WHich features do you all think MOTU should advertise?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

WHich features do you all think MOTU should advertise?

Post by toodamnhip »

Coming from another post, I decided to make this a new thread.
I would like to see MOTU make an ad campaign for every unique and GREAT feature DP has.

I would like to see the industry bias for Pro Tools and other DAWS being “the best”, be chipped away at.
So the question is:
WHich features do you all think MOTU should make an Ad campaign for?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Gravity Jim

Re: WHich features do you all think MOTU should advertise?

Post by Gravity Jim »

While my instinct is to say "you don't advertise features until you've established a massive brand presence (like a car company, for example)," what I'll really say is that I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what MOTU should advertise without access to their marketing intelligence.

But you guys go ahead and have your fun. :)
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

- On top of the feature curve (DP has introduced many of the widely adopted "must have" DAW features, and will likely continue to)

- Customizable to suit any workflow style (it's almost scary how many different ways there are to do the same thing in DP), including skins.

- Incredibly high quality effects plugins for mixing, mastering, and guitar processing right out of the box. Also compatible with the largest number of plugin protocols.

- Consistent Training and support from industry professionals.

- 30 day demo

There's pretty much only one area that DP is having to hide from, and that is their VI set. I will say that is pretty lacking considering the competition, and means a lot to those just building up their system. I have a hunch that's probably going to be seriously dealt with in DP9. DP6 was an interface overhaul, DP7 was a giant stability update, and DP8 was a code and 64bit overhaul. DP9 will probably concentrate on new features and an expanded VI library, is my guess.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

CHUNKS!

I don't care if some people don't like the name, having multiple chunks in projects, and the ability to load and create as many as you want or need, well, it's just incredibly fantastic for any kind of work or style.
DP10.13
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Video/film support, esp. surround.

If you are on a Mac and want to do something in 5.1+ involving MIDI and audio, Logic doesn't really cover it, and to move to PT in surround still costs a ton. DP is almost alone with that sort of feature set on the Mac.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Chunks, and the fact that DP has full featured surround compared to Logic, Pro Tools and Cubase, are both dead on.

Along with Chunks comes the concept of V-Racks.

Multiple Mixes via the Mix Mode Menu.

Clippings! <--- Live has something similar, but not as powerful, for instance you can set a Startup Clipping to open another application like Reason if you wanted to.

I don't know about Pro Tools or Cubase? but I'm pretty sure you can't adjust tempo to audio in Logic like you can in DP?

There is no Preview button for quantizing in Logic or Live etc.

The new mix correction features in 8.

At least on the Mac side, DP is far more integrated into Audio MIDI Setup than Logic is.

Independent Film composers have confirmed that DP beats Logic in syncing to film.

I''l come up with more when I'm not as tired, but those are the ones that I know most DAWs don't have, or don't do as well.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I read the 1st set of posts, I liked multiple mixes....that is a really cool feature of DP.

Does anyone know if any other program has this capability?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This does not belong in Troubleshooting/Criticism. This is a post wishing to discuss how MOTU should market DP. It belongs on the OT forum. Moved.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Don't advertise features.
Advertise satisfied users, both amateur and pro.
Feature boasts can be countered and trashed. There's always one DAW that does one feature "better." And another DAW that does another feature better, and so on.

Just get people to try it for a few weeks, long enough to get over the steepest part of the learning curve, and provide video tutorials for getting started, and up to a few advanced techniques.

That's all.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:This does not belong in Troubleshooting/Criticism. This is a post wishing to discuss how MOTU should market DP. It belongs on the OT forum. Moved.
whoops, my bad. Failed to look all the way down the page to bottom where there was "theoretical discussions".

ANYWAY.... more cool features to advertise...........
, the most flexible user definable key commands and...built in pitch correction with MORE flexibility and editing accuracy than ANYTHING out there.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Dan Worley wrote:CHUNKS!
HAHAHA! I just about fell off my chair there, hooray for big fonts!

But no really, by now don't all DAWs have multiple sequences? Bloody no-brainer. Video editors and compositers have had it from day one, DP has had it for longer than I've used it (12 years). I know Pro Tools FINALLY gave in and implemented it. What's the tally? Have Logic, Cubase and Sonar come around?

About the V-Rack. If Logic is anything like MainStage (dammit, I have to pick up a copy of Logic because the progheads I'm working with now all use it, and it's going to make my life easier), then they've got something that's different but basically allows the same workflow: alias channel strips. To be honest, it's kind of weird, and I'd rather they had a V-Rack, but it's basically the same thing. I just create a patch called "Rack", and put all my VIs and effects in there, then I can create aliases in other patches that will draw from the originals... changing the originals or the aliases effects them all, and the signal chain is actually through the originals, so it is functionally IDENTICAL to the rack. Makes a bit of sense for a live host, but I prefer the V-Rack for studio use, as the alias thing seems a bit more "on the fly".
Shooshie wrote:Don't advertise features.
Advertise satisfied users, both amateur and pro.
Feature boasts can be countered and trashed. There's always one DAW that does one feature "better." And another DAW that does another feature better, and so on.
Bingo. One thing I keep trying to tell my (advertising) clients is that advertising is almost never about content but presentation and image building. Clients always come at me with laundry lists of the accolades and services they provide. In that case, my first order of business is to try to rip it up. People don't TRUST advertising, they're too savvy these days, they know that every product and outfit has a million empty boasts they can make. Show don't tell. People get drawn in to the image surrounding a product more than anything. Hard core imperasists will make a stink about this, but if you think about it, if the "facts" are going to be seen as fairly empty, than at least image might actually say more about the product than "facts".
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Prime Mover wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:CHUNKS!
HAHAHA! I just about fell off my chair there, hooray for big fonts!

But no really, by now don't all DAWs have multiple sequences?
No, I don't think so, but it's been awhile since I've used some other DAW, so I don't know for sure.
DP10.13
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James linked this review last week or so. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan00/a ... giperf.htm

This was my first version of DP. Re-reading it, my thoughts were the same: Yea, I want that!

Worked pretty well on a beige G3 with a 2408. I bought it on the recommendation of Sweetwater who listened to what I wanted to do and told me this is what I needed ... and they were right.

I paired it with a Fostex FD-8 and Mackie 1604 that I used for location recording. I used the 2408 in stand-alone to convert the 1604 into ADAT-8 so I'd have 8 channels into the Fostex. I'd plug that into the 324 card to get those 8 channels into my G3. Lots of cables but it worked flawlessly.

Yes, DP does more now but, at its core, the basic functionality of 2.61 is still what I use. Does that make me old or just smart?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Heh, I came in about a year later, sometime after DP3 came out. I didn't really start using it until DP4, and didn't buy it myself until DP5 (using it on studio computers in college lab). But yeah, for better or for worse, 90% of what I use was already there back then. There is a short list of features that I use daily that weren't though:

- Take Comping (DP6)
- Track Folders (DP5... or maybe 4.5, can't remember)
- Little things I can't remember.
— Eric Barker
Eel House