Hey Northern California! Dec 11 & 12 screenings...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Hey Northern California! Dec 11 & 12 screenings...

Post by mikehalloran »

I won't be able to leave the South Bay till 5pm but I should make it on time for curtain.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

If this was next year, I'd be there with my hands in the air like I just don't care.

For now I'm still a Hoosier, but mid-summer 2014 we'll be moving the whole mess to the Golden State. Sonoma County, most likely, unless we find a housing bargain in Marin.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

We should be here again in Winter 2014. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Gravity Jim wrote:If this was next year, I'd be there with my hands in the air like I just don't care.

For now I'm still a Hoosier, but mid-summer 2014 we'll be moving the whole mess to the Golden State. Sonoma County, most likely, unless we find a housing bargain in Marin.
Housing bargain in Marin?
I'm withholding the urge to laugh uncontrollably.
My son moved to Marin County (San Rafael) last August, thinking he'd snatch up a Silicon Valley job in no time. He and his gf found a tiny apartment with a good view for about $2500/mo. But for a while he couldn't even get an interview for a job. I was paying his rent and expenses until he found a job. Now he's making 6 figures, plus his gf's job at a research institute (she's a Ph.D. microbiologist) is about half of his salary, so they're doing well. Next month they'll move into a slightly larger apartment at closer to $3000/month. They are saving their money for the inevitable down-time between the next jobs. Of course, houses for sale is another matter. I think they are inflated in value there by the demand for coastal-region living. But Marin is about more than location. It's also about bragging rights and snob appeal. People pay a premium for those things! But I don't blame people for choosing to live there. It's a beautiful area. Truly. And a lot of things to do around there. My son is loving it. He crosses the bay on the ferry each day to work downtown in SF.

Good luck if you move out there. If you can afford to live there, you'll have an absolutely great time.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Damn? I'm all the way in Seattle, but going to be in SF CA for probably all of January. Roughly two weeks late. :x
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Shooshie, I meant a bargain by Marin standards, natch (although we really love Petaluma and will likely land there, we've seen some things in Novato and San Anselmo we like).

We've been shopping for about a year, and have a great realtor in Sonoma County. We can afford it.
Last edited by Gravity Jim on Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Went to the show last night. Nice mix of films again like last year. Larger crowd - may sell out next year.

Spent some time hanging with BobK and MLC afterwards till they kicked us out. Talked film, pianos, upcoming projects and recording software for the iPhone.

A great time was had by all. I'm looking forward to next year.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Gravity Jim wrote:MLC, I mean a bargain by Marin standards, natch (although we really love Petaluma and will likely land there, we've seen some things in Novato and San Anselmo we like).

We've been shopping for about a year, and have a great realtor in Sonoma County. We can afford it.
If you can find something in Fairfax/San Anselmo, get it! That's a really cool place to live. One of my two best friends lives there, and I love going there to visit. And it's just over the hill from Bolinas and Stinson Beach, a place with more than its share of musicians hanging out. In fact, the whole area has a lot of "retired" musicians such as Carlos Santana, Joan Baez, Paul McCandless (Oregon, Paul Winter Consort), and many others.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

We know that area well, Shooshie... My younger son and his wife live on a hill overlooking the valley called Sleepy Hollow. My Uncle Bob (only 7 years older and more like a trusted big brother) and his wife live in Sebastopol, and my older son and his wife live in the city. Were out there a couple of times a year, but with #2 son making us grandparents for the first time, we feel a powerful urge to be closer.

It's cool with the aging Bay Area musicians... We were up in the hills between Sonoma county and Bodega Bay in a tiny town called Occidental, and the cafe there had a sign saying that Nick Gravenites was playing Friday night. Saturday picnics at Tomales Bay Oyster... Shopping for guitar effects at Bananas At Large in San Rafael... Bookstore and Cowgirl Creamery cheese in Pt. Reyes... so fine. Can't wait to make it our home.
Jim Bordner

MIDI Life Crisis

Going o/t even more now...

FWIW, Bananas f%^#ed up royally and on the first night rental sent a crappy Yamaha (the lowest level instrument I've played in many years) on a stand that, at it's lowest setting, placed the keyboard at my nipples when seated on their wobbly and ripped up bench. When called on it by the presenter they were not at all apologetic and said they sold off all the other rentals, and that is the only model they had available.

As far as I'm concerned, they are a bunch of sh^% kickers catering only to amateurs. They would never get my business or recommendation for anything.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Jeez... With a branch of SIR in San Francisco, there's no excuse for a bad setup at any Bay Area venue. Yes, it probably costs more but, not knowing what Banannas At Large charges, perhaps not.

Sherman Clay and Carnes as well as Pro Piano are all a short hop across the bridge. Next year, insist that someone do a little homework and supply you with a decent instrument. That Kawai on Thursday sounded ok but, as you pointed out, there were times when 16 voice polyphony wasn't doing the job.

Thinking of Carnes, they are the big Yamaha dealer in this part of Californa. Now that you are unofficially a Yamaha artist, perhaps it's time to have a talk with them in Buena Park and see if you could make it official. It would mean an adequate instrument wherever you play.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Going o/t even more now...

As far as I'm concerned, they are a bunch of sh^% kickers catering only to amateurs. They would never get my business or recommendation for anything.
That's a damn shame. Since I'm a profesional guitar player, I love them... don't care if their rental stock is any good, I think "shitkickers catering only to amateurs" is pretty overtstayed since renting a piano is pretty far from their primary biz, and I would certainly never contract a rental without knowing exactly what was being delivered.
Jim Bordner

MIDI Life Crisis

I can only speak to my experience. They've rented adequate pianos before. For the record, this one had 64 note polyphony. I would have sang the show a capella before using 16 note rig.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Absolutely Music is another rental option. Nigel is great and reasonably priced, especially for non - profits.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III