Machine wash & dry flash drives?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Machine wash & dry flash drives?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

As above... I inadvertently left a flash drive in my bathrobe pocket and forgot all about it. The laundry was done, hot water, hot dry, and sitting there in the machine was a 16GB Ativa flash drive I bought on closeout.

Blew it out with canned air and let it dry a good long time. Popped it in the Mac and all the data is there. Works fine. :shock:

Just saying' :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Re: Machine wash & dry flash drives?

Post by cuttime »

I've done this several times. Even retrieved one from behind the lint trap. I've never had flash storage ever fail on me.Image
Been watching SSD drives drop in price on a daily basis, and when it becomes financially feasible I hope to abandon spinning platters once and for all.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

I hear that. I'm watching process as well. When I do go for an SSD set of drives I want them to be in the TB range. Preferrablew in the 3-4TB range. I don't mind spending $500 or so but suspect I'll have a bit of a wait for that to happen.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:As above... I inadvertently left a flash drive in my bathrobe pocket and forgot all about it. The laundry was done, hot water, hot dry, and sitting there in the machine was a 16GB Ativa flash drive I bought on closeout.

Blew it out with canned air and let it dry a good long time. Popped it in the Mac and all the data is there. Works fine.
Amazing!
That speaks tons as to the reliability of these devices. Imagine if that had been a regular spinning disk?

Once, my iPhone dropped from my shirt pocket to the toilet... Apparently iPhones are not as reliable under extreme circumstances :lol:

Question: So are SSD drives basically a big flash drive with the exact same mechanism as a flash drive? So you guys think they are as reliable as these masochist flash drives?
If so, that alone justifies the currently higher prices. What do you think?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I hear that. I'm watching process as well. When I do go for an SSD set of drives I want them to be in the TB range. Preferrablew in the 3-4TB range. I don't mind spending $500 or so but suspect I'll have a bit of a wait for that to happen.
Right now that is only possible with RAID. 3-4T of SSD for 5 bills? Yea, I'd be jumping on that, too.

"Dream a little dream..."
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BobK

Post by BobK »

I'm suprised it survived in hot water - I always wash my flash drives on the warm water permanent press cycle and dry on medium-low. And remember to toss one of those anti-static thingies in the dryer; they seem to help keep the data transfer rate at full spec.

:D
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
MIDI Life Crisis

Must have been the anti static thing that restored it. Ha! Only thing on it was the OS 10.9 installer.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

FMiguelez wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Once, my iPhone dropped from my shirt pocket to the toilet... Apparently iPhones are not as reliable under extreme circumstances :lol:
Someone just told they did the same thing and put in a bag of rice overnight and it worked the next day.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.