The MOTU control app... did they forget about it?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Tripi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The MOTU control app... did they forget about it?

Post by Tripi »

I was just thinking about how excited I was when MOTU released that iphone app, and how I never touch it anymore. I put it on my ipad and my iphone. Every once in a while I'll open it to start playback from my couch. Has anyone seen a single update on this app since it came out? I update my apps frequently, and I don't recall seeing a notice on the app store.

The reason I got thinking about it, was because I just installed logic pro x, and the ipad app that goes with it. I'll always be a DP advocate, but apple blew it out of the water with this app. It connects perfectly, with low latency, and it has functions that I actually use. I mean... functions that you can't get from hitting the keyboard or mouse with your hands. Creative stuff, and it's so easy to customize. I wish someone at MOTU would use it for an hour and see all of the possibilities for DP with a proper app. Maybe I'll ask them at NAMM next month.

Back to the original question: is anyone using the DP app still?
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
cuttime

Re: The MOTU control app... did they forget about it?

Post by cuttime »

No, because it has been badly broken in iOS 7. If (or when) it is updated, I will continue to use it again.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This sounds like a company policy issue, etc. Moving to appropriate forum.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'm still using it on an iPhone 4S and a current gen iPad. Works fine, but then I'm not trying to remix from my car or anything. I start and stop, rewind, record, make new takes, mute tracks, undo, turn the click on and off, enter new counter positions..... It doesn't seem broken, but I know a lot of people have had trouble with it. I can only assume they're doing stuff I'm not.

As for Apple's app... I'm sure it's awesome, since it's their device. But the downside is you have to use Logic.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Gravity Jim wrote:It doesn't seem broken, but I know a lot of people have had trouble with it. I can only assume they're doing stuff I'm not.
It doesn't work properly (at all, really) with the latest IOS, MOTU have confirmed this to me (reported in another thread on the same topic).
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Well, I don't know why, but I'm running the latest OS on the phone, the iPad and the Mac, and I was using it again just this afternoon stacking guitars on a jingle thing. For whatever reason, it does work for for me with all the functionality I require from it.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

So for some people the App is not working, you have to understand the gravity of this situation Jim. :sorry: :lol:
I use my iPad to control DP from where I play guitar or sing. If I am recording someone else then I am at the computer.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.