That "last 10%"

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: That

Post by Shooshie »

buzzsmith wrote:On a slightly different note, Shooshie mentioned Vladimir Horowitz.

About 30 years ago, we had the absolute pleasure of him hearing him live in Jones Hall here in Houston.

It was an abnormally very cold sub-freezing February day in Houston that afternoon and everyone in the theater was still bundled up and a bit chilled as we waited for the artist to appear. (Solo piano-no orchestra.)

Vladmir strode onto stage shortly to much applause and began to play...magical!

After the first piece (more thunderous applause) he acknowledged us and walked off stage. The stage was empty for about 5-6 minutes and the crowd was silent at first, then soft murmuring. I was wondering if it was just his age or style.

Then, from stage left came two bulky khaki clad stage hands who approached the master's piano. They looked at it a bit, and then one gave it a gentle butt-nudge near the top right where it begins the gentle curve to the left side of the piano and then they left to some scattered applause and some amused laughter from the crowd.

Horowitz shortly reappeared to more applause and gentle laughing and sat down and finished his concert.

To this day, I still wonder if this was a kind of "ice breaker" at his direction or if the piano was not just perfectly aligned with the front line of the stage!

In any event, I had NEVER heard such tonalities from a piano...I was hearing brass, woodwinds, low strings, everything...from just 88 piano keys.

Amazing touch.

Gorgeous.

Probably the best concert that I ever attended.

I'm a fan of many great pianists, but to this day I have not heard one who can compare to Horowitz in one respect: the independence of his lines. Garrick Ohlsson comes close, and may be the heir apparent. But you have to marvel at someone who can get all those independent lines out of strings that are all part of the same instrument, indeed which are shared by different lines at different times. It's magical. Again: those strings all sound alike, and their sound all comes from the same source direction. You can't change the basic sound of any of them without changing all of them. Yet he could "mix" his lines on the spot, and you could always hear them as clearly as if they were coming from different instruments placed around the stage.

The reason I bring him up and dwell on this is sort of "if he can do it with a single, mono-timbral instrument, I should be able to do it with a ton of high-tech equipment, and software made especially for that purpose (of which less is usually more)." No excuses! It kind of frames the problem and puts it in perspective for me.

Buzzy, I missed that concert. Didn't find out about it until it was over. But I heard Rubinstein a few years earlier, playing two concertos in one concert, as well as "Happy Birthday," which he beautifully improvised for Miss Ima. (I think it was her 85th or 90th or something) But I'd have loved to hear Horowitz in recital. What great fortune it was that you got to hear him!

Lots of good answers here. Not sure I agree 100% with the professional/amateur definition, simply because the parameters aren't well-enough defined, but I agree that a pro "gets it done." And all the answers make sense. MLC... that was a framable answer. I mean, it's just perfect, and you could hang it on the wall.

I think my new year's resolution, if I actually do one, will be to set a completion date for every project I start, and stick to it. To me, nothing says "pro" more than envisioning the project in sound and knowing how long it will take you to do it. Then... doing it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Re: That "last 10%"

Post by HCMarkus »

Not sure I agree 100% with the professional/amateur definition, simply because the parameters aren't well-enough defined, but I agree that a pro "gets it done."
I was going for pithy Shooshie. :D You are correct, there is a tad more to it.
MIDI Life Crisis

That "last 10%"

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I prefer the terms: professional, practitioner, aspiring, or student. All are artists. The highest level of professional artist remains a student for life. That is my opinion, but it does seem to hold true. Those who think they can't learn something new or improve further are just fulfilling the Peter Principle of rising to the level of their own incompetence. One sees these people often in the academic arts world. The worst offenders are frequently found as the head of a department. Not always, but more often than not, having convinced the others that they are less incompetent than the next person.

Nietzsche says (aside from "blow it out your ass, Howard, here comes Mongo) that we start as the child who says "yes" - open to all possibilities, become the camel who takes on the challenge and says "pile it on," and finally we become the lion, secure in our knowledge and brave in our pursuit, ready to take on any challenge.

Thus spake Zarathustra.

But to get back on topic, there is no last 10% IMO. I am speaking in my role as a composer, so maybe that changes things, but the most important thing for me is the first 1%: the initial concept and vision for the final product (Shooshie mentions this as well).

To quote another hero of mine, Tchaikovsky used to say that a good, fertile theme is like a seed or an acorn. Great things grow from it, but a bad theme, or in the present case, a poorly or completely not thought out conception for the product can never end with a satisfying result - not even with an extra 999% of effort. All one does at that point is polish a turd.

