Ear Cleaning??

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ear Cleaning??

Post by Julia123 »

My Dr. just told me I need to come back and have an ear wash. 100% blocked in one, 90% in the other, & I have an ear infection. (YUK!) The funny thing is I never felt like my ears are that waxy and I would have never known if he didn't just check them.
I was told by an older recording engineer a long time ago that I should only use q-tips on the outside of my ear and then leave the rest alone, and I've always followed this advice. So now I'm nervous about letting this Dr. (who know how good he really is at this) mess with my ears. Also, I don't want to create a situation where I have to keep going back, which I've noticed seems to be the case. I can't believe how nervous I am about this, but hearing loss runs in my family so I'm hyper sensitive. Any opinions on this procedure and it's after effects? He's having me put softening solution in over the next few days till the appointment. Thanks.
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Ear Cleaning??

Post by Prime Mover »

Do it.

After a certain point of blockage, no amount of self cleaning will work. Don't worry about the procedure. I've had it done at a few different clinics and it's always been non invasive. They use one of a number of different hand pump or seringe-like devices to spray fairly high pressure water against the wax. The water may or may not contain some chemicals of some sort to help break down the wax. It may take a little while for it to work, the water needs to break through, behind the barrier and counter act the vacuum the wax is causing. Then it usually just comes right out on the next go-around... But it may take as much as 20 minutes for one ear (though likely shorter). Your 90% blockage will probably go quickly.

The thing about ear wax I've found is that it seems to create a completely flat frequency response in attenuation. I once put on headphones with my left ear 100% blocked (my left ear always gives me problems) and panned the signal hard hard left... It sounded exactly the same as no blockage, I was shocked. That could explain why you aren't noticing it if it's happening in both ears, you're getting an overall attenuation, just hearing everything quieter.

In the future, a way to prevent wax buildup is to, every so often, tilt your head sideways in the shower, and find a point where the water is shooting down your ear canal. That should keep things continually clear so they don't build up. I can't think of any reason why getting your ears cleaned by a doc will make you have to go back in continually. You should only have to go in when it gets really bad. From now on just do the shower thing or an occasional self clean kit (with water or liquid), and you shouldn't have to go back. The only time I ever have to go back is when I get lazy and forget.

Water (or any liquid) is your friend for ear cleaning. I wouldn't recommend using any implement to try to dig it out, you'll likely just end up packing it down, and could hurt your ear in the process.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

Thank you! That calms my nerves a lot. Now I'm curious how much quieter things have gotten for me. I have noticed over the past year or so that I have better hearing in my right ear. That's the one with the 100% blockage so now I'm wondering if this is going to make the difference more noticeable when both are cleared. I'll find out.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Ask your Dr. exactly what he will do, how often he does it, and what complications there might be?

I had a cleanse done very successfully about a year ago and it was easy and painless. OTOH, my dad had one done a long time ago by a not so competent Dr. and it damaged his eardrum. It was painful for him but if there is no infection it should be fine. It should also be essentially rinsing and using water/hydrogen peroxide in a gentle but firm flow from something like a rubber bulb or quasi syringe. There's a specific name for the actual procedure but it escapes me at the moment. Some French sounding name like Earágê. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I've just heard it called an earigation. Sounds like a dumb pun, but that's what I've heard multiple Docs call it.

Depending upon the implement used to inject the liquid, it might not even be an issue. a pump style one with a rubber nozzle is probably pretty hard to damage your ear with. The syringe I had once had a pointy plastic tube, and I'd be weary of a doc using it who doesn't know what he's doing... thankfully mine seemed really good. Maybe you can ask to have it done with the safer implement? I think the syringe is possibly more effective, but most of the docs I've seen use a rubber nozzle with a squeeze ball or pump.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I had the syringe method done a couple times second time I got a little dizzy but was no big deal.
The first time I couldn't believe all the crap that came out I guess once you reach a certain age stuff just starts growing in there.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I've had mine done a couple of times. Easy, painless and no damage to hearing, although you will be amazed at how much different everything sounds when it's finished.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

This reminds me to book an appointment. We're having cedar pollen issues in Southeast Texas, and I know that I'm clogged from all of the sinus. And I definitely know my ears are affected.

I've had it done 2-3 times with a very competent ENT Doc.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

Thanks all. When the woman scheduling set the appointment she made it sound as if it is something he does regularly, even though he is just a general practitioner and not an ENT. I will call tomorrow and double check on what he uses and just to ease my nerves, how often he really does do this, and if he's ever had any issues or complications with the procedure. Thanks again, it sounds like something I really should do even though I'll be dragging myself in reluctantly.
joelfriedman

Post by joelfriedman »

Julie, I've had it done in offices and I've done it myself. they do sell "home kits" - which are drops and a rubber ball like what mike said. If you do it yourself just do 1 ear at a time and be prepared to lie on your side for 20" as the stuff works away. Then use the syringe bulb in the bathroom with warm water. Literally rinse and repeat with the other side.

I love this list! Where else do you get discussions like this? Of course I've complained to MOTU about this, to bring it back on topic, as they need to add the auto-clean plugin Auralator to DP 9. You know Logic already has it, and that's why I've had enough with DP and I'm switching to Logic... Immediately!!! -:)
Joel Friedman
Web: http://www.joelfriedman.com
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/joelfriedman
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/joel-friedman/1b/7b2/8a9

iMacPro 2017 3.2 GHz, OS 13.6,3 32GB RAM, 4 1 TB HD's (boot, project, and samples), MOTU UltraLite MK4, Nektar Impact LX88
DP 11.3, MachFive 3.2, MX4 2.2, Ethno 2.01, Komplete 14 Ultimate (don't ask...), Sibelius Ultimate, Symphobia v. 1.06, assorted libraries...

MacBook Pro M1 16 GB RAM OS 13.6.3
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

joelfriedman wrote:Of course I've complained to MOTU about this, to bring it back on topic, as they need to add the auto-clean plugin Auralator to DP 9. You know Logic already has it, and that's why I've had enough with DP and I'm switching to Logic... Immediately!!! -:)
You don't know about the workaround for this? It's been discussed here over and over again.:deadhorse: Do a search on ear whacks.

But seriously, Julia, I've done the home kit too. The one I did had you put a few drops in your ear, lie on your side for 5 minutes, then rinse. Easy, gentle.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I use a product called 'Audiclean', once a week or so in the shower. Few dribbles in each ear, lean the head to the side for a min or so, then rinse and repeat. Now my ears are clean, not sure about my my mind tho...
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I just use Drano, extra strength.

The information above is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information, contained on or available in this post is bullsh••. I, Dan Worley, and my representatives, take no responsibility for the accuracy of information contained in this post, and such information is subject to change without notice. You are encouraged to confirm any information obtained from this post with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician, or whoever. NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ ON OR ACCESSED ON THE INTERNET, UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT TO.
Last edited by Dan Worley on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP10.13
joelfriedman

Post by joelfriedman »

Dan, I'd vote for you in a second. I don't know why, but I would. Will you run for something?
Joel Friedman
Web: http://www.joelfriedman.com
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/joelfriedman
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/joel-friedman/1b/7b2/8a9

iMacPro 2017 3.2 GHz, OS 13.6,3 32GB RAM, 4 1 TB HD's (boot, project, and samples), MOTU UltraLite MK4, Nektar Impact LX88
DP 11.3, MachFive 3.2, MX4 2.2, Ethno 2.01, Komplete 14 Ultimate (don't ask...), Sibelius Ultimate, Symphobia v. 1.06, assorted libraries...

MacBook Pro M1 16 GB RAM OS 13.6.3
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

joelfriedman wrote:Dan, I'd vote for you in a second. I don't know why, but I would. Will you run for something?
ImageImage
DP10.13