Suzuki Andes 25F -- keyboard-based panpipes and pennywhistle

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Suzuki Andes 25F -- keyboard-based panpipes and pennywhistle

Post by mhschmieder »

I saw a brand-new instrument at the accordion store today when I finally went to pick up my accordion that's been on consignment for a few years (one of our forumites is interested in it). I tried out this brand new instrument -- which I didn't see announced at AES, NAMM, or MusikMesse -- and will likely be buying one soon.

The Suzuki Andes 25F is a 25-mini-key melodica type instrument with a similar mouthpiece and tube extension, but which has no reeds and instead is more of a substitute for a panpipe (hence the name) or even pennywhistle.

I tried a number of playing techniques and find it very professional and versatile, and of course it can also sound multiple notes at a time (whether unison chords or contrapuntal lines). It is also a beautiful olive green.

I haven't had a chance to look it up online yet and won't until tonight once off work. Just thought I'd mention it here because I imagine this would appeal to a lot of people on the forum who use those sounds in their music and would like more expressivity than can be gotten via sample libraries.

The price tag at the store was $289 (I didn't ask if it has a bag or case). That in itself shows that this instrument is aimed at professionals and not meant to just be a toy.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Re: Suzuki Andes 25F -- keyboard-based panpipes and pennywhi

Post by mhschmieder »

It turns out that this model was released in Japan in 2008 but is only just now being made available stateside.

Here are some YouTube demos, which I won't get a chance to watch/hear myself until I get home from work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pxYNkQpvGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oUjl4_8sY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBAgEMON4rg

At least when bought new, it comes with three different types of mouthpieces, like the Hammond-Suzuki Melodion 44, and also a case. I can't find any new ones on offer though; just some used ones on eBay in Japan with unknown import fees, and similarly on Amazon with import duties hinted but not itemized.

Here are a few links that show product details (these are not meant to be endorsements or recommendations of the vendor sites):

http://www.theharmonicacompany.com/_har ... lodica.asp

http://www.suzuki-harmonicas.com/shop/s ... 1422p.html

http://www.amazon.com/Suzuki-A-25F-25-K ... B000WXD0XY

http://www.melodicaworld.com/post_revie ... 25f-andes/

I found out about the release year from Synthtopia, which also has a video demo but unfortunately chooses my least-liked Andean song, "El Condor Pasa":

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2008/ ... nstrument/

It also comes in a hideous Carmine Red. I prefer the olive green.

I'm hoping to find one on eBay that isn't subject to import fees, as I have an eBay Bucks certificate for around $200 or so that expires in a few days and this would be the ideal use for that coupon.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I forgot to mention that the Suzuki Andean Melodion responds to overblowing techniques, which makes it even more awesome when emulating penny whistle and panpipe technique (as well as wooden recorders).

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It's on its way, but could take as long as a month depending on which shipping method they use. I spent almost an hour reading about the different shipping providers from Japan and comparing the sellers and what sorts of things they've sold as well as their ratings, and chose the one seller who has tended to sell more musical instruments than toys and has 100% rating.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

This is a cut/paste of my review that I just posted to the keyboard forum (no need to change it).

I've been off-line for a few weeks as I had to unexpectedly move on a moment's notice (not easy at my age and with my gear) due to a crisis not of my own making.

The box arrived over a week ago and only today did I find a short spurt of time to open it and try it out.

No worries on the shipping from Japan via standard air mail; it arrived intact with no dings or dents, as it was double-bubble-wrapped and there is also bubble-wrap inside the manufacturer's box, which is designed to be a temporary carrying case.

It comes with two mouthpieces. They are quite different. I like the short firm one for penny whistle type work, and the long flexible one for panpipe style playing. Recorder-style playing works well either way. Ergonomically it's easier to hold with the long flexible mouthpiece.

Lots of pitch bend, and it takes to quadruple-tonguing, flutter-tonguing, and anything else you would try on a flute, recorder, saxophone, or clarinet. I quite like it.

My only complaint is the pitch range, which I would prefer to be slightly lower overall as I keep reaching for lower notes but only use the upper half octave for penny whistle.