Ear Cleaning??

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Ear Cleaning??

Post by bayswater »

Interesting map Dan. Are you on a voodoo tour?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've got a Motor-Tool by Dremel, which I'm pretty sure has an ear-cleaning attachment. I haven't found anything for which it does NOT have an attachment. 30,000 rpm, that. Just stick it in and turn it on. Cleans ears in seconds. (Caution: do not over-clean)

:shake:

Oh... and don't forget the special ear-lube to make it clean its best. And the special head-press mounting bracket with crank. And the melon-sized vice for clamping your head to the table while using the ear cleaning attachment in conjunction with the head-press with crank.

:deadhorse:

Ok, I assume you all know I'm making this stuff up, and that nobody would ever stick a 30,000 rpm motorized device in your ear for any reason except for do-it-yourself lobotomies. And there's an attachment for that, plus a head-vice and...

:mrgreen:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I have my wars cleared of impacted wax
and debris every six months, by an
otologist in Beverly Hills, Dr. James
Andrews. He's one of the top otologists
in the country. No ear wash or irrigation
is involved...he uses a camera-equipped
probe with a vacuum suction tip and
a pair of micro-tweezers to pull up the
really stubborn gunk.

I wear earplugs constantly ( during rehearsals,
at gigs, concerts, movies, anywhere where the noise levels
exceed 90 db). As a result, wax and debris
get packed in over the course of months.

I had my ears cleared of impacted wax
back in 1997 and then didnt do it again
until 2009. My hearing had become
quite blocked but I didnt know how bad
it was until I went for a hearing test and
was told my frequency response curves
completely rolled off at 5k..I literally
could hear nothing above that. That
doctor recommended Dr. Andrews to
me and after I had my ears cleared by
Dr. A, it was like I had taken ear plugs
out of my ears. Going back to stuff I
had mixed was depressing because
everything had massive amounts of
shrill treble on it. That taught me to
get the cleaning done on a regular
basis.

Here's the thing. The world is a
freaking noise festival, and the air
is full of particulants. Dont think that
you can get away with clearing your
ears once every five or ten years.
Have it done by a doctor, preferably
an otologist, twice a year. Home
treatments dont clear all the gunk
out. And wear earplugs, not only at
gigs and rehearsals, but anywhere
where you have to yell to be heard.
The average downtown city street
exhibits noise levels approaching
110 db. Your ears will thank you
and you'll be able to do your job
later in life.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

joelfriedman wrote:Dan, I'd vote for you in a second. I don't know why, but I would. Will you run for something?
:lol:
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Julia123 »

Ha--that is some funny stuff :-) I appreciate all the responses, I'm thinking now I can rest assured that I won't walk out of the Drs. office with damaged hearing.
I wear earplugs constantly (during rehearsals,
at gigs, concerts, movies, anywhere where the noise levels
exceed 90 db). As a result, wax and debris
get packed in over the course of months.
I wonder if that is what helped this along, I wear earplugs quite often as well. Sometimes for milder situations I'll just use cotton (carefully).
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Ear candle treatment! Seriously!

Find someone in your area (check out your local 'oovy-groovy' shop) and see who does 'ear-candling' with the wax tubes and smoke.

You lie on your side, candle goes in ear...... and the practitioner watches the smoking candle (to monitor, as well as make sure your hair doesn't catch on fire!)

Hey!!!... it really works!..... clears the ears and the mind!

Check it out.... look it up... it's for real.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

artfarm1 wrote:Ear candle treatment! Seriously!

Find someone in your area (check out your local 'oovy-groovy' shop) and see who does 'ear-candling' with the wax tubes and smoke.

You lie on your side, candle goes in ear...... and the practitioner watches the smoking candle (to monitor, as well as make sure your hair doesn't catch on fire!)

Hey!!!... it really works!..... clears the ears and the mind!

Check it out.... look it up... it's for real.
Uh, yeah. The thing is, as funny as it sounds, I really have no doubt that it's real. But what's even more bizarre than that is the fact that someone actually laid on their side and stuck a fracking candle in their ear, burned it down, and proclaimed success, then turned it into a business.

It's like what I tell weird people when I meet them and they confide their secret self-loathing at being so weird: "don't worry, there's always someone weirder than you."

Meanwhile, ear-wax isn't weird or disgusting or anything else if you take care of it and get it cleaned out. If a screwdriver doesn't work, and a candle doesn't work, then I'd at least go to someone with some kind of degree in stuff like this, preferably from a med school that doesn't advertise in the back of comic books.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
DorisLucero

Post by DorisLucero »

Julia123 wrote:My Dr. just told me I need to come back and have an ear wash. 100% blocked in one, 90% in the other, & I have an ear infection. (YUK!) The funny thing is I never felt like my ears are that waxy and I would have never known if he didn't just check them.
I was told by an older recording engineer a long time ago that I should only use q-tips on the outside of my ear and then leave the rest alone, and I've always followed this advice. So now I'm nervous about letting this Dr. (who know how good he really is at this) mess with my ears. Also, I don't want to create a situation where I have to keep going back, which I've noticed seems to be the case. I can't believe how nervous I am about this, but hearing loss runs in my family so I'm hyper sensitive. Any opinions on this procedure and it's after effects? He's having me put softening solution in over the next few days till the appointment. Thanks.

Cleanliness is a guarantee of health. Ear cleaning is mandatory in order to preserve the health of the ears. Cleaning with a vacuum cleaner that is recommended on the site https://bestvacuum.reviews/lightweight-vacuum/ which has a lot of reviews on lightweight vacuum cleaners and on other vacuum cleaners is mandatory for maintaining the health of the respiratory tract because actively vacuum cleaners are dust free!