Why I try not to do my own hardware repairs

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why I try not to do my own hardware repairs

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:
twistedtom wrote:I added a 2nd drive (Blu-Ray), a SSD drive and 3 HD's, RAM, a 2nd video card, plus some other cards to my computer. I have been a long time electronics hobbyist and went to collage for electronics engineering. I also took a number of repair classes, some of them in computers. I have a repair bench with an oscilloscope and test equipment where I fix different electronic gear and computers, mine and other peoples. I have designed and constructed gear for my studio, built a vacuum tube preamp, done modifications on amps and repairs, I have made a number of my own cables, just to name a few things. So working on my gear is fun to me, as sick as that may sound to some people.
:smash:

Wow! Maybe I'll start bringing my stuff over to YOUR house!

:D

Shoosh
That's exactly what I was thinking. I wished some of you guys lived near me.
DP10.13
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

twistedtom wrote:I added a 2nd drive (Blu-Ray), a SSD drive and 3 HD's, RAM, a 2nd video card, plus some other cards to my computer. I have been a long time electronics hobbyist and went to collage for electronics engineering. I also took a number of repair classes, some of them in computers. I have a repair bench with an oscilloscope and test equipment where I fix different electronic gear and computers, mine and other peoples. I have designed and constructed gear for my studio, built a vacuum tube preamp, done modifications on amps and repairs, I have made a number of my own cables, just to name a few things. So working on my gear is fun to me, as sick as that may sound to some people.
:smash:
Similar experience here. I worked in a TV repair shop on weekends in high school, and learned the "trade". I've built a compressor, equalizer, amp, pedals, speakers, etc, and did all my own repairs on equipment and computers in the past. But over the years, design has changed making things less repairable, in theory to reduce the cost of manufacturing, but you have to wonder.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I'm surrounded by overachievers. How annoying. :vomit:
DP10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I do a lot of my own. Am balking at the idea of replacing the hard drive on my iMac with an SSD. I'm not afraid of the suction cups etc. but I just can't find a procedure that makes me feel comfortable trying it one-handed.

Towers, printers, hard drives on Time Capsules etc. - piece of cake. Soldering is an adventure but doable.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro