UAD $50 coupon. Why am I non plussed?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: UAD $50 coupon. Why am I non plussed?

Post by Babz »

Having been burned repeatedly, from PCI, to PCIe, to PCIx, I finally ditched PCI permanently when my G5 died. Now I'm using an 828mk3 and a UAD-2 Satellite with a Mac mini. This thread stirred up more future-proof worries for me, so I just googled and found out the Satellite should work with a FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter.

I'm still stuck with my old UAD-1 PCI card, which I could sell for like $50, if I could find someone interested in buying it.

Babz
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by David Polich »

I don't think any company should claim their products are "future-proof", including Apple.
Does anyone remember the old G4 (or maybe it was a G5) ad that Apple ran, saying it was "so fast, it had to be classified as a weapon by the U.S. Department of a Defense". Or something like that.

The situation with UA isn't their fault - it's Apple's. I'm sure that up at UA HQ, there were a lot
of "oh f__k" comments when they realized they couldn't get the PCI cards to work with the new
Mac Pros. Frankly, I'm kinda p.o.'d at Apple for dropping PCI support. Part of me wants to
resist buying any new Apple products just out of spite.

At any rate, unless you're doing heavy video production, there really is no need for a new MP
at all. I'd go with a used late 2012 12-core if I were in the market for a new machine. Max out the RAM, add SSD drives, good to go for any music production. And you can keep your UAD cards.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
kgdrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by kgdrum »

David Polich wrote:I don't think any company should claim their products are "future-proof", including Apple.
Does anyone remember the old G4 (or maybe it was a G5) ad that Apple ran, saying it was "so fast, it had to be classified as a weapon by the U.S. Department of a Defense". Or something like that.

The situation with UA isn't their fault - it's Apple's. I'm sure that up at UA HQ, there were a lot
of "oh f__k" comments when they realized they couldn't get the PCI cards to work with the new
Mac Pros. Frankly, I'm kinda p.o.'d at Apple for dropping PCI support. Part of me wants to
resist buying any new Apple products just out of spite.

At any rate, unless you're doing heavy video production, there really is no need for a new MP
at all. I'd go with a used late 2012 12-core if I were in the market for a new machine. Max out the RAM, add SSD drives, good to go for any music production. And you can keep your UAD cards.

+1
I agree 100%
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........