What? No Beatles 50th Anniversary Thread?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What? No Beatles 50th Anniversary Thread?

Post by Frodo »

I'm Shockton A. Palled!!

:shock: :shock:
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Dan Worley

Re: What? No Beatles 50th Anniversary Thread?

Post by Dan Worley »

Wow! Hard to believe that show was 50 years ago, and everything that changed afterwards. It sure changed my life, and I was only eight.
DP10.13
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

duh, you got it wrong, it was twenty years ago today...
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

BKK-OZ wrote:duh, you got it wrong, it was twenty years ago today...
:lol:

It's getting better all the time.
DP10.13
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I was born then (just turned 50).

A friend gave me a Beatles poster which is above my monitors.

I've long used Beatles songs to teach young guitarists. It's a bit weird now that the Beatles are to the kids what ..maybe.. Duke Ellington was to me growing up.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
billf

Post by billf »

"The Beatles have no future in show business"

Decca Records :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFWAm4cP5-g
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

billf wrote:"The Beatles have no future in show business"

Decca Records :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFWAm4cP5-g
And Decca was nicer about it than my own parents were.

So, here we are all these half-centuries later.

Ain't it nice?

Don't know 'bout you folks, but I get by with a little help from my "f'einds".
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

50 years - explains why I'm so tired. I wonder should I get up and fix myself a drink.
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I never heard The Beatles until one summer visiting relatives in Alabama, when my older brother threatened to break my arm again if I didn't take one for the team and buy Magical Mystery Tour, which had just come out and which he had heard was a great departure for the teeny-bopper band into more varied material.

I had to sneak it under my shirt all the way back to my grandmother's house, and we had to wait for all the adults to gather in another room before we dared put it on the turntable, with the volume turned as low as it would go before shutting off.

I was hooked from the intro, being a big fan of winds and brass. Then, with "Fool on the Hill", I was transported to another world. Pop music -- what little of it I had managed to hear -- had never brought visual images to mind the way classical and "polite jazz" had.

It's funny that all these years later, it's some of my least favorite Beatles material, feeling less passionate and tight from an ensemble point of view compared to the rest of their oeuvre.

But I was changed forever by that act of rebellion (my first, as I recall). My heart was racing for fear of what would happen if I was caught listening to "the devil's music", but even though the lads were far closer to my parents' age than my own, I perceived them as older siblings and couldn't wait to read a biography of the band that I found at a paperback shop.

Once my parents found out, I was given a stern lecture about how pop music was ushering in the end of the world and was a front for a fifth column Communist takeover of America, but more than anything, they were convinced I was going to go on drugs. That I idolized them and read everything I could about them, and never so much as even tried pot, is a lesson a lot of parents should learn from (except Justin Bieber's), to trust that kids don't automatically emulate everything their idols do and are capable of separating personal values from pop culture norms.

I initially was stuck with the bastardized Capitol Records editions of The Beatles' catalogue (Magical Mystery Tour falls into this category as well, as it was a slightly truncated EP soundtrack paired with some singles), filling them in as I could, in a rather random order exacerbated by the bizarre repackaging that paid little heed to chronological order and left off some of their best songs. My best friend had an early copy of their first album on Vee-Jay which had the marvelous "There's a Place" and "Misery" that Capitol for some reason chose to chop off and abandon completely.

As soon as the Parlophone imports found their way across the pond, I replaced my set, and couldn't believe that not only was the sound so much better, but many of the songs weren't even the same recording, and that a veil had been lifted as the false reverb was gone as well as the fake hard-panned stereo "mix".

That I was hooked via such inferior pressings (the wrong master was often used, and Capitol mucked with the material extensively to the point that many still believe that studio musicians were used stateside to overdub here and there to make them sound more "American"), says a lot about their talent. Similarly with their live concerts, where they barely had any monitoring.

Of course they had tightened up in Hamburg and it was initially their live concerts (especially in Japan, where they experimented with radically different versions of their songs -- alas, shortly after I heard these, they were yanked off the web) where they showed their ensemble tightness and passion. What silly hairdos they had courtesy of Brian Epstein, but somehow that helped them with the female teen market over here. Thank goodness they moved away from that look and let their personalities shine through later.

If I had been old enough to hear them in 1964 and had had a means to hear them live, I would like to transport myself to Japan, where initially the fans were too polite to scream. I think they had a few concerts like that in Sweden as well (most of those likewise have been removed from YouTube, yet there's no indication they'll ever be formally released).

Years later, my Mom had warmed to some of McCartney's material and she declared that The Beatles were the last pop act to write melody, while my Dad held steadfast that there were no melodies to be found in any of their music; just noise.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Well written, MH. Enjoyed it!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

crduval

Post by crduval »

One of my earliest music memoirs was sitting in the back seat of my parents car and hearing 'she loves you' - I had to have been 4-5 years old. It was the 'yeah yeah yeah's that stuck in my head.

Years later I remember my brother coming home from school and excitedly announcing the John lemon was recording a Christmas song. "What's it going to be called" asked my mother "f#%k Christmas?"

Revolver was the first record album I ever got (along with the soundtrack of Hair - my parents never listened to the lyrics of that record too closely!) I still love that record. Tomorrow never knows rules!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Watching them on Sullivan, the first thing that anyone in the room said was that they couldn't possibly have written these song, and maybe were not even really playing and singing them. I have to credit my parents, uncles and aunts for recognizing greatness when they saw it, but they couldn't believe that it was present in louts from the North of England.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
billf

Post by billf »

Frodo wrote:
And Decca was nicer about it than my own parents were.

So, here we are all these half-centuries later.

Ain't it nice?

Don't know 'bout you folks, but I get by with a little help from my "f'einds".
Maybe it was fate. After all, if Decca had signed them, George Martin would have never entered the picture. Who knows how all that might have turned out.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

6.30pm on Feb 14 here...and it's not like I'm big on martyrdom festivals but apparently "All you need is love, love; Love is all you need."
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying