OLDER MICRO EXPRESS

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
peteone
Primary DAW OS: Windows

OLDER MICRO EXPRESS

Post by peteone »

Reposting from another section as I didnt get any responses

Hi everyone wasn't sure which section of the forum to post this, but since this one gets lots of visits.

I picked up a MIDI box that I bought on ebay. It's an older version of MOTU micro express.

Plugged it in box doesn't power on. Got a friend who is very crafty with electronics so he was able to check the power section of PCB board and if everything is getting power, but it still doesn't power on

However we think that there possibly might be something missing. Well actually its missing a microchip but sometimes manufacturers leave a chip slots empty for expansions etc. So we are not sure. We couldn't find schematics online.

So I thought ill post pictures here maybe someone would be so kind and open their box (super easy) only 2 screws (sides) and tell me if their unit has that chip inside??. Pictures are here

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: OLDER MICRO EXPRESS

Post by mikehalloran »

If yours is old enough, it will not work with Intel based Macs. To fix that, you need the upgrade chip set. MOTU sold that for $24.95 + shipping. Unfortunately, it is no longer on their web site and I cannot even find the tech notes on it.

It is possible that yours had it and someone pulled the chip to make another MOTU MIDI device - the same chip fits many from the Micro Express to the MTP AV (like mine)

I have been looking for the diagram that came with the chip set but may have tossed it. I have no idea what the layout should be for yours and, if you are missing the likely chip, where to get it.

It's also possible that the open slot is correct and you have another problem.

I would create a user profile and post a Tech Link in Support at MOTU.com showing that picture and see what they say. If it is the Intel compatibility chip, they may know a reseller who still has some.

My old Micro Express is a serial unit. I'll be happy to open it and take a peek if you like but, not being a USB model, that's not likely to be much help.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Curiosity... I pulled the cover on mine.

Because of what is written on the sticker, I'm pretty certain the missing chip is the one with the firmware - which explains why it is missing per my last post. The good news is that it's user replaceable. Hopefully, MOTU will be able to sell you a replacement or know who can.

When I ordered my MTP AV upgrade, it came with two chips. One had an identical sticker number to an installed chip but I replaced it anyway. It wasn't the firmware chip. I don't know if the ROM upgrade for the Micro comes with one or two.

While you are in there, replace the CR2032 battery. A thin blade screw driver will move that metal clip aside and the battery falls right out.

I cannot find this on MOTU.com anymore but here it is:

"This ROM update allows certain older MOTU USB MIDI interfaces to operate successfully with PCs or Macs with Intel Processors.

If you are using the Micro Lite or Express 128, or a MIDI Express XT or Micro Express with removable rack ears, your interface already has this latest ROM version and you do not need to purchase this ROM update.

If you have another MOTU MIDI interface model, check the printed label on the bottom of the unit. If "M/W" is printed on the label, then your interface already has this latest ROM version and you do not need to purchase this ROM update.

If the label does NOT have "M/W" printed on it, then you need this ROM update to successfully operate your interface with an Intel PC or Mac."
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
peteone

Post by peteone »

thank you very much for your responses - I am actually on a pc - just noone responded on the forum - so what you are saying that empty slot shouldnt be empty am I correct?

also when I get home today i will check the stickers at the bottom
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

peteone wrote:thank you very much for your responses - I am actually on a pc - just noone responded on the forum - so what you are saying that empty slot shouldn't be empty am I correct?
Correct.
peteone wrote:also when I get home today i will check the stickers at the bottom
Doesn't matter what the sticker says but it will likely say M/W. I am pretty certain that someone cannibalized this unit to add M/W to another MOTU MIDI interface. Even if it doesn't (then why is that chip missing?) that appears to be the slot where the upgrade goes.

Now you have to find someone to sell you the firmware upgrade ROM chip. Definitely call MOTU first in case they have a few left. The info is no longer on the web site and the links when you Google it no longer work.

My serial/parallel version has 1.0.6 printed on the sticker. The replacement will probably say 2.0.1 or later. That's the firmware version.
peteone

Post by peteone »

Well here is the sticker, I don't see M/W

Opened case with Motu lets see what they say

peteone

Post by peteone »

got a response from MOTU

Hi Peter,

This micro express is missing its main ROM chip. Since this model of the micro express has been out of manufacturing for some time, we no longer have replacement ROM chips for them.

This being the case, you may want to see if it's not too late to return this to whoever sold it to you. Please let me know if you have any other questions about this!

Best,
Campbell

----

freaking unbelievable!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Damn - and no reference to a source for the chip.

Weird that the chip was pulled from an older box - unless someone the upgrade and later pulled it. Well, come to think of it, I don't know if I have the old chips from my MTP AV.

At least with the MTP AV, the start up screen shows the ROM version. So, if it has the old sticker, 2.0.1 on startup tells you that the chip was updated.

I have heard that all except the MTP AV take the same updated ROM. Since the AV has a screen, it makes sense that it uses a different chip. I can't confirm this, however.

Here's hoping that you can return the one with the missing ROM.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have decided to get my old micro express out of mothballs. Everything is in the box except the manual. Probably misplaced in another box from my move in 2004.

I've opened a Tech Link to see if there's anything I should know about the differences between the serial and usb versions – besides the cables, of course. The second gen takes the same manual as my MTP AV USB and is also downloadable.

I have this G3...
TJasienski

Post by TJasienski »

Did you manage to return or repair this old unit?

I can see on the photo, that it still contains it's USB chip, barely visible behind the rear panel connector. It's a narrow long chip with a paper sticker indicating the version. Did you check what version is on this chip? It might be something like AVUSB 1.31 or AVUSB 1.32 and the latter is quite in demand.
peteone wrote:got a response from MOTU

Hi Peter,

This micro express is missing its main ROM chip. Since this model of the micro express has been out of manufacturing for some time, we no longer have replacement ROM chips for them.

This being the case, you may want to see if it's not too late to return this to whoever sold it to you. Please let me know if you have any other questions about this!

Best,
Campbell

----

freaking unbelievable!
Two MTP II units working to split a single MIDI out to multiple sound modules. One MTPAV USB waiting to upgrade to AVUSB 1.32 chip - PM me if you got one.