Mavericks, Curiouser and Curiouser.

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks, Curiouser and Curiouser.

Post by Shooshie »

Mike, Have you found a site that's like the "Cliff Notes" guide to the System Logs? I study and study those logs, and I think I've come up with the culprit, but it never is. If someone has made a list of suspicious entries, that could be helpful. And if someone has made a list of the most important logs, it would be helpful to eliminate the dozens of others that aren't so important, though I've begun to get a feeling for those. The first one... "All Messages" or something like that - seems like the most fertile ground, but I have to search for strings to eliminate the clutter, and I haven't guessed the string that is causing problems yet. Perhaps you have favorite logs?

Not ready to send them to anyone else yet. I'm still determined to crack this myself. But it's being VERY elusive. I thought it was JiTouch for a while, because there are JiTouch failures all over the place. But I don't think that's what was doing it. I completely removed it and used Better Touch Tool for a while — which was very painful; JiTouch does what I do, and BTT doesn't, at least not as well as JiTouch — but that didn't stop the problem.

There are a lot of things in there which just are meaningless to me. I look them up, and they're always Apple files that are just deep, things we don't see, so they aren't suspicious after all. But I keep wondering if I've got a virus or trojan. Sophos hasn't identified one.

Freaking crazy. It's been working for the past few days without a problem. But periodically it slows up to the point that just dragging the cursor across the screen takes like 5 trips across the trackpad (instead of about an inch of quick dragging), and things take 5 minutes to open, and all kinds of disk spinning is going on. Those logs are mind-numbing, and again... I haven't found the culprit. But I KNOW it's there. If you have any tips I'd be open to them or if there is a site that actually has quick-and-to-the-point information that can help. Most stuff I find really just tells me what I already know, and maybe nowhere nearly as much as I have grown to know now.

Ok. Things are all right at the moment. Will let you know if it gets really bad again.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks, Curiouser and Curiouser.

Post by mikehalloran »

Suspect the first or second line that follows loaded kexts: in the report as in the example I posted yesterday.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro