What exactly is a VCA group in ProTools?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What exactly is a VCA group in ProTools?

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
Phil O wrote:In the other thread that he posted he suggests a starting value of +6dB which I already thought about but haven't had a chance to try yet, but is sounds like a good work-around.
Phil
That doesn't work either. For a start, you can't use the dummy to increase levels from the initial setting. (If you aren't going to do this, there isn't a problem in the first place.) And if you use one the other faders to increase levels for the group, the relative levels are still compressed.

Yeah, basically I think we're screwed until MOTU actually fixes this. And yet I've used fader groups on occasion without any real trouble, unaware that they were changing their relative parallel settings on me, because I didn't bother to look. The result was apparently not bad, but if I'd been doing something with very narrow tolerances, I'm sure it would NOT have been good.

Something I'd like to see, but don't have time to try any time soon, is the actual output values of the tracks with parallel-grouped faders. It's occurred to me that it could be a cosmetic bug, where the output is correct but the numbers on the faders is not. The faders seem to flatten near Infinity, but in fact they are just exhibiting the logarithmic nature of the scale, where small differences become almost indistinguishable because of the large values. (Infinity is pretty big, you know?) The other end, above Unity, may not be right, but then again I'd like to know exactly what's being output. Maybe someday. Hopefully MOTU will fix it before I get that chance.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Oh well, maybe I'll send this off to MOTU and see what they say.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I dropped the following into MOTU's Feedback/Suggestion Box. I hope I explained it correctly, but they'll know.

Please let them know if you also want this implemented. I've been wanting it for years. Please note: My request is specifically for Audio tracks. I didn't mention MIDI tracks because I rarely use MIDI and maybe the way it works now is perfect for MIDI. I wouldn't know.

MOTU's feedback/suggestion box
Hello,

In DP, please provide a way to have grouped audio track faders move by the same amount.

E.g., When Track-A is pushed up by 2dB, Track-B should also move up by exactly 2dB.

As it is now, the group compensates for the fader's full throw and the offset position of each fader, in that way, they all reach the top of the throw (+6) at the same time. This behavior produces a problem.

E.g., If Track-A is set to -4dB and Track-B is set to -6dB, when Track-A is moved up by 2dB, Track-B moves up by 2.52dB. This makes it impossible to adjust mixes accurately when using groups.

Thank you,

Dan Worley
A DP user
DP10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm not certain that there's anything to "fix". The human brain does not perceive loudness by the numbers. It's possible that this relative curve was done by design.

OK, probably not or MOTU would tell us and refer to a white paper explaining the theory and science behind it. Did it have you going for a second? :lol:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

mikehalloran wrote:I'm not certain that there's anything to "fix". The human brain does not perceive loudness by the numbers. It's possible that this relative curve was done by design.

OK, probably not or MOTU would tell us and refer to a white paper explaining the theory and science behind it. Did it have you going for a second? :lol:
Yes, you did. :mumble: :lol:

I think it's a holdover design from Performer that has not been updated or addressed for Digital Performer. It's actually a cool design, it just doesn't make sense for adjusting grouped levels, at least not accurately. There are workarounds, of course, but not as many as you might think when grouped faders have post-fader Sends involved. It sure would be much more convenient if they modify the way this works. They probably will have to make it a preference, though. Hopefully this will be possible.
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Here's the can of worms that I fear we may be opening. This whole realm of acoustics is rife with changing curves when it comes to graphs of relatives loudness. Most of us have seen a Fischer-Munson graph showing the perceived loudness of different frequencies at different volumes. Actually, it may be Fletcher-Munson. One of them, anyway. The point of it is that a perfect mix, in which all parts are intelligently balanced and the whole mix makes perfect sense, will become a less perfect mix as soon as you change the volume even by a little bit, but it becomes a terrible mix when you change the volume by a lot.

Therefore, if you mix with your monitors turned up to rock-concert levels, someone who listens to your work at normal household levels will not hear the same mix. There is no fixing this problem. It's a feature of being human and having normally working ears.

So, when we have faders and multiple tracks, we fool ourselves into believing that we've found the perfect mix, with all our perfect automated movements, when in fact it all goes out the window as soon as someone adjusts the volume so that it no longer reflects the sound levels heard by the mixing engineer. This isn't speculation; it's the law. Well, I don't know if Fletcher and Munson ever made any laws, but the graph represents something very real which they set out to observe in the interest of improving telephone communications.

Here's one I found on Wikipedia:

Notice that it's not just one line representing sensitivity to sound pressure, but that it implies that every pitch has its own curve. Further, they probably vary from person to person.

Ok now that I've made THAT point, how do you translate these curves into fader movements? And if you can, then how do you make relative fader movements?

To put it simply: any adjustment you make is only meaningful at one pitch OR at one dynamic level. Change one of those, and you may be able to compensate, but mere fader movements cannot compensate for both.

I've wondered all along if MOTU had attempted some sort of compensation. The mere use of a logarithmic scale only compensates for the logarithmic nature of deciBells. When you start making parallel grouped fader moves that are separated by any amount, they are going to have to move by different amounts to maintain "relative loudness." But if you're talking about tracks with different pitches — say, a bass track and a female vocal track — then all bets are off for maintaining any kind of relative loudness through some grouped moves. You'd have to do some digital signal processing with look-ahead pitch monitoring to make this accurate.

For this reason, in my original video on this subject, I called motorized fader movements a convenience. GROUPED motorized faders are also convenient, but they cannot be done accurately without complex computer processing, which is why I said that MOTU simply had to choose a method and go with it. There is no "right" method.

Of course, I got laughed at for talking about theoretical aspects by certain folks who know who they are. For example, 2damnhip wrote:
  • I’m really not all that interested in theoretical explanation. I’d have become an electrician if I wanted that. I want all the faders to move by the same db amounts..up or down. +1 for all, not +1 for one of them , +.56 for another etc...crazy.
    But I do ‘pologize” to Shoosh because he’s the boss.
An electrician? :lol: Ok, whatever. But it should be obvious that what 2dam and others want is pretty much impossible through mere fader groupings. My advice to everyone would be not to depend on grouped faders to maintain any kind of consistent loudness relationships through their movements other than in a very general way, in a narrow range of values. If what you want requires accuracy, you'll have to do it by ear, unless someone comes up with a complex look-ahead plugin that calculates pitch and loudness and adjusts them to the Fletcher-Munson scale while your faders are moving. That's probably not going to happen.

This is why I've found this thread frustrating. None of us really knows what's going on, and while it appears that MOTU should fix this for consistency, in reality it's not going to make a lot of difference for reasons described above.

Those are my opinions, and I return to my position from my first video: this is a convenience; not a scientific method of maintaining accurate sound-pressure relationships, because those go out the window as soon as you move those faders, AND as soon as your listener changes the volume level at which it's being played back on their end stereo system.

Some of you will get what I'm saying. Others will ridicule it and suggest I save it for electricians [sic]. But even if MOTU fixes this, we're really not going to get what we want, because it's not possible. It's an interesting topic, and it's been fun chasing down the apparent problem, but I remain skeptical that fixing that will really "fix" anything, though it will look better to anyone watching the numbers. This doesn't mean I like the way it is, or that I choose any side of the debate. It means that I think the whole debate is kind of pointless in the end, because the work of Fletcher and Munson for AT&T pretty much guarantees that it is.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The db measure was in part an early attempt to use a measure that bears some relationship to perception, but as you show with these charts, it's not that good it. I don't think you can translate these into fader movements, other than by listening, but that applies to the entire range of levels, not just those near the top.

Maybe there is a sensible pyscho-acoustic reason for the way MOTU did this, and perhaps we'll hear from them -- maybe we'll even get an option to keep the differences constant in an update. Meanwhile, there are loads of alternatives.

