Mavericks is getting on my last nerve

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks is getting on my last nerve

Post by BKK-OZ »

I think my early problems with Mavericks on my new MP (iTunes glitchiness) may have occurred because of the 'optimising' process that the OS goes through when first installed. I got the little advisory pop-up right after I installed, dismissed it and didn't think anymore about it. Then iTunes struggled to play back cleanly (eeke!). When I next re-booted, no advisory pop-up, and all seems to be well now. Why optimising would cause iTunes to worry is beyond me, and I don't know if that was the cause, but so far, so good.

Mavericks isn't perfect for me though - coupla weird things...

I can't figure out how to get it to start up with the last Finder window open. I like to have a standard Finder window up, with tabs set up so I can easily get to the files I need and even if I tick the 're-open windows' box when shutting down, it never opens up that Finder window for me and I have to go and set it up fresh each time.

I am also experiencing a glitch with my MS ergo keyboard. The command for toggling apps (Alt+Tab in windows) doesn't work, unless I go into System Preferences and click on the control panel for the MS keyboard. I don't have to change any settings, just the act of going into System Preferences seems to be enough to remind Mavericks what kind of keyboard I have.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Somewhere in the this thread, someone was looking for a simple way to do a search in the Finder that would default to a partial name match, rather than a full match. I just discovered that Shift-Control-Command-F does just that.

You will be taken immediately to a search box at the top of a Finder window in which files with a partial match will fill the screen as you type in the string.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

bayswater wrote:Somewhere in the this thread, someone was looking for a simple way to do a search in the Finder that would default to a partial name match, rather than a full match. I just discovered that Shift-Control-Command-F does just that.

You will be taken immediately to a search box at the top of a Finder window in which files with a partial match will fill the screen as you type in the string.
Helpful! Thanks!
DP10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:Somewhere in the this thread, someone was looking for a simple way to do a search in the Finder that would default to a partial name match, rather than a full match. I just discovered that Shift-Control-Command-F does just that.

You my friend are officially owed one beer by me! I was asking that. Love it! Thanks! :woohoo:

EDIT:
I like that, but I notice it's also doing partial searches on file content... not just file names. That will still need some mouse clicks to narrow it. But it's still very useful! :) Either way, you'll still get your beer! :headbang:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
David Polich wrote:... Apple tech support, and was told by the tech support person that Mavericks slows down Macs older than two years.
Some independent confirmation of that would be helpful. I suppose it's testable.

OTOH, I don't believe everything an Apple tech says. One told me that there is never a need to repair permissions, and another, that there was nothing wrong with Norton Utilities.
Uh.. Yea. My iMac is now 4 years old and Mavericks made it more responsive than ever. I don't think it can get any faster with a mechanical HD.

I want to go to an SSD but won't be going inside. Having an eSATA port, I will be able to use an SSD in a dock.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro