Ever feel like DP users are a dying breed?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Ever feel like DP users are a dying breed?

Post by toodamnhip »

Prime Mover wrote:Wow, take a look at all those threads. Every single one is a crash/bug report or a newbie who can't figure out some simple task. And their post frequency isn't as much as here, even still. Even worse than I'm seeing on the Apple forum. Though, who knows, maybe today's just a really bad day for that forum.

Yes, troubleshooting is important, but you know what's even more important? Lots of threads on strategies and ways of better using the software once it's working. The 'nation provides that in spades. I see no evidence of that on the forum you showed me.
Unfortunately, the BEST doesn’t always win. And that point should be understood within all of these discussions. ADAT wasn’t the “best”. DA 88s were the best. But somehow ADAT became the standard. And film and tv people used DA 88s because they knew they were the best. But ADATS sold way more than DA 88s. I believe BETA may have been better than VHS, and BETA died.

So yes, DP is great. But rest on that and you could have problems. I bet there are producers out there in this forum better than some guys on radio, and yet these producers could be starving. It takes PR unfortunately to succeed in this world, in addition to talent. Does the “best” music get on radio? Hello no. Are there great artists out there that are starving...hell yes. OK, DP is the best. But they better continue to make that known, (and I am sure they will). I for one, think they have made great strides in the past couple yrs to be more open and promote more. I think they still need to do more, but I have definitely seen a change for the better and hope to see more of the same. But I will say one thing, in the past, when I complained about MOTU’s lack of promotion, I was attacked by some as ungrateful. If I wasn’t right years ago, why has MOTU changed now and “improved”. It’s because they needed to promote better yrs ago. And that lesson still applies. They are really getting better, but they do need to fight hard in today’s marketplace. There is serious bias that everyone should use “pro tools”. That bias needs to be chipped away at aggressively and it will take years of work to catch up. I have said this before and will say it again until MOTU does it, every MAJOR feature of DP should be it;s own ad campaign. That would be a good point of discussion on this board. WHich features do you all think MOTU should make an Ad campaign for? I made a separate thread for this, let’s see who’s interested.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc