Old Steinberg software orphaned in Mavericks

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Old Steinberg software orphaned in Mavericks

Post by Timeline »

Two of my previously loved VIs still unfrozen and needing their parent is Hypersonic and Virtual guitar. Plouge Bidule does not solve the issues of these accent VI's but does allow them to open in Mavericks without being blocked.

The file that directs these VIs to find the sound libraries is blocked however. There is a stream of musicians crying about this on the forums out there and there is some talk about digging into the code of the file called "Set VG2 Content Location.app", a 96K file of PPC carbon code.

Is there anyone smart in code here able to look at this and figure out a rewrite? If so hundreds of owners would be thankful to find the solution if anything just to recover projects and freeze the files.

Thanks
GB
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
FMiguelez

Re: Old Steinberg software orphaned in Mavericks

Post by FMiguelez »

Glad to see I'm not the only disappointed person about this!

I still have Virtual Guitarist 2 (acoustic and electric), Groove Agent and Virtual Bassist.
From those 3, I only care about VG and GA.

Do you have VE Pro? Perhaps running it in 32 bit mode will allow us to use them?

I will probably get to this next week. So far it's at the bottom of my priorities until I get all my system up and running reliably.

At the moment they are still installed in my old G5. Since the G5 can't run the latest VE Pro either, then maybe it can be used as a slave run by DP (DP slaved to DP).

Do you have an old computer that can be dedicated to these Steinberg VIs?

I know there are currently much better tools for guitars, but there was something really nice about VG's simplicity and ease that still make it attractive. I really don't get it why they stop its development.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Doing a separate G5 would certainly be one way to recover the work but so far I have not due to the hassle involved, not cost as used G5's are about 200 bucks now.

Steinberg really messed up by pissing off the developers of these apps as I understand it. If I know who they were I would plead with them to re-write just enough code to keep em working down on the farm and even donate to the cause.

We seem to be currently like slaves to the code gods but aren't the dark ages done as we enter the next golden age? :)

Sagittarius me.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Lots of things o longer work because developers haven't updated to being "Carbon free" as it were. I'm surprised that it's being blamed on Mavericks, however. You should have experienced this in OS 10.8, too.

The usual culprit is not the plug but the host. Plugins with this problem like Izotope Ozone 5.04 wont work in DP 7 in 10.8 or 10.9 but will work in DP 8 32bit. It's not an issue with 64bit plugs.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I realize that Mike. I'm not blaming Apple as much as seeking workarounds for the love of these VI's. If blame is to be handed out it would go to Steinberg anyway, not the continual improvements in OS Apple strives for. Its not like we don't see this stuff coming unexpectedly.

Strangely, these VIs did work through M L until my update when Mavericks crashed on me, taking out my entire system as my backup was apparently no good. The reason they worked was because of this simple pointer file, which resides with the audio samples that carried the locations of the sample folders which had already transmitted the correct link to the App in previous compatible OS's and grandfathered the files to Mavericks. Reloading the software destroys the location file. It's only 96k of code and many others who love Virtual Guitarist, Hypersonic and others are also trying to make the pointer file work again for them too. I'm not alone here.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Oh, why didn't you say so? This is a common problem.

Usually, when links to plugins no longer work in DP 7, a complete uninstall and reinstall of DP fixes you.[]. If you have a 7.24 cd, run the installer, select uninstall from the drop down menu. Then reinstall.

I had that happen after the 10.9.1 update. It was my Izotope and MOTU plugs that went missing. Took 3 minutes, I think.

If you don't have a 7.24 cd, run the uninstaller from the 7.24 updater, then again from your CD. Reverse when done - you don't need any of the intermediate installers.

Mavericks didn't ask me to reauthorize.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Thanks for your reply Michael. I'll give it a go after a backup.