IPad........ how do you use it?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: IPad........ how do you use it?

Post by cuttime »

stubbsonic wrote:I was relieved to discover that one of my MIDI controllers that would not initially work directly connected to the CCK (camera connection kit) worked when connected via the externally powered hub. Power draw is the big issue there.
If you're using a computer ad-hoc Wi-Fi is the way to go.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I can be a little pissy about latency. I hear that bluetooth connectivity is less draggy. Apollo does that. However, I'm mostly just direct into the iPad with that little keyboard.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote:It sounds like an iPad1 still proves useful. Perhaps for the technophile it becomes the iPad you take on the canoe trip and you leave your shiny new one at home.
I found that the iPad 1 still has enough "oomph" to easily run the Strobosoft tuner. I'm seriously considering getting a mount to attach it to my guitar rig and have a very large guitar tuner. You can probably get a used iPad 1, iRig, and Strobosoft app for less than a rack mount tuner.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I'm currently trying to decide between the Air and the Mini.........I kind of like the size of the Mini for carrying around.........decision time is approaching.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Sweetwater just send me an ad for this thing
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/is202
Looks like a cool thing to travel with it would be nice if they would do something like this that would take a 2.5" drive in it to record to.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The only reason I would avoid the mini has to do with the size of on-screen type-size & controls. As it is with the regular sized iPad, there are a few apps where the controls on the screen are tiny enough to be a little hard to touch them with my fat fingers.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

IPad........ how do you use it?

Post by James Steele »

Tell you what... one thing that I really want is a MIDI Mobilizer so I can back up the contents of memory of various devices and restore from my iPhone.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A little birdy told me that Best Buy shipped back all their iPad 2s last week. It looks like they hit the Refurb Store today.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

These run iOS 7.1. AppleCare extends support to two years from purchase.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

I use it to do the NY Times crossword every day. Cheaper to buy the app for $17/yr than subscribe through the Times. Works great, although I still do Sunday on the hard copy, since the grid is kinda small on the iPad. Would never go back now. I think doing the crossward is like playing scales with words.
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
thracks

Post by thracks »

I just got the iPad Mini Retina. Love the size. It suits me much better than the air. The full size iPads always seemed too bulky, but to each his or her own. I plan on picking this interface up soon.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iConnMIDI2p/

Connects to the lightning port (with adapter) and provides MIDI AND audio pass thru, basically turing your iPad into a plug in inside DP or any other DAW. Check the Sonic State review...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUYUx3KOHwg
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

There are pen looking things that you can use in place of your finger to select and swipe, they are thin so that selecting small print is easier.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.