. Type in a string like "Tracks Window," "Recording," "Editing," "Selection," and so forth, and you'll be able to use COMMAND-G to zip through all the results. (or the arrows by the number of results found)

It doesn't take long to figure out the keywords I used for things. Sure, it's not the perfect solution, but when I go there to find something, I can find it in seconds. All the main tips are on the first page, within one of the first three posts.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

The problem is that this is NOT my livelihood. I have other things going on. I plain don't know how to implement such a thing, not do I wish to drop everything to learn how. I may be able to make a Google search button to search the site a bit better than the built in search. Other than that... I just really plain don't have time.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Also, as someone posted, I removed the voluntary donation button was phased out years ago. I recall allowing a max donation of $1 or so. I averaged 2 donations a month.