Waves vouchers - does anyone understand these?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Waves vouchers - does anyone understand these?

Post by David Polich »

So I went ahead and re "WUP'd" my Waves plugs for another year. Then I get an email from waves saying thank you and here's your voucher equivalent to the cost of re-WUP-ping. I'm thinking, great, I can get a new Waves plug-in basically free, because the voucher is worth more than the cost of the plug-in I want (the "REDD" Abbey Road console plug-in).

But no. I go to purchase the plug-in, apply the voucher code, and I still have to spend another $75. There's a dialog box that comes up saying "you have exceeded the maximum amount allowed by the voucher and therefore the voucher amount will not be applied". But even if that was true, it still looks like a percentage of the voucher was applied, just not all of it.

Does anyone understand this Waves shell game? The best I can make of it is that one can only apply a percentage of the voucher at any time, but you still have to shell out money to buy another plug-in, or plug-ins. It reminds me of the old "bait-and-switch" tactics employed by users car dealerships.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Waves vouchers - does anyone understand these?

Post by NazRat »

I believe you can only apply 25% of the cost of single plugs and 50% of the cost of bundled plugs against the voucher. If the price of REDD is $100 (don't know the actual), you can only apply $25 dollars of your voucher towards the cost. Say the Kramer 'bundle' is $200, you can apply $100 of you voucher to that. You usually need to buy multiple plugs or higher priced plugs or bundles to use up your voucher. Hope that makes sense.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

The shell game has two parts. As Naz points out, you can't buy any plugin outright with the voucher. You still have to pay for at least half of it. No so great considering most of them go on sale for 50% at some point in the year.

Part 2: when it time for them to rewup you, the fee is based on the full retail price of the plugin you bought at 50% off. Part 2 doesn't really matter if you are already paying the max wup fee.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

bayswater wrote: No so great considering most of them go on sale for 50% at some point in the year.
Sometimes the timing is right and you can use the voucher on a plug that you wanted when it's on sale. The same percentages apply to the sale price. Third parties also redeem vouchers (i.e. AudioDeluxe) and you can take advantage of their extra discount. If you do go the third party route, sometimes it takes a couple of days for them to get back to you with the discounted prices with the voucher.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1