Robots with soul

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Robots with soul

Post by Shooshie »

This is a TED talk from a guy who designs and builds robots. He takes us through his influences and inspirations, starting with Pixar's "Luxo Jr." lamp animation, and tells how he learned that motion is the key to conveying soul and emotion. So, after learning about animation, acting, and many other things that would influence him, he began to design robots that move with more of a human approach, interacting in real time rather than responding only sequentially to commands.

http://www.ted.com/talks/guy_hoffman_ro ... _soul.html

Somewhere along the line this carried over into music-making robots, and he shows what a difference it makes when the robot who is playing with you acts more like a human who is feeling the music.

There are principles in here that will have some effect on what we do in the future with music. Not only music, but how we interact with robots in our lives.

This is one of those talks in which the more you bring to the table, the more you will get out of it. So, use your imagination; let your thoughts run wild, and listen to what this guy is contributing to our future lives.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Re: Robots with soul

Post by Phil O »

Thanks for that link, Shoosh. I watched the whole thing. I had no idea anyone was working at that level of sophistication. Move over, Siri.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thanks for posting that, Shoosh.

I LOVE TED Talks!
I think its link should be in everyone's Safari menu bar. It just gives you very interesting stuff to listen to while having breakfast or lunch 8)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote:I LOVE TED Talks!
I think its link should be in everyone's Safari menu bar. It just gives you very interesting stuff to listen to while having breakfast or lunch 8)
Me too! About once a month, I spend a few hours watching TED talks. Some will just blow your mind. I sincerely hope that at least some of these people are successfully integrating their brilliant ideas into our lives, and that they don't just end up "another good idea in a TED talk."

For anyone who wants to add it to their menu-bar, or bookmarks bar, or whatever it's called,

Voila:

http://www.ted.com

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I REALLY want one of those lamps.

Curious, Luxor was a big inspiration to me at one point back when I was first learning motion graphics. I decided to take it one minimalistic step further and make an animation with bouncing monochrome boxes. They jump around, yell nonsense at each other and get all excited about an upcoming news feature (until they get splatted by a giant box). Needless to say, to this date I rate it as one of my favorite works... even though it's all of 10 seconds in length.

Awe, what the hell, here it is. Definitely wasn't my intention to show off, but since I'm talking about it:
http://video.ericbarker.com/Commercials ... igDeal.mov

BTW: I've always been drawn to animation that pays less attention to realism and more to motion. I'd rather see robots like Guy's, they don't look anything like humans, yet they're able to express themselves just as well. I like their slightly exaggerated exuberance.

Here's an interesting question. Is it bad to actually "feel" emotion toward robots? Because that's what we're getting at, when I watched those, it really made me go "awe" and "Yeah, man, dig it!" but they're not real and don't really feel. Yet, we already are completely okay with that, empathizing with characters in a novel, or an animation, or actors playing fictional characters in a movie. Maybe empathizing with robots isn't going to be any different, and we shouldn't worry about it too much.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Prime Mover wrote:Maybe empathizing with robots isn't going to be any different, and we shouldn't worry about it too much.
My guess is that there is already a Steve Jobs or Elon Musk of robotics at work, creating the robot we all just have to have. This guy may be him. This is going to be very interesting.

Shooshie