Twenty Feet from Stardom

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Twenty Feet from Stardom

Post by Dan Worley »

I didn't know anything about this film until I found it on Netflix.

http://twentyfeetfromstardom.com/

INCREDIBLE!!! I kept falling in love over and over and over and over...
DP10.13
rickorick

Re: Twenty Feet from Stardom

Post by rickorick »

Did you see "Sound City" and "It Might Get Loud" and "The Eagles Movie"? I thought those were good too.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

rickorick wrote:Did you see "Sound City" and "It Might Get Loud" and "The Eagles Movie"? I thought those were good too.
I saw the first two. I really enjoyed Sound City. I didn't care for It Might Get Loud.

For some reason, I just never could get into The Eagles, but I'll probably check out their film anyway. Thanks for mentioning it.
DP10.13
kshrieve

Post by kshrieve »

I really enjoyed the history and seeing the backup singers at work. But I find that asking artists to explore "Why didn't you become famous?" is one of the least interesting ways to spend time with them.

I would have much preferred to have them talk about how the vocal parts came together, or to hear them recreate them again for us (as it seemed like they all could still sing very well).

But I guess that would have been a different movie, with a different title than "Twenty Feet from Stardom".
MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 - 8G RAM - OSX 10.11.6 - DP 9.12 - MachFive 3.2.1 - EZdrummer 2 - Samson
Graphite 49 - Godin Freeway SA - Roland GR-20 synth pedal - NI Guitar Rig 5 and Kontrol pedal
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

kshrieve wrote:I really enjoyed the history and seeing the backup singers at work. But I find that asking artists to explore "Why didn't you become famous?" is one of the least interesting ways to spend time with them.
Good point.
kshrieve wrote:I would have much preferred to have them talk about how the vocal parts came together, or to hear them recreate them again for us (as it seemed like they all could still sing very well).
They did some of that, but I agree, I would have enjoyed more.

It was interesting to hear Lisa Fischer's story. She has one of the most incredible voices that I've ever heard. And it's not just a great voice, she can SING!
DP10.13
kshrieve

Post by kshrieve »

Yeah, I was glad to learn what I did from the movie, and get to see some of the people behind those iconic songs.
MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 - 8G RAM - OSX 10.11.6 - DP 9.12 - MachFive 3.2.1 - EZdrummer 2 - Samson
Graphite 49 - Godin Freeway SA - Roland GR-20 synth pedal - NI Guitar Rig 5 and Kontrol pedal