DP 9?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9?

Post by twistedtom »

Ahh MIDI mutants! :shock:
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Just give me the ability to edit CC data with faders and with the same features I can now use to edit and automate audio. Lanes or no lanes...Yes, I use filter all the time, it is a nice feature, but once I am editing any given CC, I need to have the control I have when automating audio. Snap shot, trim, touch, latch..and, if I grab a CC fader, I want to be able to over write CC1 from the moment I touch the fader instead of over write from the moment I hit record or adding doubled cc data.

So how about just having every CC data type easily assignable to a fader or, if you click a cc type, a fader for it automatically comes up, with all the same features of audio and MIDI faders? I don't think that is too outrageous a request,
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:Just give me the ability to edit CC data with faders and with the same features I can now use to edit and automate audio. Lanes or no lanes...Yes, I use filter all the time, it is a nice feature, but once I am editing any given CC, I need to have the control I have when automating audio. Snap shot, trim, touch, latch..and, if I grab a CC fader, I want to be able to over write CC1 from the moment I touch the fader instead of over write from the moment I hit record or adding doubled cc data.

So how about just having every CC data type easily assignable to a fader or, if you click a cc type, a fader for it automatically comes up, with all the same features of audio and MIDI faders? I don't think that is too outrageous a request,
I'm just passing through on this one... but how is the Custom Console feature these days? Can it do this?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:Just give me the ability to edit CC data with faders and with the same features I can now use to edit and automate audio. Lanes or no lanes...Yes, I use filter all the time, it is a nice feature, but once I am editing any given CC, I need to have the control I have when automating audio. Snap shot, trim, touch, latch..and, if I grab a CC fader, I want to be able to over write CC1 from the moment I touch the fader instead of over write from the moment I hit record or adding doubled cc data.

I'm just passing through on this one... but how is the Custom Console feature these days? Can it do this?
That is indeed an interesting question. It is one of DPs truly hidden gems and something I wonder if any other DAWs do. The key word being “hidden”. Not that anyone hides it, but, I would like to see MOTU really design what I ask for. That said, I have wondered about this myself?
Long ago, I knew how to use custom consoles and designed killer interface for a Roland VS-880. One better than MOTU’s , who eventually came out with one.

I have not used custom consoles in yrs now, good question.
Last edited by toodamnhip on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The problem with Custom Consoles is that each one is track-specific. You can't just pull one out and put it on another track without going into it and changing the targets. Like 2damhip, I once created a massive interface for something, I don't even remember what it was now. It became unwieldy when I had to change things. Once everything was set up and working, they were wonderful to use. Once in a great while I still come across a reason to use one, but it's been a while. Very powerful tools, those.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep, I made an entire working virtual front panel for my Ensoniq EPS 16+. I believe it still works although haven't fired up hardware modules in... oh... ages!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:The problem with Custom Consoles is that each one is track-specific. You can't just pull one out and put it on another track without going into it and changing the targets. Like 2damhip, I once created a massive interface for something, I don't even remember what it was now. It became unwieldy when I had to change things. Once everything was set up and working, they were wonderful to use. Once in a great while I still come across a reason to use one, but it's been a while. Very powerful tools, those.

Shoosh
I wonder if one could make a MIDI track targeted by a custom console, with fader targets going to CC data, and, (if that even worked), duplicate the track and erase the MIDI data in the track, yet retain the targeting? Thus, set it once, and use duplicate for all copies thereafter? SOmething tells me this woulnd't work, but it was an idea..lol
So Shoosh...in your recollection, can one created targeted, fader based CC controllers that have all the features of regular faders, (touch-trim-latch-) etc??

I will add this: The fact that MOTU made such a feature shows they are capable of forward thinking in the area of translating data that needs control, into faders and consoles. So what I ask for shouldn't be too big a leap for them to understand...Now you guys got me really curious about these things..when I play around next time, I will not even remember which sub menu the custom consoles were in..lol..
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Fader Automation isn't a part of Custom Consoles, though you can cause it to match and follow an existing fader on a track and track it either positively or negatively (in reverse). Maybe you could automate the existing fader and the Custom Console would follow the automation via the fader itself. I haven't tried that.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|