Time Machine question

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Time Machine question

Post by gavspen »

I'm about to take the DP 8.05/Mavericks plunge (from Snow Leopard) and I've never really had to use Time Machine so let me ask the following: If for some reason the updates dont work/introduce weirdness/go wrong in oh, so many ways, and I have to go back to yesterday via Time Machine, is it a fairly smooth process? What I mean is, aside from restoring earlier versions of software, which I assume works ok, if you go back to an earlier system (which is basically wiping and restoring the whole disc, right?), will authorizations still be there or do you have that whole headache to deal with?

Thanks lads and lasses,
Gavin
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Time Machine question

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I wouldn't depend completely on Time Machine. I would clone the boot drive just in case. Time Machine should be fine in restoring, but you can never be too safe and there may be dependencies that are interrelated in the operation of Time Machine and the original OS. Probably not, but I wouldn't take that chance.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

iLok authorizations - no problem. Disk based authorization where the software looks for a particular license file is ok. Serial number based authorizations, likewise.

You will have to re-authorize DP.

Any internet authorizations should be "released" if possible before running a TM restore or you will be on the horn with Tech Support restoring your licenses. This includes Final Draft and Master Writer (I've never had a problem with either company, BTW, both very understanding).

Finale authorizes the drive address so it's ok unless you swap drive bays.

I have done testing that has completely screwed up my system where a complete TM restore was the only way to recover. Many times - I know this issue inside and out by now.

As of OS 10.8, you can have multiple Time Machine drives that alternate hourly. With inexpensive Time Capsules available and 3T WD Green drives to put in them, it's easy to hook up a couple or three via ethernet.

The first backup will seem to take forever. This is because Spotlight indexes the drive while backing up. It's defeatable but eventually, it will finish.

I have never understood the need for cloning backups except for archival and enterprise - still don't. I use cloning software to set up networked systems.

When your system is telling you that TM is having a problem backing up, there is a problem that should not be ignored.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=56027
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: I have never understood the need for cloning backups except for archival and enterprise - still don't. I use cloning software to set up networked systems.
I don't really know, because I've never had to restore a whole drive from a backup, but from what I read, if you do a block level clone using CCC (not SD!), you will have fewer authorizations to redo after restoring the drive. I can only guess that applies where authorizations are hidden and specific to the drive and the location on the drive -- CCC would capture these and put them back where they were, as long as you use the same drive.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

I've restored entire HEALTHY systems from Time Machine backups without any problems. I just like to be cautious and can't afford to loose my work on the possibility of it not working even once. After the system is restored, I can delete the clone of the previous system.

RE: Spotlight, I'd disable it while the first backup is going and then enable it (Privacy setting is one button push) after the first backup. I'm using dual 2TB drives for the backups. Overly cautious? You betcha!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I've restored entire HEALTHY systems from Time Machine backups without any problems.
Including all of your authorizations?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Of course not. I don't see that as a big deal. Only DP, Adobe, and MS Office seem to want to be reauthorized. That's not a function of the OS, it's a result of authorization implementation by the app developer.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I don't see that as a big deal.
Me neither.

My time is way more important to me than the use of any cloning system for regular backups.

Super Duper! will write to less than perfect hard drives where TM won't. I have some of those drives not yet sent to recycling. This is seen as a fault of Time Machine. That ends the debate right there as far as I am concerned.

I like healthy, squeaky clean systems. Time Machine is one of the tools that I use to maintain order.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Thanks gents.
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs