Why I like Slate Digital (and good news about FG-X)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why I like Slate Digital (and good news about FG-X)

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:Once I realized that you have to set FG-X's parameters to the loudness range in which you're working, I found it to be an amazing plugin. At first I wasn't getting much out of it, because I simply didn't know to set the dB ranges. The knobs are for fine-tuning, so you have to start out in the ballpark. That took me a week to figure out (duh!). But since then... man! What a monster plugin!

Don't be afraid to use it just because the upgrade might not recognize your user-presets. First of all, I'd be very surprised if it does NOT recognize your previous settings. Secondly, when that happens, I view it as a 2nd chance to get things even better than before, and it always seems to work that way.

In fact, I prefer dialing in my own settings in each project over using my saved presets. I think it helps you become familiar and confident in your ability to imagine an outcome and visualize the settings that will realize that outcome. I only make presets when I have to spread them out over dozens of instances, as in the mastering of an album's worth of material, or a lot of fiddle tracks, and that sort of thing. But from project to project, I tend to dial in all my settings at least once, before saving them and spreading them around.

And I think that's important enough to say again in another way: stay familiar with the interface, the controls, and always... always... the acoustic reasons for moving any control, any amount. It's easy to become dependent on a preset and forget even what it does or how you came about those settings. For example, it took me a long time to really and truly wrap my head around what's going on in Waves L3 MultiMaximizer. I finally set up a simple mastering situation and spent a couple of hours just setting things to extremes, then backing off and gradually learning exactly what result is going to come from each action in those controls. My mixes got a lot better when I did that. Now I use FG-X for most things, but I know when and why I reach for the L3 from time to time.

Don't let any plugin intimidate you. They are all learnable from an acoustic/physics-based approach, and almost always use pre-visualization to guide your hands on the controls. You hear what you want it to sound like, and you set it to sound that way. I said "almost always" because there's something to be said for the random results from playing around with the controls, but underneath it all should be a solid grounding in reality and the cause/effects of audio alterations in acoustic, analog, and digital settings.

That said, FG-X is one of the most fluid tools I own for getting whats in my mind's ear to come out my speakers. It seems to know what I want. That says a lot about its designer(s).

Shooshie
If you ever have time, Shooshie (yeah, right), I would love to watch and listen to a video of you working and explaining your way with FG-X. I would get a lot out of it, as would others. Of course, I think you should start your own training channel and charge for it. There's plenty of us who would pay.

Too bad I don't rule the world.
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dan Worley wrote:If you ever have time, Shooshie (yeah, right), I would love to watch and listen to a video of you working and explaining your way with FG-X. I would get a lot out of it, as would others. Of course, I think you should start your own training channel and charge for it. There's plenty of us who would pay.
While time is a factor, of course, it's more a feeling that there are so many people so much more qualified to explain this stuff than I. Ironically, I just made a video to make a point in another thread about the proportional fader throw in DP being by design, and not a bug. But even there I'm plagued with the feeling that maybe this didn't used to work, and maybe it's only now working with DP8.05 -- which is a good thing, of course, that it does work. I just can't remember if this was once indeed a bug. It seems like I've made that point many times over the years, however. So, I made a video this time.

I'm getting more comfortable making vids. I don't script them or anything; just one take and we get what we got. Sometimes I'll cut out an uncomfortable pause, just to save time. But I've made fun of some pretty silly "help" videos in DP, and I have visions of being just as silly. What goes around comes around, I guess.

Not too long ago a piece of paper fell out of my DP manual. On it was a list of about 20 or 30 topics that I once thought I should make videos about. Maybe I should do that. I wish I knew how to make money doing it, but I'd feel terrible charging you guys anything to watch a video of mine, and you guys are my only audience, so... I guess it'll just have to be for free until someone educates me on the possibilities.
Dan Worley wrote:Too bad I don't rule the world.
If you did, I think I'd rather live in that world, Dan!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Dan Worley wrote:If you ever have time, Shooshie (yeah, right), I would love to watch and listen to a video of you working and explaining your way with FG-X. I would get a lot out of it, as would others. Of course, I think you should start your own training channel and charge for it. There's plenty of us who would pay.
Shooshie wrote:While time is a factor, of course, it's more a feeling that there are so many people so much more qualified to explain this stuff than I.
They aren't you, Shooshie. I'm not going to break that down all the way because the list is way too long, but a short list is they don't have your history, experience, education, hands-on, ears, brain, vocabulary, articulation, eloquence, musical and writing skills, intuitiveness, reasoning, etc. You are valuable!
Shooshie wrote:Ironically, I just made a video to make a point in another thread about the proportional fader throw in DP being by design, and not a bug. But even there I'm plagued with the feeling that maybe this didn't used to work, and maybe it's only now working with DP8.05 -- which is a good thing, of course, that it does work. I just can't remember if this was once indeed a bug. It seems like I've made that point many times over the years, however. So, I made a video this time.
Yes, I saw that and it made perfect sense, even though I wish it worked differently. I will remember that now that I saw it. I did not remember it when I only read it.
Shooshie wrote:I'm getting more comfortable making vids. I don't script them or anything; just one take and we get what we got. Sometimes I'll cut out an uncomfortable pause, just to save time. But I've made fun of some pretty silly "help" videos in DP, and I have visions of being just as silly. What goes around comes around, I guess.

Not too long ago a piece of paper fell out of my DP manual. On it was a list of about 20 or 30 topics that I once thought I should make videos about. Maybe I should do that. I wish I knew how to make money doing it, but I'd feel terrible charging you guys anything to watch a video of mine, and you guys are my only audience, so... I guess it'll just have to be for free until someone educates me on the possibilities.
There's only a few people on this planet that have as much experience with DP as you do. That has value! You should not feel guilty in any way if you would like to make some money by sharing it. I think you've already done your share of pro bono.

The more videos you do the more comfortable you will get and the more you will know what works and what doesn't. You might want to outline first, but maybe not. That might not be your thing.

I can make your videos available as paid downloads until you get something else in place.
DP10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Dan Worley wrote:Oh, and one more important reason why I like Slate Digital: Fabrice Gabriel is an absolute meticulous genius when it comes to designing algorithms that faithfully replicate analog characteristics.
+1
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!