As for electricians, I've worked with quite a few, and never met one who gave any thought to theory. They're more concerned with what will work. We need more electricians.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I think you're over thinking it, Shoosh. No DAW or mixing console is smart enough to know by how much or little to turn something down or up. Besides, if what you're suggesting were true, then it would work exactly the opposite going down as it does up, and it certainly does not do that.

Simple example (never mind about workarounds, folks, this is an example to get a point across): Let's say we have just two tracks grouped, a top snare and a bottom snare. The top snare has a fader position of -4 and measures -7dB on the meter. The bottom snare has a fader position of -9 and also measures -7dB on the meter. We like how they sound together. Their relative balance is pleasing to us, but we want to push them both up by 2dB. We push the top snare fader to -2. Oops, the bottom goes up to -5.62. We think we did something wrong so we put them back to -4 and -9 and this time we move the bottom fader. Oops, now the top fader is at -2.84. W-T-Heck.

Now, if you don't think those discrepancies in the levels make a difference in the mix, well, then, that's just crazy talk. :shock: :shock: :shock:

As I mentioned earlier, I think DP's behavior of adjusting the offsets of the faders to match the throw is a holdover from Performer when we were not dealing with audio tracks.
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Or just route the group in question to a single aux fader and just move that?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dan Worley wrote:I think you're over thinking it, Shoosh. No DAW or mixing console is smart enough to know by how much or little to turn something down or up.
It wouldn't be the first time I've been guilty of overthinking, but your point merely echoes my own: DAWs can't know how to compensate for the Fletcher Munson curves, because Pitch and Loudness each change the sensitivity range with which we hear them. If it could be done, it would be extremely complicated.

But we're drawing different conclusions. You're thinking that if MOTU cleaned up the motion of their grouped faders, it would fix the relationships of the audio in those tracks. I'm in complete agreement that they need to fix the numbers, but I think the results are somewhat arbitrary, since pitch and loudness change the relationships between the tracks probably more than MOTU's errors. They really have to be adjusted by ear.

Dan Worley wrote: Besides, if what you're suggesting were true, then it would work exactly the opposite going down as it does up, and it certainly does not do that.
Not following you there. I don't think that's in any way related to what I was saying, but maybe I just don't understand your point.
Dan Worley wrote:Simple example (never mind about workarounds, folks, this is an example to get a point across): Let's say we have just two tracks grouped, a top snare and a bottom snare. The top snare has a fader position of -4 and measures -7dB on the meter. The bottom snare has a fader position of -9 and also measures -7dB on the meter. We like how they sound together. Their relative balance is pleasing to us, but we want to push them both up by 2dB. We push the top snare fader to -2. Oops, the bottom goes up to -5.62. We think we did something wrong so we put them back to -4 and -9 and this time we move the bottom fader. Oops, now the top fader is at -2.84. W-T-Heck.

Now, if you don't think those discrepancies in the levels make a difference in the mix, well, then, that's just crazy talk. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Of course it makes a difference. My point, however, is not that it doesn't make any difference. My point is that depending on whether the sound gets louder or changes pitch or both, neither level is necessarily the right one. The only way to get it really to sound the same is to do it by ear.
Dan Worley wrote:As I mentioned earlier, I think DP's behavior of adjusting the offsets of the faders to match the throw is a holdover from Performer when we were not dealing with audio tracks.
That's entirely possible. Even probable. But even if the numbers are fixed, you're still going to have to fine-tune it by ear, because as you change loudness and pitch, the relationships between the tracks are not linear. The Fletcher Munson curves demonstrate this, and this is what I had in mind when I said that at best these groups are just conveniences. They cannot be totally accurate, no matter how they do it. The only tool capable of that is the ear. Even then, if the listener turns down the volume very low, it completely changes all the ratios between the tracks. Likewise, turning it up louder.

Yes, MOTU should fix the numbers. But the whole idea of using grouped faders to maintain a linear relationship between the tracks is a flawed one. It just doesn't work in real life. It's pretty close, but then again MOTU's errors are pretty close, too. The bottom line is that all this is much ado about very little.

