What exactly is a VCA group in ProTools?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
csavetman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What exactly is a VCA group in ProTools?

Post by csavetman »

davedempsey wrote:I'd like to see the Trim plug included as an in-line processor on the mixing console. Additional to that, when the trim plug is instantiated on a channel, I'd like to see a drop-down menu for choosing to assign the Trim plug gain pot to one of 8 or even 16 VCA groups. That way I could automate the one VCA fader and control any number of gain pots/channels pre insert & pre fader - i.e. just like real world VCA. That would be a real time saver :)
Dave-

There's a plugin made by Blue Cat Audio called Gain, I think. It does basically what you describe. It's a trim plugin.
The interesting feature is that it has 8 assignable groups that you can use to link them together. Change gain on one tracks gain plug and they all change. You can have offsets as well.

I tried it last night. Problem is the lag. It takes a few seconds for all the channels to come to the same adjusted volume.

Automating them also played back with the lag. For just making a static change however from the beginning of a track, it could work however.

FWIW, I've also noticed the same type of lag adjusting group levels using Slate VCC and Waves NLS. Could be just a limitation of having plugins on different channels trying to "communicate" and stay in sync level wise.

Still, would LOVE DP to implement some kind of built in VCA setup for mixing. Definitely helps with keeping the post fader send level relationships in tact, as well as flexibility of routing.

Carlos