Buying a new MOTU interface

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
rainmaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Buying a new MOTU interface

Post by rainmaker »

Shooshie, it doesn't see them as two interfaces combined as one, it simply sees the one interface that's actually connected to the computer as one interface with more of its own inputs being used.

In other words, the computer really doesn't know that there is a second interface connected because to the computer, it's not (as far as drivers and such goes). You're simply plugging the outputs of the second converter digitally into the interface that is connected to the computer and Cuemix simply sees them as more inputs to the first interface. Because in fact, that's all they are.

But if you were to plug in the second interface via FireWire to the computer, it would have its own Cuemix interface because now the computer sees there are two separate interfaces connected. It's the fact that you don't plug that second interface in via FireWire and only it's outputs to the adat inputs of your first that you end up with all your channels present on both interfaces and in one Cuemix window.
rainmaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by rainmaker »

At least that's my understanding of it. I actually have never had the Motu FireWire interfaces. I've only ever had the PCI interfaces that always combine automatically into one Cuemix window. But from my reading about the other interfaces from Motu, I believe that's how it works.
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by twistedtom »

Shooshie wrote:
Tonio wrote:Congrats Shooshie, I'm sure the 896 will satisfy your needs.
I sure hope so. Replacing failed stuff is very low on my list of priorities. Things should just last for decades, IMO. I used to have an early 1950s refrigerator that we didn't replace until about 2005. It's in my garage now, and still runs. The only reason we needed to replace it was because the shelves and hardware kept breaking off, after 50 years or so of continuous use. We had a van that lasted 25 years. That's the kind of stuff I like! With computers, it's sort of the opposite; we like the newest stuff, because everything else is designed to work with only the latest computers, so you have to keep upgrading. But most of my rack gear is between 12 and 25 years old. That's changing now. Sheesh.

Shoosh
I have an old wife made in the 50's, she still works fine so I will keep her. :mrgreen:
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

Shooshie I have 2 896HD units that I have had for years. I had both of them modded by Black Lion and also bought their sync generator. I am very pleased. They continued to work great.
My hearing is not as good as others who say they an tell significant improved quality in the audio due to decreased jitter and the the improved component specs. I just know my audio sounds great. It seems as though the my mixes are more spacious and more apparent cleanliness to the low end if that makes any sense? More depth to the mixes overall I feel. Of course I cannot A/B the units as I had them both done the same time.
I recommend them though.
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Hey TT, don't talk about my 1224 like that :wink: :lol:
I just want an upgraded wifey :roll:

T
twistedtom wrote:
Shooshie wrote:
Tonio wrote:Congrats Shooshie, I'm sure the 896 will satisfy your needs.
I sure hope so. Replacing failed stuff is very low on my list of priorities. Things should just last for decades, IMO. I used to have an early 1950s refrigerator that we didn't replace until about 2005. It's in my garage now, and still runs. The only reason we needed to replace it was because the shelves and hardware kept breaking off, after 50 years or so of continuous use. We had a van that lasted 25 years. That's the kind of stuff I like! With computers, it's sort of the opposite; we like the newest stuff, because everything else is designed to work with only the latest computers, so you have to keep upgrading. But most of my rack gear is between 12 and 25 years old. That's changing now. Sheesh.

Shoosh
I have an old wife made in the 50's, she still works fine so I will keep her. :mrgreen:
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

All jokes aside, nice review/thoughts Shooshie, I'll need some to time to regurgitate :?

My initial thought/question( which I forgot to bring up earlier) is: does the xlr input bypass the preamps? I only glossed over your review(s), so I may have missed it.

Oh, I have an old frig (Sanyo)thats in the garage- I won't say what we use it for...

T
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you have not seen Magic Dave's NAMM videos yet, I recommend them. I posted links in the Tutorials thread.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27

I found the one on the 828x particularly informative. He goes into CueMix FX pretty well. The demo has put me in the market for the 828mkIII Hybrid - although I may rethink that and get the 896. In any case, my 828mkII is still working great but I liked the possibilities of the mkIII.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Tonio wrote:Does the xlr input bypass the preamps?

My understanding is that the preamp knobs become trim knobs for TRS input, while in XLR they become preamp gain. You double-tap/hold for about a second to turn on phantom power. Double tapping alone gives you a -20dB pad. Lights beside each knob apprise you to the current function.

The Trim knob has something like 53dB gain. Very impressive, and if I recall correctly, it's analog gain controlled by a digital knob.

So, to answer your question more succinctly, with TRS input, the knobs are trim knobs. Tomato, tomahto, potato, potahto, Pre-Amp, Trim. It's all about gain in the analog domain. Want -10dB line pad for TRS? Use the trim. Want +4dB line level for TRS? Use the Trim.

The more I use this thing, the more impressed I am with it, but I don't have time to describe it fully right now. It's a very versatile device!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|