Shooshie
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Or just route the group in question to a single aux fader and just move that?
Hey, I said no workarounds. :brucelee: :lol:

You know why that would not work in most cases? Post-fader Sends. You just changed the balance between your dry and wet tracks. That's why it's not just a simple workaround and why Track Groups needs to be updated.
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:I think you're over thinking it, Shoosh. No DAW or mixing console is smart enough to know by how much or little to turn something down or up.
It wouldn't be the first time I've been guilty of overthinking, but your point merely echoes my own: DAWs can't know how to compensate for the Fletcher Munson curves, because Pitch and Loudness each change the sensitivity range with which we hear them. If it could be done, it would be extremely complicated.

But we're drawing different conclusions. You're thinking that if MOTU cleaned up the motion of their grouped faders, it would fix the relationships of the audio in those tracks. I'm in complete agreement that they need to fix the numbers, but I think the results are somewhat arbitrary, since pitch and loudness change the relationships between the tracks probably more than MOTU's errors. They really have to be adjusted by ear.

Dan Worley wrote: Besides, if what you're suggesting were true, then it would work exactly the opposite going down as it does up, and it certainly does not do that.
Not following you there. I don't think that's in any way related to what I was saying, but maybe I just don't understand your point.
Dan Worley wrote:Simple example (never mind about workarounds, folks, this is an example to get a point across): Let's say we have just two tracks grouped, a top snare and a bottom snare. The top snare has a fader position of -4 and measures -7dB on the meter. The bottom snare has a fader position of -9 and also measures -7dB on the meter. We like how they sound together. Their relative balance is pleasing to us, but we want to push them both up by 2dB. We push the top snare fader to -2. Oops, the bottom goes up to -5.62. We think we did something wrong so we put them back to -4 and -9 and this time we move the bottom fader. Oops, now the top fader is at -2.84. W-T-Heck.

Of course it makes a difference. My point, however, is not that it doesn't make any difference. My point is that depending on whether the sound gets louder or changes pitch or both, neither level is necessarily the right one. The only way to get it really to sound the same is to do it by ear.
Dan Worley wrote:As I mentioned earlier, I think DP's behavior of adjusting the offsets of the faders to match the throw is a holdover from Performer when we were not dealing with audio tracks.
That's entirely possible. Even probable. But even if the numbers are fixed, you're still going to have to fine-tune it by ear, because as you change loudness and pitch, the relationships between the tracks are not linear. The Fletcher Munson curves demonstrate this, and this is what I had in mind when I said that at best these groups are just conveniences. They cannot be totally accurate, no matter how they do it. The only tool capable of that is the ear. Even then, if the listener turns down the volume very low, it completely changes all the ratios between the tracks. Likewise, turning it up louder.

Yes, MOTU should fix the numbers. But the whole idea of using grouped faders to maintain a linear relationship between the tracks is a flawed one. It just doesn't work in real life. It's pretty close, but then again MOTU's errors are pretty close, too. The bottom line is that all this is much ado about very little.

Shooshie
Yes, it should be fixed, changed, updated (whatever), but as for the rest, we'll just have to disagree, and that's fine.

Using our ears is one thing, but why would we want something changing things on us arbitrarily? Sorry, that makes no sense.

All I can say is that when I move a fader by by 8, 4, 2, 1, .5, .03 or .01, I'd better get that change in level or I won't be happy, and everyone is going to hear about it. :mumble:
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Dan Worley wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Or just route the group in question to a single aux fader and just move that?
Hey, I said no workarounds. :brucelee: :lol:

You know why that would not work in most cases? Post-fader Sends. You just changed the balance between your dry and wet tracks. That's why it's not just a simple workaround and why Track Groups needs to be updated.
I am, once again, ashamed! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
I am, once again, ashamed! :)
Yeah, right. Hey, if I could play like you, I wouldn't even do my own typing. And your stuff always sounds great! I listen.
DP10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Goodgawd, what have I done? :deadhorse: :shake:

In my avatar to the left, the words I sang as that picture was snapped were, "Beware, Beware! Beware!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mklGEC1C-EY
Last edited by mikehalloran on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro