FIXED: NI Service Center totally broken; multiple problems

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

FIXED: NI Service Center totally broken; multiple problems

Post by mhschmieder »

I only have time for a quick hit-and-run but don't think anyone has reported this yet.

At least on my computer with a super-fast and totally working internet connection that is able to manually reach NI's website and various portions thereof (though it's EXTREMELY sluggish today on their site), the Service Center claims I don't have an internet connection, and also can't update itself to 2.5.2 (brand-new update from yesterday and there was the 2.5.1 update just eight days prior).

I initially discovered the problem while trying to authorize the just-purchased Hans Zimmer percussion Library from Spitfire Audio inside Kontakt. When that didn't work I went to the Service Center, then tried off-line which wouldn't even start. So then I went to NI's website and downloaded the brand-new 2.5.2 update from here:

http://co.native-instruments.com/index. ... ice_Center

This was a SLIGHT improvement in that I could go to offline mode and successfully request a manual activation from their database. It creates an HTML file on your desktop which you launch to fill in the form. All of this is EXTREMELY sluggish, and then finally it says over and over again that I don't have an account with them.

Maybe they had a Black Friday sale that I ignored and their database is being inundated right now? Or maybe they corrupted their database and many of us will have to sign up again? I don't have time to deal with this right now; I have a commuter train to catch shortly and there's a big gap between them (pretty much my life these days; no flexibility in schedule whatsoever).

When I get home late tonight I'll see if there's any change in status. I really don't want to have to trash my NI account and start from scratch; I have WAY too many NI-registered products and am under the gun (working 100 hours a week for months now). Hopefully there's no deadline on authorizing a just-installed Kontakt Player library, if I have to wait a few weeks for this NI problem to settle itself.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Re: NI Service Center totally broken; multiple problems

Post by mhschmieder »

OK, I think it is traffic-oriented and they're throwing out red herring error messages.

Gotta run in five minutes so can't delve further, but got an email about 50% Black Friday sales; clicked quickly on K9 Ultimate Update and see $199 but don't know if that's before or after the sale and if before, how one gets the sale price (maybe once it's in the shipping cart).

I would be in on it at $99 but no higher as otherwise I'll wait until K10; especially if it's DL-only as that would take eons and be problematic with lots of baby-sitting of the computer and leaving the computer on for a long extended time which I never do.

Anyway, I'm going to assume they're just getting more traffic than their servers can handle and are throwing out wrong messages in the client-side Service Center software as well as having trouble finding people's database records due to time-outs from heavy traffic.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

While waiting for the Thanksgiving turkey to be served, I checked out
the Service Center situation - can't retrieve updates on either of my systems here. Guess it's a combination of it being a holiday and NI's U.S. offices
are closed.

Anyway, hopefully it will get fixed soon.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

I thought the update was around $325 for Ultimate when I checked.... certainly a good deal but I really don't use my Komplete 7 stuff much.

Tempted, however.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
billf

Post by billf »

Earlier today when I went to buy my K9 upgrade, their website is very slow as well.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

FWIW, I just updated my Komplete 9 Ultimate about 2 days about, 35 different downloads, and it all went smooth.

Originally, I was just checking to see if there was a Guitar Rig update, and I was stunned to find *35* available updates, so I decided to go for the whole shebang while I was there. Took over and hour, maybe even longer, to do all 35 downloads and updates, but all went smooth and the whole process seemed reasonably zippy considering how many updates where involved.

Wouldn't surprised if Black Friday traffic creates problems, but I think should all settle down eventually.

Babz
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Quick! Everybody to the website and try to reauthorize so we can talk about how it screwed us next week. LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It's fine now. Service Center did yet another self-update (I guess yesterday's and the week prior's updates had a lot of problems that they ironed out during the day today; not a holiday in Germany). It was also lightning fast, so maybe they did some server upgrades as well.