Accordion Advice Sought

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Accordion Advice Sought

Post by HCMarkus »

I'd like to pick up an inexpensive accordion to mess around with and add some acoustic flavor to recordings that call for it. Any advice you can share on models that you like, caveats or recommendations will be appreciated!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
stubbsonic

Re: Accordion Advice Sought

Post by stubbsonic »

Have you thought about a melodica? They are quite a bit cheaper, and have a nice shallow learning curve. I know it is a different animal, but it does add a nice quality to a track. And being able to control the dynamics with breath is really nice.

Accordions are so nice, especially because of the bass sounds. I had an old honor student model that was easy to figure out. Had a nice sound, but was a one-trick pony.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks Stubbs; I'm ok with a single-trick horsey. I may get a melodica, but am interested in accordions, too.I love breath control; use it with MIDI all the time!
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I'd like to see someone post something encouraging here, but unfortunately that person wouldn't be me. I tried to mess around with one once and it was actually much harder than I thought. First you have to get used to smaller keys, and on a different dimensional plane, and buttons for chords ... then there's the whole pumping thing ... Just one more thing to worry about ... Not quite as bad as trying to learn to ride a unicycle at the same time, but leaning in that direction. The accordion iPad app I tried all ended in tears as well. Maybe if I'd had more patience and some guidance ... but just not for me. I'd rather just find a good sample library ...

But hopefully we have someone with better experience out there ... I'd love to hear from someone who actually LIKES playing them.

Babz
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

I used to play and won some trophies between ages 5-7. Hahaha! I don't usually admit to that one.

However, you could offer me a million dollars to play one today, and I would probably sound worse than a beginner, at best. I switched to guitar at age 12 and never looked back.

One thing I do remember: If you purchase a used accordian, make sure the bellows aren't cracked. If an accordian isn't used for a long time, and the bellows aren't worked, they will get brittle and become worthless.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm not looking to achieve artistic brilliance on accordian; most likely use would be in an "indie" context, where expressive imperfection is vital.

Good advise on the bellows condition tritone... let's roll out the barrels!
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Sorry for drifting OT...I met Frankie Yankovic during my "accordian prime", and he told me (this is the truth!), "If you practice everyday for six hours a day, you might get almost as good as me" (he never heard me play). LOL! I think I was about six years old.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

HCMarkus wrote:I'm not looking to achieve artistic brilliance on accordian; most likely use would be in an "indie" context, where expressive imperfection is vital.
Lol, I think "Indie" context is about feeling like you could do just as good as the artist, and are uncomfortable about putting them on a pedestal.

This is why I pretty much detest the Indie scene. I know lots of Indie rockers, and although I like them personally, it really gets my goat. I feel like it's a "genre" built around making sure the artist isn't too good, they're just a normal Joe playing their heart out "just like you!" I'm sorry, I've studied my entire life to be a moderately good musician, and I like to listen to musicians who can do stuff I never could... I like to listen to them BECAUSE they can do stuff I can't. I don't want to be coddled and told that I could be up on this stage too. Because when I finally am on that stage, I want to feel like I worked very hard to get there.

sorry, </rant>
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
adriano

Post by adriano »

Babz wrote:I'd like to see someone post something encouraging here, but unfortunately that person wouldn't be me. I tried to mess around with one once and it was actually much harder than I thought. First you have to get used to smaller keys, and on a different dimensional plane, and buttons for chords ... then there's the whole pumping thing ... Just one more thing to worry about ... Not quite as bad as trying to learn to ride a unicycle at the same time, but leaning in that direction. The accordion iPad app I tried all ended in tears as well. Maybe if I'd had more patience and some guidance ... but just not for me. I'd rather just find a good sample library ...

But hopefully we have someone with better experience out there ... I'd love to hear from someone who actually LIKES playing them.

Babz
Hi Babz,

Try this link http://www.bestservice.de/en/accordions.html
The library was created by Eduardo Tarilonte (Best Service). I do own all of his libraries, but not the accordions, I just never needed it.

Adriano
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Prime Mover wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:I'm not looking to achieve artistic brilliance on accordian; most likely use would be in an "indie" context, where expressive imperfection is vital.
Lol, I think "Indie" context is about feeling like you could do just as good as the artist, and are uncomfortable about putting them on a pedestal.

This is why I pretty much detest the Indie scene. I know lots of Indie rockers, and although I like them personally, it really gets my goat. I feel like it's a "genre" built around making sure the artist isn't too good, they're just a normal Joe playing their heart out "just like you!" I'm sorry, I've studied my entire life to be a moderately good musician, and I like to listen to musicians who can do stuff I never could... I like to listen to them BECAUSE they can do stuff I can't. I don't want to be coddled and told that I could be up on this stage too. Because when I finally am on that stage, I want to feel like I worked very hard to get there.

sorry, </rant>
Congratulations. Back to the accordian, which I now plan on mastering... :lol:
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

You go HC :mrgreen: Isn't there an accordion player (accordianist?) in Little Italy??
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The best inexpensive accordions are found in small towns where there used to be a big music center offering lessons and forming Accordion Bands - yes, really. You will find 50-60 year old instruments in nearly new condition in second hand shops and as trade-ins in music stores. These have been hiding under beds and in closets for decades, long after the parents who paid for them have either departed or no longer remember the in$ane amount of money that was originally paid.

Knowing this, I paid very little for an excellent instrument a decade ago. The town was Rancho Cordova, CA where I lived between the ages of 4 and 15. Cordova Music Center (the perpetrator of the original crime) being long gone, I walked into the only music store in town and asked if they had any used accordions. I had my pick of over 20 and the store owner was quite glad to sell me one. All I remember is that it's 120 bass, probably in perfect shape still and that it was made in Italy - and that it's sitting unused in my basement next to all of my analog gear.

I used it on a couple of projects. My wife and daughter have always threatened to bring it out now that I no longer play. I no longer take them seriously on that subject.

You want to check that the bellows are good and that the metal reeds aren't tarnished - this is done by checking to see if it plays in tune.

Your standard piano accordions come in three flavors: 12 bass, 48 bass and 120 bass where the buttons repeat many of the chords.

I had a 48 bass instrument that I played live. The intonation suffered to the point that, when it was accidentally left behind at a gig, I didn't bother to retrieve it. The band never asked me to get another so I never bothered.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Tonio: Little Italy, yes, but I want to DIY this. :banghead:

Great stuff Mike. I appreicate your input and advice.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

I can't help you with the accordion - I had my fill of the awful things living in Paris.

OTOH, if you're looking for bagpipes, there's a guy in a house across the alley behind my studio who I hear practicing most afternoons... :mrgreen:
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Pls don't get mad at me - said with humor - but my advice is to forget the accordion altogether!

Can't stand their wheezing uber harmonica sound, sorry!
If there was an anti-accordion club, I would join!
:dance: :dance: :dance:

But you shouldn't listen to me, if it makes you happy, go for it.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku