RIP Peter O'Toole

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

RIP Peter O'Toole

Post by cuttime »

His movies had almost as much effect on me as Kubrick's. Particularly "The Ruling Class", which was one of the nastiest, sickest, funniest things I've ever seen. :(

http://www.hulu.com/watch/249578?utm_so ... =criterion
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Tesionman

Re: RIP Peter O'Toole

Post by Tesionman »

:(
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The first movie I could remember from beginning to end was Lawrence of Arabia. It was profoundly moving to me, a kid, which was surprising considering how little of it I actually understood. David Lean played down the most disturbing themes to the culture of the 1960s, namely our [British, actually] patronizing relationship with the peoples of the Arabian lands and Lawrence's alleged homosexuality, but the man was fighting more wars in his head than were evident on the screen, and O'Toole made that clear. Brilliant actor.

To me, his farewell performance was the voice of food critic Anton Ego in Pixar's Ratatouille. He delivered it perfectly. And you got the clear message that he was talking about much, much more than food. An amazing soliloquy that could only be delivered by Peter O'Toole. Brought tears to my eyes, which is more than any other mouse or rat movie ever did! (to say the least)

Do not go gentle into that good night, Mr. O'Toole!
Rage, rage against the dying of the light!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

He made a lot of good movies. RIP
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

Shooshie wrote:The first movie I could remember from beginning to end was Lawrence of Arabia. It was profoundly moving to me, a kid, which was surprising considering how little of it I actually understood. David Lean played down the most disturbing themes to the culture of the 1960s, namely our [British, actually] patronizing relationship with the peoples of the Arabian lands and Lawrence's alleged homosexuality, but the man was fighting more wars in his head than were evident on the screen, and O'Toole made that clear. Brilliant actor.

To me, his farewell performance was the voice of food critic Anton Ego in Pixar's Ratatouille. He delivered it perfectly. And you got the clear message that he was talking about much, much more than food. An amazing soliloquy that could only be delivered by Peter O'Toole. Brought tears to my eyes, which is more than any other mouse or rat movie ever did! (to say the least)

Do not go gentle into that good night, Mr. O'Toole!
Rage, rage against the dying of the light!

Shooshie
Amen, Shooshie. I could never identify a favorite piece of music, or favorite book, or really favorite anything. But I always say my favorite movie is "Aurens". And probably at least partly for the reasons you articulated. Although that scene when he blows out the match and then you see them coming over the sand dune looking like ants and that wonderful music comes in, it gets me every time.
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The first movie I saw of his was Man of La Mancha. It was almost psychedelic.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

cuttime wrote:His movies had almost as much effect on me as Kubrick's. Particularly "The Ruling Class", which was one of the nastiest, sickest, funniest things I've ever seen. :(

http://www.hulu.com/watch/249578?utm_so ... =criterion

F@#in brilliant movie
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14