Why I try not to do my own hardware repairs

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Why I try not to do my own hardware repairs

Post by Dan Worley »

Super Drive goes out in my 1,1.
I remove it.
It's wasted.
Stuck open about a 1/4".
I order one from eBay.
Lost by USPS but finally delivered.
Seller very helpful.
It's difficult to install.
It keeps getting hung up.
Finally the sled snaps into place.
While Mac is booting I realize something...
I installed the old drive.
Profanity.
I install the new drive.
Doesn't feel quite right.
I ignore it.
Start up Mac.
It sounds like a hovercraft.
A very loud hovercraft.
Mac refuses to boot.
Unplug.
Open it up.
New drive will not come out.
It's stuck.
Profanity.
Finally get it out.
Ribbon cable in front of fan and under sled.
That's bad.
Reposition cables on top of drive
Put access panel back on.
Pinch the heck out of my hand.
Profanity.
Mac boots up.
Drive works perfect.
Thank you, Lord.
Sorry for profanity.
DP10.13
HCMarkus

Re: Why I try not to do my own hardware repairs

Post by HCMarkus »

Dan the Handyman. :lol:
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Was there an extra screw or other piece of hardware when you were done? That's what often happens to me. No additional profanity due to the process as my dialect is sufficiently laced "as is."

Still, in many instances I do my own hardware repairs since much of my equipment has been discontinued and/unsupported.

Rebuilt mice, printers, drives, pianos (electric and acoustic). All unfair game.

I'll try your procedures in the future.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

HCMarkus wrote:Dan the Handyman. :lol:
:rofl:

You got me.
DP10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It could have been much worse. Much, much, much worse.

Trust me on this one.

Glad it worked in the end.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Was there an extra screw or other piece of hardware when you were done? That's what often happens to me. No additional profanity due to the process as my dialect is sufficiently laced "as is."
No extra parts because it came pre-mounted on a sled, but I still screwed it up. :smash:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Still, in many instances I do my own hardware repairs since much of my equipment has been discontinued and/unsupported.

Rebuilt mice, printers, drives, pianos (electric and acoustic). All unfair game.

I'll try your procedures in the future.
I give you credit for doing all that, Micheal. If it's any more difficult than this, I usually won't even try it. Installing RAM is difficult for me, and causes me much anxiety. I added RAM to my partner's iMac and the first thing I did was pull off those little tabs. :?
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

mikehalloran wrote:It could have been much worse. Much, much, much worse.

Trust me on this one.

Glad it worked in the end.
You're absolutely right, and thanks.
DP10.13
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

This thread reminded me of a rather unique hardware problem I had
with my old G5. It was about three years old when the Super Drive in
it just stopped spinning. The door would open and the tray would slide
out, but CD's and DVD's just wouldn't spin up. I took it to a local
authorized Mac repair place.

I got a call from them the next day saying they had replaced the drive.
The cause of the trouble? A brown spider had laid eggs inside the
drive, and they had hatched - and clogged up the drive, there were so
many of them. When the technician opened it up, they all came crawling out.

Definitely the most unusual cause of hardware failure I've ever had.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

IMO, having other people do the work is just about as problematic, and you lose money. Then again, I spent a lot of time in my youth building computers, so I'm pretty handy with that sort of thing.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Prime Mover wrote:IMO, having other people do the work is just about as problematic, and you lose money. Then again, I spent a lot of time in my youth building computers, so I'm pretty handy with that sort of thing.
Amen! I do ALL my hardware repairs, until it reaches a point where it's simply beyond me. At that point, nobody else can fix it, either, without a motherboard replacement or just plain replacing the hardware, so that's when I either take it to Apple or buy another.

Very few of my external drive enclosures have their original drives in them. I find that the electronics rarely fail, but drives do. And I figured out how to add an extra SATA drive to the early Mac Pro's, by utilizing an unused plug on the motherboard. Quite a job wrenching the cable onto that plug, but it worked, and there was space for the drive in the extra optical drive slot. I even found an adapter to screw it down tight in the optical drive slot. I was amused and grateful to find that Apple gave us that extra SATA connector up there in the optical drive area in the more recent Mac Pro's, so we don't have to wrench those cables onto that motherboard anymore.

New fans in my MOTU interfaces? No problem. Just unscrew about 85 screws, and you're there. (no kidding) Fry's sells fans of the right voltage, it was an easy fix, though I do remember there was a little adapting to do to make it fit. But it's worked perfectly for a few years now.

These kinds of things would cost a fortune for someone else to do them. In fact, I don't know how I'd ever even find someone to do the repairs that I do. Could someone actually make a living these days doing those kinds of things? I don't know, but I enjoy taking things apart, fixing them, and putting them back together. Sometimes I manage to figure out how to make them better! So far, I've never actually lost a device from trying to fix it.

A few weeks ago, my wife set her old alarm clock on my desk and asked me to fix it. You can buy them for probably $5, but I decided what the heck? Give it a try. When I opened it up, parts flew everywhere, including the quartz-timed armature that you hear in there going "click.... click.... click...." every second. At first I was tempted to sweep it all into the garbage, but I decided to treat it like a puzzle. There were a finite number of parts, and a finite number of possible places to put them. After a few trials and errors, I managed to get it put back together, with the problem gears cleaned of worn material such that it once again kept time and... surprise... even sounded the alarm. (the alarm had not worked in at least ten years) It was an enjoyable project, and with nothing to lose (it was already broken), it was entirely for fun. I was more surprised than anyone when I managed to get the thing back together, but I did... twice! (the first time I forgot to position that armature correctly before closing it up)

As for the occasional profanity, I find that hardware responds to that much better than people!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I added a 2nd drive (Blu-Ray), a SSD drive and 3 HD's, RAM, a 2nd video card, plus some other cards to my computer. I have been a long time electronics hobbyist and went to collage for electronics engineering. I also took a number of repair classes, some of them in computers. I have a repair bench with an oscilloscope and test equipment where I fix different electronic gear and computers, mine and other peoples. I have designed and constructed gear for my studio, built a vacuum tube preamp, done modifications on amps and repairs, I have made a number of my own cables, just to name a few things. So working on my gear is fun to me, as sick as that may sound to some people.
:smash:
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I find it fun as well but nowhere near as elaborate a setup as twisted tom. Often I will have a piece if equipment that is clearly going to be replaced and trashed (printers, old laptops, peripherals, speakers) and my feeling is W-T-F? What can I hurt by taking it apart at this point? Sometimes with the help of online instructions and videos, sometimes without, I do a teardown and more often than not, find and fix the problem and avoid a replacement - at least for a while.

Other times something will start giving me problems that can't wait. A few years ago my Kurzweil PC88 fell about 8" and stopped working. OK, $3k for a new keyboard but maybe it's a loose connection or bad solder joint that came loose.

I opened the case and saw nothing that looked unusual. I simply pressed down each chip and the orchestral board, closed it up and it still works to this day. It was retired as a studio only controller and replaced with a PC2x but it still works! I can't remember how many printers I've rebuilt or tore down to clean heads or laser wires, etc. Success is generally about 85% for all devices. Beats the hell out of buying replacements every time due to planned obsolescence.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I've fixed some things by unplugging them for five years and then plugging them back in again. :woohoo:

That's my speed.
DP10.13
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

twistedtom wrote:I added a 2nd drive (Blu-Ray), a SSD drive and 3 HD's, RAM, a 2nd video card, plus some other cards to my computer. I have been a long time electronics hobbyist and went to collage for electronics engineering. I also took a number of repair classes, some of them in computers. I have a repair bench with an oscilloscope and test equipment where I fix different electronic gear and computers, mine and other peoples. I have designed and constructed gear for my studio, built a vacuum tube preamp, done modifications on amps and repairs, I have made a number of my own cables, just to name a few things. So working on my gear is fun to me, as sick as that may sound to some people.
:smash:

Wow! Maybe I'll start bringing my stuff over to YOUR house!

:D

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|