The Sound of a Silent Film

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The Sound of a Silent Film

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't EVER post full versions of my performances, and this is no exception. But I recorded my accompaniment to Harold Lloyd's "Safety Last" at the Granada Theater yesterday (Jan 19, 2014). There were a thousand people in attendance!

Every audience is an organism, and this one was no exception. And what an orgasmic organism they were. They latched onto Harold Lloyd's funny bone and didn't let go.

So what I decided to do was, instead of the expected thing (get rid of audience noise) I edited out any moment in the performance that DIDN'T have an audience reaction. The result is the linked MP3 below. About 25 continuous minutes of reaction only. You can hear the piano in the background but that's not the point. The point is what this laughter breathing organism call the Granada Audience had as it's collective personality. The musical score jumps here and there and is NOT meant to represent the score or the film except as a background to the audience reaction to the film.

Quick note: The guy you hear laughing close to the microphone (which was in the back of the house) is the sound technician. Anyone who has worked in theater knows the hardest audience you have are the techies. Well, I think Harold nailed him as well. Anyway, take half an hour or skip around, but I think within a few minutes you'll be laughing along with these wonderful folks.

Who says silent film is dead! Not a chance.

http://www.midilifecrisis.com/Music_and ... _Piano.mp3

Here's the promo piece to the event:

http://www.independent.com/news/2014/ja ... d-silents/

Enjoy!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
adriano

Re: The Sound of a Silent Film

Post by adriano »

Hi MLC,
I enjoyed the "backward concept?" of not getting get rid of audience noise.
Really liked the results also, I've seen Harold Lloyd's movies, many times. I actually closed my eyes and kicked back and it felt as if I was in the audience.

I always enjoy your work and this one made my day.

Thank you for sharing,
Adriano
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
MIDI Life Crisis

Cool! My pleasure. Thanks for your response.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

That made my morning.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

That's freakin' awesome, Mike!

This audience interaction thing must be so cool from the performer POV.

Didn't Cage write his famous silent piece to explore this same thing?

Let me ask you something:
How much do you react to the audiences' reactions, and how does that reflect on your playing?

Were you fully improvising in that show, or was it something prepared? Please tell me it was the latter...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Total improv and yes, I feed off the audience to a large degree. Having a 9' Steinway and 1000 people in the audience helps a lot.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Julia123 »

That is so cool! Now I want to know what I'm missing --Thanks for sharing.
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.