Accordion Advice Sought

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Accordion Advice Sought

Post by HCMarkus »

Guys, I don't see it becoming my passion, but the accordion is an ACOUSTIC instrument that this keyboardist who never learned to play guitar might be able to have some fun with. Pianos are such a pain to cart around.

That said, DeepSix, I'll pass on the bagpies. :vomit:
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Don't sell bagpipes short! I always liked the idea of a musical weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPcYKZ7HS1s

To be fair, these are Uilleann pipes, not Highland Pipes. Much less dangerous.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I believe that Craigslist + $300 + a bit of time will allow you to find exactly what you want - as long as it isn't a recent Hohner.

Your basic piano accordion has three stops: They have various names but one is an octave lower than the other - the third is both together. The lower octave reed plate often stops sounding on the bottom octave of the keyboard - this is normal.

Fancier ones have more including "tremolo" reeds that are slightly de-tuned. Don't mistake a tremolo reed set for tarnished, out of tune reeds. The effect will be even up and down.

Tarnished reeds are easy to detect when both reed plates are engaged. Some notes are in tune while others are ghastly.

There's a solitary button on the bass side that, when pressed, allows the bellows to expand and contract without sounding a note. A good, tight bellows will allow almost no movement unless that button is pressed or a note is being sounded.

I had no idea that I knew so much about these.

Btw, every professional piano-accordionist I know makes very nice money for gigs. It doesn't hurt to speak a bit of Italian.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I love accordion. Mary Black's Babes In the Wood album comes to mind. Acoustic guitar, double bass, piano, accordion, dobro, mandolin, Mary's voice. Couldn't sound better. Great stuff! Accordion works in so many ways.

Have fun with it, Mark. I always enjoy it when I play my friend's.
DP10.13
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

cuttime wrote:Don't sell bagpipes short! I always liked the idea of a musical weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPcYKZ7HS1s

To be fair, these are Uilleann pipes, not Highland Pipes. Much less dangerous.
After watching that, I'd say "make love, not war", on several levels.

And thanks Dan. You got the spirit!

I'll be in the Bay Area come Easter, Mike. Wanna' sell me yours?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm open to that. I should be able to check it out long before then. I'm planning to head over there today, in fact so, if I can lift it up the stairs, I'll bring it home (I'm handicapped). The basement is at my Victorian, not the house where I live.

The danger is that, when I pull it out, that my wife will say that she still means to learn how to play.

We'll talk.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote: We'll talk.
Thanks Mike!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

In terms of ease of playing, the pipes make an accordion feel like a kazoo. Buy a bagpipe chanter and take your best shot if you don't believe me. if you can play three notes in a row in tune after five years you're a genius. :) (Okay, maybe it's not that bad, but lord, it ain't good.)

Mike's got the accordion thing nailed. Fort Wayne once had one of those massive music stores that specialized in the wheezing beast, and our pawn shops and second hand shops are loaded with good ones.

DO THIS: Take a tuner with you shopping. Plenty of old accordions got wanged on by bored grandkids and had their reeds pushed out of tune. A quarter tone off isn't uncommon.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

HC, I've had an 80-bass accordion for sale for years now, that no one has seen because it turns out the store (which has moved three times) has kept it in the back room the entire time I've had it on consignment so no one has even had a chance to try it. It's a very versatile model. Shoot me a PM if you want to try it out; I've been too busy for almost two months to go pick it up during their EXTREMELY limited hours (just a few hours a week, and I usually take BART vs. drive which further minimizes my chances to take care of this important errand).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH