We should make a DP Tips wiki

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: We should make a DP Tips wiki

Post by bayswater »

And I bet it's not the money anyway. It's the commitment of time, and the energy to keep up with all the crap that happens when you manage something accessible by the internet.

What's the benefit? Are there a load of questions from users of MOTU products that don't get answered now and would get answered if there was a wiki?

There are a lot of questions that are asked many times because someone doesn't do a search, or does and can't find the answer. But that's a different problem a wiki won't solve.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:And I bet it's not the money anyway. It's the commitment of time, and the energy to keep up with all the crap that happens when you manage something accessible by the internet.

What's the benefit? Are there a load of questions from users of MOTU products that don't get answered now and would get answered if there was a wiki?

There are a lot of questions that are asked many times because someone doesn't do a search, or does and can't find the answer. But that's a different problem a wiki won't solve.
The only benefit I can imagine is if it allows for better organization and searching. If it does, and if the other things I mentioned are there, I wouldn't mind redoing the Tips Sheet in a Wiki. What we have now works, but it's not good for linear reading. It would be nice if tips could be arranged by query to suit people with different needs, and if a newly added tip did not have to be at the end of a post, but could go in some sort of order.

Of course, like James I don't have a lot of time right now.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, easier searching would be a benefit, but I don't know it would be a big one worth the effort. Is it all that easier to find exactly what you want in Wikipedia than Motunation? Maybe.

I was toying with the idea of dumping the tips section into an ebook using the Apple book creation software. If it's highly automated, and does a load of indexing, it might be worth it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I still use that javascript search that someone sorted out some time ago - it presents findings on a Google page for easier referencing having presumably searched the Motunation site - and comes up with topics from the site in a format we are used to when doing a Google search. Perhaps someone should re-post that. It sits in my browser toolbar. Anyone else still use that?
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

I use that all the time, GG. FMiguelez is the one I must give credit to for pointing out this very handy trick. Here's the Javascript for anyone who'd like to try it:

javascript:Qr=prompt('Search%20Site%20for','');if(Qr)location.href='http://www.google.com/search?&q=site:'+ ... escape(Qr)
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4