Great thought provoking discussion and comments guys. Thanks for starting it Shoosh. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Re: That

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:To quote another hero of mine, Tchaikovsky used to say that a good, fertile theme is like a seed or an acorn. Great things grow from it, but a bad theme, or in the present case, a poorly or completely not thought out conception for the product can never end with a satisfying result - not even with an extra 999% of effort. All one does at that point is polish a turd.
There's a certain irony in the polishing phase. Polish a little and it glitters. But if you keep polishing, invariably it becomes a turd. They say you can't polish a turd, yet at the bottom of every can of polish, a turd sits waiting to ruin your noble efforts. And it's even harder to UN-polish one.

Now, for an irrelevant bit of trivia: I actually KNEW Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. There's a brief story behind that, but I'll save it for another day. Turned out the guy was Tchaikovsky's great grand-nephew or something like that. There was a family resemblance, and he was a composer, but I don't know what ever became of him. Certainly not in the league with the great Russian symphonist.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

Here's a couple of plugs that most likely would allow me to go a little further before I down tools and call it done. I'm not sure whether these tools are for turd polishing or un-polishing - possibly both :) I'm definitely planning on grabbing both 'tho as they look like a great way to deal with over EQing and unattractive ambiance - both issues that are all too often present in work I receive. The Unveil plug in particular would allow me to make substantial improvements.

Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:The difference between a professional and an amateur is the professional unleashes his creation upon the world while it is fresh, relevant and inspired, while the amateur continues working until no one cares anymore.
Ain't it the truth? Ain't it the truth?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm a fan of many great pianists, but to this day I have not heard one who can compare to Horowitz in one respect: the independence of his lines. Garrick Ohlsson comes close, and may be the heir apparent.
More than once, we've arrived at a concert to see a Bösendorfer on stage when we knew that the pianist we expected was a Steinway or Yamaha artist. Since Mr. Ohlsson lives in the area, we don't have to wait for the announcement from stage to know who the substitute will be. I have seen Garrick 9 or 10 times over the last 35 years but only bought tickets to see him twice, now that I recall.

I'd not thought of him as the heir apparent to Horowitz but I won't disagree. Every time I see him, I hear something new in the music.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

mikehalloran wrote:
I'm a fan of many great pianists, but to this day I have not heard one who can compare to Horowitz in one respect: the independence of his lines. Garrick Ohlsson comes close, and may be the heir apparent.
More than once, we've arrived at a concert to see a Bösendorfer on stage when we knew that the pianist we expected was a Steinway or Yamaha artist. Since Mr. Ohlsson lives in the area, we don't have to wait for the announcement from stage to know who the substitute will be. I have seen Garrick 9 or 10 times over the last 35 years but only bought tickets to see him twice, now that I recall.

I'd not thought of him as the heir apparent to Horowitz but I won't disagree. Every time I see him, I hear something new in the music.
We've never seen him. Next time he's in Houston, we'll change that.

On another different note, I recently attended a University of Houston Moore's School of Music chamber orchestra concert.

Not quite the same level (or size, obviously) as a major symphony, but highly enjoyable to see the younguns play with such passion and the student conductors. Very enjoyable couple of hours spent on a recent Sunday afternoon in a very nice venue.

I swear, one of the bassists looked about 16!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

. I swear, one of the bassists looked about 16!
At the risk of being completely off topic... For years, I have been recommending the San Francisco Youth Symphony for those wanting a world class concert experience on a limited budget. They're that good.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

"Real artists ship." - Steve Jobs

How's that for pith?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Gravity Jim wrote:"Real artists ship." - Steve Jobs

How's that for pith?
In retrospect, I'm rather long-winded.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

HCMarkus wrote:

How's that for pith?

Are you kidding? "Long-Winded" is my middle initial!
:lol:

Shoosh
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Shooshie wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:

How's that for pith?

Are you kidding? "Long-Winded" is my middle initial!

Shoosh
Ha! I see what you did there.... :)
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Shooshie wrote:Are you kidding? "Long-Winded" is my middle initial!
Shoosh
Going way OT now, but I can't resist - read this the other day...

Q: What does the 'B' in 'Benoit B Mandelbrot' stand for?
A: Benoit B Mandelbrot
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

And all this time I've been calling him booboo. I am ashamed.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS