Sonnet Thunderbolt-to-PCIE chassis - new hope for UAD?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by David Polich »

Just wondering if anyone has seen this - Sonnet's new Thunderbolt-to-PCIe chassis. Has
me wondering if the "old" UAD-2 Solo and Duo cards will work on it:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpress3r.html
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Phil O

Re: Sonnet Thunderbolt-to-PCIE chassis - new hope for UAD?

Post by Phil O »

There's a link to their compatibility page:

http://www.sonnettech.com/support/chart ... index.html

If I'm reading this chart right, the UAD-2 stuff is compatible.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

That looks like UAD-2 cards are indeed
compatible. VERY good news!

I wonder why UA has stated that they
couldnt get these cards to work with
the new Mac Pros? And Sonnet could
figure out a solution?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Wow! That is great news!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Need to write to these guys and see if they can test the MOTU PCIe-424. That would be really great if that will work also.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

If I understand this correctly,this will not work with the new MacPro,Magma has the same kind of enclosure and these utilize the older PCIe addressing technology,they tested with the present UAD2 cards and Macs that pre-dated the new MacPro.
From what I've read there's no way around getting cards that have the older chips, the only reason the Omni card will work with the new MacPro is because they have the newer chip set and even this will not work until UA develops and issues a firmware upgrade for new MacPro/Omni card users.
These enclosures will be beneficial to users that have a Macbook Pro,MacMini etc...that have thunderbolt who want to use external PCIe cards, again if I understand this correctly.

What isn't being discussed much on many forums is the Apollo Quad via Thunderbolt will also not work with the new MacPros and I suspect users will need FW --->TB adaptors to use these with the new MacPros.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Until UAD makes an announcement, I would not be assuming anything.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

this thread on GS is imo somewhat relevant :
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... 013-a.html
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

kgdrum wrote:If I understand this correctly,this will not work with the new MacPro,Magma has the same kind of enclosure and these utilize the older PCIe addressing technology...
Drat! If it sounds to good to be true... :(

mikerbaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mikerbaker »

A little off topic(thunderbolt - that is) but has anybody got the 424 pcie or pci card working in any kind of expansion chassis - express34/54. or desktop pci/pcie to expansion chassis ala magma?
i tried an exsys chassis way back using my macbook pro 2007 - got it to see a uad card but not very well and didn't see the motu card at all