Cubase 7.5 announced; Steinberg playing catch up...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
nk_e
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cubase 7.5 announced; Steinberg playing catch up...

Post by nk_e »

Hi all.

The other DAW I use the most frequently is Cubase 7. They just announced the update and the interesting thing to me is that it seems to have more stuff than usual aimed at catch up with DP. I wonder if the release on Windows made Cubase sit up and pay a little more attention....

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cu ... s_new.html

It seems like there are some very specific DP functionality they are emulating:

- Track versions = Track takes (I do like being able to define an auxiliary "common version ID" across tracks to allow switching out groups of tracks to a desired version/take. They also imply you could use this to have different versions of whole songs.)
-Track visibility management
- Automatic hit point detection
- Changes to the score editor
- Instrument Racks

This last one is a stretch on my part, but they've made changes to their instrument rack that looks like it may one day a long time from now be able to go the VRacks route. (Disclaimer: Total speculation on my part up next.) The combination of versions + instrument racks begins to put in place a very very limited and kludgey ability to emulate one of the unique abilities of DP: multiple chunks with a VRack. Please note that I said extremely limited and kludgey, but they may laying the groundwork for more robust capability in later versions.

Again, I just wonder if Steinberg view DP as much more of a competitor now that they are the only two long established cross platform traditional DAWs (no diss to StudioOne intended).

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com