8PRE gain controls

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Paul Babiak
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

8PRE gain controls

Post by Paul Babiak »

Hi, I'm new here and looking for some help finding parts for an 8PRE interface that I am repairing. Two gain controls need to be replaced, and I'm not having any luck finding the parts, or even something close. Any help appreciated.

Paul Babiak
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 8PRE gain controls

Post by 4stripes »

Did you open it up, note the pcb part number they are attached to, note the component number printed on the pcb near the control, and see if you can read anything on the component itself and do a Google search on that, or send that info to MOTU? Or find it on Newark, Digikey, etc...

That's how you figure out what a component is in a nutshell.
Last edited by 4stripes on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Babiak
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Paul Babiak »

Thanks for replying.

I have been doing audio electronic repairs for many years, and I do know how to identify a part. There is no manufacturer's mark that I can identify on the controls, and the footprint is somewhat unusual. MOTU essentially refuse to help, beyond my sending the unit to Massachusetts for repair, at a cost of US$99.99 plus shipping - I'm in Canada.The actual cost of the repair is actually quite reasonable, but paying for shipping with a reasonable turn-around time makes sending it in cost prohibitive for my client.
I was hoping that someone else might have been through this exercise and had come up with a manufacturer and/or a part number. I have already spent more time perusing the Digikey and Mouser websites looking for the controls than the unit is worth.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Paul Babiak
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by 4stripes »

I have an open Ultralite mk3 here and I can see that printed on all boards it says S&S Research Inc, Norwood, MA. So I'd contact them. Probably a 3rd party that they farm all their stuff out to. It might also be printed underneath the encoder's flat bottom.

There's quite a detailed topic here that I found with 'MOTU shaft encoder' Google search: http://www.livepa.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6586