Studio and equipment valuation for divorce settlement?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Renaissance Man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Studio and equipment valuation for divorce settlement?

Post by Renaissance Man »

My wife of 29 years recently left me. A real kick in the gut.
I'm going to try to hold on to the studio if I can, as it's my primary source of income (if you want to call it income...).
We need to have the recording studio and equipment valued for the settlement. Appraisers in my area flat out won't touch it. Any suggestions?
Mac Pro Mid 2012 12-core 3.46GHz, 128GB RAM, SSD, Mojave, DP11; Waves Mercury & SSL 4000 Collection, SyncroArts VocAlign Project 3, EastWest Quantum Leap Pianos & Voices of Soul, Nomad Factory Integral Studio Pack, BBE D82 Sonic Maximizer, Slate Digital VCC, RC Tube and Trigger, MOTU PCIe 424, 3-2408Mk3's, 24io, MTP AV USB, Apogee A/D & Big Ben, CraneSong HEDD 192, ATC monitors, tons of outboard & microphones, MIDI/keyboard rig, house drums & tuned percussion...
HCMarkus

Re: Studio and equipment valuation for divorce settlement?

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm very sorry for this difficult development in your personal life.

You may be able to document from EBay and Craigslist sales. Make sure to use SALES, not ASKING PRICES as a guide. Pawn shops coud be your best source of info. There once was a "Blue Book" for audio gear.

This is one time when the fact that equipment is a depreciating asset will be a good thing for you. *Vintage gear caveat*
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Very sorry to hear the trouble you're going through. It's tough, I know.

Maybe use the value of the studio and gear listed on your insurance.
DP10.13
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Sorry!

Not the same situation, but whenever I sell something, I generally go to eBay and see what the items sold for (Completed Auction option). That gets me a range, at least.

Best...

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Maybe use the value of the studio and gear listed on your insurance.
Not for this purpose. It will be too high.

There are a few ways to go. The first, as suggested a couple times already, is to use eBay to get an idea. Look at completed/sold listings if your gear is popular enough to show up.

The second is value after depreciation. If you have been using something like TurboTax - any version that lets you do a Schedule C - and your records are good enough, you should be able to print a list from your Asset Entry Worksheets. Your tax accountant should have that also. For some of us, that's a pretty big if on the records department. If you haven't been keeping up on this, however, that's a lot of work to do from scratch. You will have to factor a residual value as if you sold it - few things are worth absolutely nothing (I feel an Edwin Starr moment coming on).

The third way is to pay for a valuation. Ideally to a dealer of studio gear. That person will do a short version of the first two methods. You'll need a complete list including date purchased (if known) or the best you can recall, price paid new, any accessories and condition.

Sorry to hear about your situation.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

+1 on not using insurance. That could be close to replacement cost, not the current value. If you have been using capital depreciation on the equipment as a write down on tax, it may be best to keep the values consistent with that, as Mike suggests, rather than using eBay.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Sorry for your problem. I'm not a layer, but know enough to know that a judge or referee will want some form of documentation on the declared values. THIS LINK might be helpful for some items.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
TnMike

Post by TnMike »

Sorry to hear about that and I feel your pain. I would think tools you use for your main income would be exempt from settlement? I hope everything works out for you.

G5 2.7 GHZ, DP 7.24, MOTU 2408, Ivory, SD2, B4ll, UAD-1, Melodyne, Ramza DA-7,
Mac Pro Intel 2010, 16 gigs RAM, Apollo Quad, 2408 mkIII, Raven Mti2, UAD-2, MTPAV, Superior Drummer 3.0 drums, Ivory piano, B4 organ, PodProxt, Kemper, Ozone 9, Apogee Mini-Me, Roland R-8
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Bummer
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

The guys at sweetwater will do it as a service if you provide them the list and pictures.
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)