Rubbish music: why we judge others for their musical tastes

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Rubbish music: why we judge others for their musical tas

Post by mikehalloran »

I believe his point was that only the top 3% endures. Obviously, he didn't live long enough to know about oldies radio, classic rock and a gazillion broadcast, cable and streaming outlets catering to every whim.

Still, I recommend Deems Taylor to anyone interested in the critical thought process. He rarely addresses it directly; it is the subtext beneath his entertaining stories and articles.

I seldom critique but I could do worse than emulate him when I do.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:

black square, copyr. 2008 Robert Matson
That's an obvious forgery. :roll:

Here it is exposed.

Rotated 90 degrees clockwise and we can almost make out the forger's taunting and mocking message to the art world.

Here is a much better forgery.

Be more careful from now on.
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

How could I have possibly missed that?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

LOL!
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dan Worley wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:

black square, copyr. 2008 Robert Matson
That's an obvious forgery. :roll:

Here it is exposed.

Rotated 90 degrees clockwise and we can almost make out the forger's taunting and mocking message to the art world.

Here is a much better forgery.

Be more careful from now on.

Dudes! Do you have permission to post those pictures? Those are copyrighted! I sympathize with the guy. People have been defacing my masterpiece for decades. It's called "letter-sized white rectangle." (©1984 Shooshie) I see it all over the internet, and I even receive MAIL on copies, defaced with the sender's text. One of these days I'm going to sue all those people and collect my royalties on "letter-sized white rectangle." (©1984 Shooshie) By the way, I created "letter-sized white rectangle." (©1984 Shooshie) on the first 128K Macintosh. I've gotta thank Steve Jobs and crew for giving me the ability to create such abstract art — something I was incapable of doing before the Mac — which changed my life and turned me into an artist.

Shooshie
  • ©2014 Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

I got a letter from "anon" this week tipping me off to a bootlegger selling my scores. Time to crack open the champagne.

As far as the other thing, we have not copied the works in question, we referenced their location. Saying the Mona Lisa is in the Louvre isn't the same as stealing it. Arrrrr! :arrrr:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:The discussion is kind of silly...
Welcome to the silly club.
Saying something is silly, then participating, is kind of like saying 'I disapprove of what I am about to do', then doing it.
Judge not, lest you become your own judge and jury.

I spend a lot of time thinking about what the 'good' is. Not just in art, but in every sense, in evry way, especially as I get older. I think about what is better, better for me, for everyone around me, for things like what I do for a living, how I treat others, even in terms of what I put in my face for food - did someone mention Italian? Yum.

To understand the difference between discernment and discrimination, between what is good and what is not, a life's work.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
MIDI Life Crisis

I disapprove of what I said and I'd say it again. :lol:

I didn't say silly is bad. So much of what passes for "life" is actually very silly. Consider paper money. The "actual" value of the paper money in terms of materials used is very low, whether a $1 dollar bill or a $100 dollar bill. In fact, their actual value in terms of materials is about the same, yet the latter gets you a lot more. On it's face, that seems kind of silly.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Silly is often very very good.

Now, where is that Italian food?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
MIDI Life Crisis

Actually, I really do got yer Italian food right heeeere. Lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I will be cooking it up today, homemade goodness.
Some one posted a photo on Facebook from the Grammys of a woman performer's butt bent over, she had on a thong, now that is art? :shock:
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

twistedtom wrote:now that is art? :shock:
More likely it's Guinevere.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
twistedtom wrote:now that is art? :shock:
More likely it's Guinevere.
Or Lance.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

More like a strip show. :oops:

The stuffed shells are in the oven, home made sauce to go with them, now that is art.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Soon to be ort.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8