What exactly is a VCA group in ProTools?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What exactly is a VCA group in ProTools?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Now I'm blushing. You're too kind.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

mikehalloran wrote:Goodgawd, what have I done? :deadhorse: :shake:
:?:
DP10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:I'll remind you guys that pulling faders down is not the problem, and pulling down and then back up will give you good results as long as you don't go over their starting values.

As soon as the faders go above their starting values, that's when DP starts adjusting for the differences in their throw, wanting them to all reach the top at the same time.

Adding a dummy track can't help us.

:cry:
Sounds like a "dummy" fader algorithm is already included in the latest build of DP anyway...lol :smash:
Dude, the dummy is the guy who sits back and snipes at those who are making a real effort to figure this stuff out. We've got the answer now, at least part of it, if not all of it. Check the thread in the other forum if you want to know where things stand. Meanwhile, try contributing to the outcome in some way other than ridicule. I'd appreciate that.

Thanks,

Shooshie
Oh my....
There must be some quote somewhere about what it means in life when one loses their sense of humor. You are VERY serious in your response, I was making a joke. I am sorry bro but I am not going to get all serious with you. Be mad if you like, be annoyed, be frustrated..or, realize it was a light joke and "lighten up".
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote: Oh my....
There must be some quote somewhere about what it means in life when one loses their sense of humor. You are VERY serious in your response, I was making a joke. I am sorry bro but I am not going to get all serious with you. Be mad if you like, be annoyed, be frustrated..or, realize it was a light joke and "lighten up".
Oh, my sense of humor isn't the problem 2dam. I've laughed a thousand times with you, bro, but ridicule sometimes sounds more mean-spirited than funny, and that just gets annoying. Lighten up, yourself.

Not mad or annoyed or frustrated; just telling it like it is.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

I'd like to see the Trim plug included as an in-line processor on the mixing console. Additional to that, when the trim plug is instantiated on a channel, I'd like to see a drop-down menu for choosing to assign the Trim plug gain pot to one of 8 or even 16 VCA groups. That way I could automate the one VCA fader and control any number of gain pots/channels pre insert & pre fader - i.e. just like real world VCA. That would be a real time saver :)
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:
toodamnhip wrote: Oh my....
Oh, my sense of humor isn't the problem 2dam. I've laughed a thousand times with you, bro, but ridicule sometimes sounds more mean-spirited than funny, and that just gets annoying. Lighten up, yourself.

Not mad or annoyed or frustrated; just telling it like it is.

Shooshie
You’re not tellin’ NOTHIN’ like it is because I am me and I know I was joking and had no intent to ridicule. How can you say you are telling ME what I mean when I type something? Were you here with me? It was a joke based off of the guy having a fix that had the word “dummy” fader in it.
The day you know more about what I mean when I say something is the day you will be some all powerful psychic. What you do know is how YOU feel, so YOU got uptight. So YOU lighten up. Why do I say YOU are uptight? Because you got on the line all heavy and started telling me ••••. The only ridicule came from YOU about what I said. Did I ridicule YOU? No...
So who needs to lighten bro?...YOU. It was a joke. YOU do not know what I mean when I type. If I say it was a light hearted joke, all you can say is YOU, didn’t like it. Then I say YOU misinterpreted and I am sorry that happened. But then you must believe me that I was kidding and quite calling it ridicule. .....and lighten up.
Or..don;t lighten up, and then, it’s all on you.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Image
Gulp, Swig, sip sip sip...... :D
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Last edited by cuttime on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:You’re not tellin’ NOTHIN’ like it is because I am me and I know I was joking and had no intent to ridicule. How can you say you are telling ME what I mean when I type something? Were you here with me? It was a joke based off of the guy having a fix that had the word “dummy” fader in it.
The day you know more about what I mean when I say something is the day you will be some all powerful psychic. What you do know is how YOU feel, so YOU got uptight. So YOU lighten up. Why do I say YOU are uptight? Because you got on the line all heavy and started telling me ••••. The only ridicule came from YOU about what I said. Did I ridicule YOU? No...
So who needs to lighten bro?...YOU. It was a joke. YOU do not know what I mean when I type. If I say it was a light hearted joke, all you can say is YOU, didn’t like it. Then I say YOU misinterpreted and I am sorry that happened. But then you must believe me that I was kidding and quite calling it ridicule. .....and lighten up.
Now THAT'S funny!
O, the ironies!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:You’re not tellin’ NOTHIN’ like it is because I am me and I know I was joking and had no intent to ridicule. How can you say you are telling ME what I mean when I type something? Were you here with me? It was a joke based off of the guy having a fix that had the word “dummy” fader in it.
Now THAT'S funny!
O, the ironies!

Shoosh
Good..finally a chuckle..... :woohoo:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yuck, yuck! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:Yuck, yuck! :)
Remember man, I owe you a beer at NAMM.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

Come on guys - back on the subject :D
Do you think this would be good to have as a feature of the mixing desk? Having spent years mixing live on a large format Midas console with VCA groups I can see how the inclusion of "VCA groups" (actually, to be accurate, it would be DCA groups) would be very useful. Automation of sub-group/aux tracks or fader groups is not quite the same thing. I've sent this as a suggestion to Motu.
davedempsey wrote:I'd like to see the Trim plug included as an in-line processor on the mixing console. Additional to that, when the trim plug is instantiated on a channel, I'd like to see a drop-down menu for choosing to assign the Trim plug gain pot to one of 8 or even 16 VCA groups. That way I could automate the one VCA fader and control any number of gain pots/channels pre insert & pre fader - i.e. just like real world VCA. That would be a real time saver :)
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

davedempsey wrote:Come on guys - back on the subject :D
Do you think this would be good to have as a feature of the mixing desk? Having spent years mixing live on a large format Midas console with VCA groups I can see how the inclusion of "VCA groups" (actually, to be accurate, it would be DCA groups) would be very useful. Automation of sub-group/aux tracks or fader groups is not quite the same thing. I've sent this as a suggestion to Motu.
davedempsey wrote:I'd like to see the Trim plug included as an in-line processor on the mixing console. Additional to that, when the trim plug is instantiated on a channel, I'd like to see a drop-down menu for choosing to assign the Trim plug gain pot to one of 8 or even 16 VCA groups. That way I could automate the one VCA fader and control any number of gain pots/channels pre insert & pre fader - i.e. just like real world VCA. That would be a real time saver :)
I think you might want to ask yourself about MOTU’s priorities? The moment I got excited about VCA groups, members on here came in big time about how DP can already do the same thing. I would think MOTU would feel the same way if even it’s members can think VCA groups some sort of a redundant feature. So while your desires for VCA groups aren’t wrong, don;t you think there are other, long awaited features like MIDI muting, that DP should or would want to get to 1st?

It would be nice of someone with the patience of SHooshie would cull and compile a list of user requests and then prioritize by # of requests and yrs behind schedule some feature requests for Dp are.

If you think in those terms, where do you think VCA groups would land? I would not guess this to be a high priority. But “DP efficiency”--“MIDI muting”--“Bug Fixes” in long broken features here and there, these would probably be high on any given list.

It would also be nice if MOTU would publish and compile their request list so that we could all chime in or at least know where are desires for improvements lie in the “waiting list”.
Now serving # 78, "VCA Fader Groups”... :D
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13